Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra vs Others

Default Sierra vs Others

I currently have three NHT Super 1’s in my system for LCR which I mate with an ACI Titan. I would like to upgrade the speakers but keep my current configuration with 3 identical bookshelf speakers such as the Sierra. I was also looking at the NHT’s Classic 3 and Aperion’s Verus Grand bookshelf. I was curious if anyone has any experience auditioning these speakers vs the Sierra.

Thanks Bob

Default All in the Family

I haven't heard the speakers you mentioned, but I prefer to have all speakers from the same manufacturer. One great thing about Ascends is they all blend seamlessly. I use HTM 200's, 170's and 340's in my home theater and when there is a pan, there's no change in timbre.

Based on that, I would suggest you go with the NHT's, although I love my Ascends.

Default Re: Sierra vs Others

>when there is a pan, there's no change in timbre.<
    I could not agree more, that is why I run 3 identical bookshelf speakers across the front in my 3.1 setup. For the upgrade, I would replace all three.

Hmmm, I assume I can purchase three Sierras? The Sierra designated as a center on the website, is that a single Sierra or has it been modified in some way. I would position my center vertically.

Thanks Bob

Default Misunderstood

It's Monday and I haven't had enough coffee. I misread what you wrote, even though it was plain as day. I read you were keeping your speakers instead of what you wrote, which was keeping your configuration. Since it's L/C/R, I thought you were going to relegate your current speakers to being surrounds.

So, I can't answer your question. I've heard none of the speakers mentioned, even the Sierra's. I can vouch for the quality of workmanship and the customer service provided by Ascends. Best of luck on your quest!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobm View Post

Hmmm, I assume I can purchase three Sierras? The Sierra designated as a center on the website, is that a single Sierra or has it been modified in some way. I would position my center vertically.

Thanks Bob
    Yes, you could go 3 Sierras across the front. The tweeter for center speaker is horizontally aligned. I'm not sure if there are any crossover changes. However, if you want to place is vertically, email/PM Dave or contact or call their number and they should be able to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobm View Post
    I currently have three NHT Super 1’s in my system for LCR which I mate with an ACI Titan. I would like to upgrade the speakers but keep my current configuration with 3 identical bookshelf speakers such as the Sierra. I was also looking at the NHT’s Classic 3 and Aperion’s Verus Grand bookshelf. I was curious if anyone has any experience auditioning these speakers vs the Sierra.
    I spent a fair amount of time compating the Classic 3 with the CMT-340SE. The Classic 3 is a nice speaker, but 340SE was more dynamic, and seemed a bit cleaner too.

Aperion makes a good speaker, I have heard a few different models, but that the Verus line. That said, with the price points of the speakers I did hear, none of them were on par with Ascends.
    -curtis

thanks all for the coments. -Bob

Hi Curtis,

I understand that the CMT-340 SE is a 2006 design.

Just wondering, with the current offerings from all around, isn't the CMT (or the CBM) getting a little bit old?

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I spent a fair amount of time compating the Classic 3 with the CMT-340SE. The Classic 3 is a nice speaker, but 340SE was more dynamic, and seemed a bit cleaner too.

Aperion makes a good speaker, I have heard a few different models, but that the Verus line. That said, with the price points of the speakers I did hear, none of them were on par with Ascends.

I'd be interested in comparing the new tower with other $2000-range speakers, such as the Salk Ellis 1801B.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    I understand that the CMT-340 SE is a 2006 design.

Just wondering, with the current offerings from all around, isn't the CMT (or the CBM) getting a little bit old?
    The NHT Classic 3 isn't much newer.

The 340SE and 170SE may not be the newest speakers on the block, but to really understand how good they are, you need to compare them.

While I have not heard many of newer offerings that are out there, I am sure that the Ascends would, in the least, hold their own. I think that is also reflected in some of the more recent owner impressions.
    -curtis