Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 340 or Sierra? Need Advice.

Default 340 or Sierra? Need Advice.

I am looking to upgrade my living room setup. I already have an Energy RC setup in the family room which I love but I have wanted Ascends forever. I was looking at a few other brands but keep coming back to the Ascends.

I would only be running a 3.1 setup. I plan on purchasing a new receiver (Denon or Yamaha) and a Rythmik FV12 subwoofer. I will be using this setup for movies, games, and listening to music. Music is important to me which brings me to my next question. Are the 340's good with music (2.1)? I have read quite a few differnet opinions on this (great for home theater but not much info regarding music). I like my Energy setup but it is definitely missing something in the mid level as you turn it up.

I was also looking at the Sierras and really like those but they are quite a bit more than the 340's. I doubt I would get the NRT upgrade because it simply is to expensive at this time (maybe down the road but I have a feeling I would be more than satisified with the stock Sierras). I could swing the Sierras but the 340's are quite a bit cheaper. The Sierras look way nicer but I am used to black box speakers so I could live with the 340 style (plus I would buy the pedestals to put them on).

Any opinions? I don't want to have to buy an external amp to help power either one of these (just the denon/yamaha receiver). I have gone back and forth between them so many times and can't seem to come to a decision.
    Last edited by YOTR; 01-24-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Default From a 340 owner

I have not heard Sierra's, but I can tell you that I'm pleased using my 340's for music. Keep in mind that a lot of movies have great music as well.

I do remember that some who have owned both have expressed a preference for Sierra's for music. I hope they respond as well.

Since you hope to drive them with just and AVR, you may want to factor in the fact that the 340's are more efficient into your decision. I don't know if this has a practical bearing. I do know that I drive my 340's with just my Onkyo TX-NR808 and even at near reference levels, the Onkyo seems to be able to keep up even with all channels driven.

The nice thing about using great speakers is you don't have to turn them up to have a pleasant experience or hear dialog. I have a friend who has a **** setup and he really has to crank it for dialog to be intelligable. My wife and I hate to watch movies on his system because at the end of the movie, we're fatigued. There's no such problem with our 340's. Even after listening to an effects filled film like "Rango" or watching a concert video at heightened levels, there's no fatigue.

I think you'll love either. I'm jealous that you're getting a Rhythmik. I like my SVS PB-12 NSD, but what I really want is twin Ryhthmik 12's!

Default Re: 340 or Sierra? Need Advice.

I have Sierra-1 (L,C,R) that are currently being powered by my Denon 3806. The Denon is more than adequate for the 340's. I also have a set of the HTM-200 as my surrounds.

I started with the 340's, then upgraded to the Sierras. I now have a new HT space that is almost double my original HT space. If I could do it all over again, I would keep the 340s. I find that the Sierras don't provide the space filling volume that the 340s were able to produce. My new setup is exclusively used for movies. I'm now looking to "downgrade" to 340's.

Default Re: From a 340 owner

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I have not heard Sierra's, but I can tell you that I'm pleased using my 340's for music. Keep in mind that a lot of movies have great music as well.

I do remember that some who have owned both have expressed a preference for Sierra's for music. I hope they respond as well.

Since you hope to drive them with just and AVR, you may want to factor in the fact that the 340's are more efficient into your decision. I don't know if this has a practical bearing. I do know that I drive my 340's with just my Onkyo TX-NR808 and even at near reference levels, the Onkyo seems to be able to keep up even with all channels driven.

The nice thing about using great speakers is you don't have to turn them up to have a pleasant experience or hear dialog. I have a friend who has a **** setup and he really has to crank it for dialog to be intelligable. My wife and I hate to watch movies on his system because at the end of the movie, we're fatigued. There's no such problem with our 340's. Even after listening to an effects filled film like "Rango" or watching a concert video at heightened levels, there's no fatigue.

I think you'll love either. I'm jealous that you're getting a Rhythmik. I like my SVS PB-12 NSD, but what I really want is twin Ryhthmik 12's!

Thanks for the response. That's good to know that I wouldn't have trouble driving them if I went that route. I do like to listen to music at loud levels at times (when the kids are out). I just wanted to make sure they still sounded good and that I wasn't compromising something. I am not an audiophile and to me my Energy RC-10's sound pretty good with stereo listening. I assume the 340's would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post
    I have Sierra-1 (L,C,R) that are currently being powered by my Denon 3806. The Denon is more than adequate for the 340's. I also have a set of the HTM-200 as my surrounds.

I started with the 340's, then upgraded to the Sierras. I now have a new HT space that is almost double my original HT space. If I could do it all over again, I would keep the 340s. I find that the Sierras don't provide the space filling volume that the 340s were able to produce. My new setup is exclusively used for movies. I'm now looking to "downgrade" to 340's.
    How did you like the 340's with regards to music listening? I know the Sierra's are better but was the 340 more of a home theater speaker for you at the time? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lawrence View Post

I replied to your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YOTR View Post
    How did you like the 340's with regards to music listening? I know the Sierra's are better but was the 340 more of a home theater speaker for you at the time? Thanks in advance!
    I never used the 340's for music, other than the music found in a movie soundtrack. I got the Sierras figuring they would be more versatile if I sometimes wanted music. Truth is, I listen to music in the car, and movies at home.

I listened to a lot of mid-range speakers before buying anything. I had never purchased speakers on line so I was a bit hesitant. However, after reading the forum here and on AVS, I decided to bite and I'm glad I did. The 340s are a fantastic speaker as are the Sierra.

I have a friend who has a **** setup and he really has to crank it for dialog to be intelligable.
    Thanks to Dave or Curtis, whoever "bleeped" my post. One thing I like about here is that the discussion is kept on a high plain. I wouldn't want to do anything that would sulley it's reputation or start a distracting debate. I should have known better, especially since the particular manufacturer that I referenced can be a lightning rod of opinion.

Thanks to Dave or Curtis, whoever "bleeped" my post. One thing I like about here is that the discussion is kept on a high plain. I wouldn't want to do anything that would sulley it's reputation or start a distracting debate. I should have known better, especially since the particular manufacturer that I referenced can be a lightning rod of opinion.
    The system actually does the "bleeping" automatically with pre-defined words.

That said, the 340's are excellent with music.

The distinction between the 340's and the Sierras is in, IMO, overall quality....not between music and HT.

The 340's have the advantage in overall output/sensitivity.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-24-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The system actually does the "bleeping" automatically with pre-defined words.
    You mean if I say ****** or ****** or even ***** the system will catch it?