Thread: What's the best option for filling speaker stands?

Default What's the best option for filling speaker stands?

I found some sanus stands that I am going to buy for some Sierra's. I will be using some Blu-Tack to secure the speaker to the stand. Now I am trying to decide on the best option for filling the stands. I will most likely go with either sand or steel shot. Sand is obviously the much cheaper option. Would using sand do a good job at adding extra stability? Or would I be better served spending more for steel shot for even more stability? The main reason I am concerned with stability is because I have nephews that are 1 and 4 years old that visit regularly. Which option would be best? Any advice would be appreciated. Also here is a link to the stands I will be getting.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sanus-Stee...Stand/11961196
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

Default Re: What's the best option for filling speaker stands?

Hmmmm... Maybe it's just me but I doubt these will be child proof... The tubes are so tiny that even filled IMHO they'll tip over easily as there won't be much weight to them.

If you really want child-safe stands, you'll have to get much beefier stands... For example, and I'm not saying this because this is the ascend forum, but the Ascend 340SE stands... I have those filled with sand, and these will not move. You'd have trouble making them tip, over... You could have two children push on the stands, and it would not move.

The ones you've linked, filled or not filled imho they'll easily tip over. How much sand or shot could you put in? Really not that much...

If using lead shot provides you the added piece of mind vs. sand... go ahead. I used play sand(make sure you dry it out before you start filling) to fill each tube/cylinder and added some blu tack on the top plate, your nephews would have a difficult time pushing/knocking them over with those safeguards in case of an accident...in either case.

Btw...I bought my stands(Sanus SF26') from racks and stands the ones Dave recommended for the Sierras were the 30"...the actual stands themsleves are built from heavy duty steel and work great...
    Last edited by billy p; 01-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Hmmmm... Maybe it's just me but I doubt these will be child proof... The tubes are so tiny that even filled IMHO they'll tip over easily as there won't be much weight to them.

If you really want child-safe stands, you'll have to get much beefier stands... For example, and I'm not saying this because this is the ascend forum, but the Ascend 340SE stands... I have those filled with sand, and these will not move. You'd have trouble making them tip, over... You could have two children push on the stands, and it would not move.

The ones you've linked, filled or not filled imho they'll easily tip over. How much sand or shot could you put in? Really not that much...
    I'm not expecting them to be completely childproof. I just want to make sure that the stands will not topple over simply from a slight nudge. The actual tubes are 2 inches thick and each stand has two of them. After doing more research it might be better yet if I fill them with lead shot. I would think doing that would add a significant amount of weight to the stands.

I actually was thinking about the pedestal stands that ascend offers but they are too low for me. My seating is simply too high. I wish they also made a 30 inch version of the pedestal stands.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    If using lead shot provides you the added piece of mind vs. sand... go ahead. I used play sand(make sure you dry it out before you start filling) to fill each tube/cylinder and added some blu tack on the top plate, your nephews would have a difficult time pushing/knocking them over with those safeguards in case of an accident...in either case.

Btw...I bought my stands(Sanus SF26') from racks and stands the ones Dave recommended for the Sierras were the 30"...the actual stands themsleves are built from heavy duty steel and work great...
    Billy

Did simply adding sand make a difference in how stable your stands were? I'd take it you would consider your stands fairly stable. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go with the 30" or the 34" stands.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82 View Post
    Billy

Did simply adding sand make a difference in how stable your stands were? I'd take it you would consider your stands fairly stable. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go with the 30" or the 34" stands.
    I would say "YES" on their own these stands are pretty heavy adding the sand made a difference IMO. I use the rubber feet & not the spikes for added stability, if you include a 20lb speaker and the use of blu tack it really worked well its like the speaker was moulded onto the top plate. I have 2 very active kids aged 10 & 12 after everything was setup I never really had to worry.

Regards, Bill..
    Last edited by billy p; 01-24-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82 View Post
    I'm not expecting them to be completely childproof. I just want to make sure that the stands will not topple over simply from a slight nudge. The actual tubes are 2 inches thick and each stand has two of them. After doing more research it might be better yet if I fill them with lead shot. I would think doing that would add a significant amount of weight to the stands.

I actually was thinking about the pedestal stands that ascend offers but they are too low for me. My seating is simply too high. I wish they also made a 30 inch version of the pedestal stands.
    Well quick calculations, shipping weight was 30lbs, which leaves at max 15lbs per stand. Taking max 34 inch height per tube, at again max 2 inch diameter, you're at around 100 cubic inch, which is about a 4.6 inch cube of sand. 1 cubic foot of sand is 100lbs. So that's around 38lbs of sand, per tube.... sick... Much more than I'd have imagined looking at the stands... (though it's true not 24 inch but 34... which might have skewed my perception)

Realistically, probably closer to 80 cubic inch per tube than 100, but still, that would still be >30lbs per tube, so you'd end up having 70lbs + stands instead of 15, 12, or whatever their actual weight is... A very significant difference.

lead shot should be even better, as lead seems to be >5x as heavy as sand. These stands should very heavy and so quite solid too...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 01-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I have found some some awesome speaker stands here: https://speakerstandslab.com/