Thread: XPA-3 with Sierra 1's NRT

Default XPA-3 with Sierra 1's NRT

Every Xmas I upgrade something. Last year it was to NRT's. This year my budget has led me to try adding an amp to my system. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 that has done a great job but I thought it might benefit from using an amp with the front 3 Sierra's and leave it to power my 340SE L/C/R surrounds. I also have a HSU VTF2-MK3 sub in a 36 x 32 room.

I finally received and installed Emotiva's XPA-3 amp today. I was a little apprehensive that I was not going to see an improvement but it was "clearly" a nice addition. My Sierra's are 14 feet away from the primary listening position and the additional power has increased the clarity of what was a beautiful thing already! We have just been listening to CD music and Pandora but Xmas music sounds great! My wife noticed the difference immediately (she is huge into music and always supportive of improvements). I'm going to enjoy dialing everything in and listening to old stuff all over again!

The thing I realize is that I have outstanding Ascend speakers that bring great joy to my wife and I. The amp makes them stand out just that much more. Christmas music is just that much better during the holidays!

Merry Christmas to everyone at Ascend and the Ascend community. I hope your holidays are blessed and filled with great music!

Michael

Default Re: XPA-3 with Sierra 1's NRT

How much of an improvement are the NRT's over the stock Sierra-1s? Can you describe the difference for me?
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

Default Re: XPA-3 with Sierra 1's NRT

Well its been a year now but, for me, I felt it was significant. The upper frequencies are more pronounced, more air, and the soundstage is larger. I have read where some have said more forward. I'm not a great reviewer but I know what I like. The Sierra's were always great but now they are even better. I think when you get to a certain point with sound the difference per dollar spent may be less, but I was very happy with the results and never looked back.

After being an Ascend owner for a few years I have noticed that whatever Dave designs or improves on, is worth the money for me. If I could have afforded the towers this year I would have skipped the amp but hopefully that opportunity will arrive in the future. Till then I must enjoy reading about how much everyone else loves them! Of course, that's exactly how upgradeitis sets in!

Happy Holidays!
    Michael