Thread: Sierras with Velodyne sub -Crossover

Default Sierras with Velodyne sub -Crossover

Hi,
    I'm new here. Just got a set of Sierras for the LCR and HTM-200 for the rear in a 5.1 system. I've had a Velodyne SPL-1000 (the 10" 750w rms one) for many years that I used to run with HTM-200's for the front. I upgraded!
    Question is: Since the sierra's have decent low end, what frequency do I want the sub to cover? And how shall I work it? I have a panasonic XR-57 digital amp that I'll probably use the LFE output for the sub. And the sub also has an internal crossover. Do I set the speakers as Large in the receiver settings and let them get all the frequencies and have the subwoofer crossover set at like 60 Hz? Or do I set the Sierra's as "Small" in the receiver settings and set the receiver crossover to 80 Hz (that's as low as it goes)?
    Thanks for any help. I did try both ways with a few songs and couldn't quite figure which was better. Maybe I need to play with it some more and listen to more stuff to decide. Since the Sierra's sound so nice, I didn't want the subwoofer to muddy the waters in the 50-80 hz range. But I'm a newbie. What do you guys think? I listen to about 50% music, 50% home theater.
    Jeff

Default Re: Sierras with Velodyne sub -Crossover

The bass on the Sierras is excellent, and it will take a sub with excellent sound quality to match.

Set the internal crossover on the sub to its highest point, and crossover at the receiver at 80hz, speakers set to small. See how you like it.

I would compare it to the Sierra set to large, without a sub.
    -curtis