Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Harmonic distortion for both tweeters is extremely low and so far below what is considered the audible threshold that I honestly did not see a reason to spend much time evaluating.
    Fair enough... I suspected as much.

One more thing comes to mind. I'm not surprised that the RAAL demonstrates excellent horizontal off-axis response... most ribbons do, due to the typically narrow width of the reproducing element in the horizontal plane (20 mm, in this case). It's the vertical dispersion of ribbons which tends to be much more restricted, since the ribbon is typically several wavelengths long (in vertical dimension) at high frequencies. This is likely not terribly significant for the Tower, where the tweeter is at ear level for a seated lstener, but may be a factor for the Tower Center, which might be positioned somewhat lower or higher than the listener. I understand that crossover issues are also important here.

Would you consider publishing a comparison between the vertical off-axis response of the ribbon-equipped Tower Center vs. that of the dome tweeter version?
    Last edited by GaryB; 11-09-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    One more thing comes to mind. I'm not surprised that the RAAL demonstrates excellent horizontal off-axis response... most ribbons do, due to the typically narrow width of the reproducing element in the horizontal plane (20 mm, in this case).
    Actually, every ribbon that we evaluated had measurably poorer horizontal dispersion compared to our dome, even with only 8mm wide ribbons. The problem is that the ribbon itself is typically set back too far in the faceplate and this in combination with the severe edge of the ribbon opening creates multiple off-axis problems.

With a typical dome, the radiating area is set forward of the faceplate and the dome opening itself is usually smooth with no edges around the dome.

Both of the problems I mentioned in the first paragraph are addressed nearly perfectly with the RAAL. The ribbon itself is set back only 11 mm from the extremely thin faceplate and the zig zag edge surrounding the faceplate opening disperses diffraction.

You are, of course, 100% correct regarding vertical dispersion as it is considerably more constrained than a dome tweeter.

Would you consider publishing a comparison between the vertical off-axis response of the ribbon-equipped Tower Center vs. that of the dome tweeter version?[/
    Absolutely, but since I have a full plate right now it must wait until we are closer to releasing the STC.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave. Things are almost never as simple as they seem... excellent explanation.

Thanks, Dave. Things are almost never as simple as they seem...
    LOL -- you said it!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Very interesting read Dave! I am even more confident now that I wont regret ordering the RAAL Ribbon upgrade for my Towers. I believe they ship tonight

One thing that I find most interesting is the flatter response of the RAAL starting just after 1500hz. I initially would have assumed the response of the RAAL would not have show more linearity until later(higher frequencies) in the response curve. I am not sure of the crossover point, but you must have had more flexibility in designing the crossover with the ribbons over the Nrt's.

Early on in our conversations, you considered the NrT "sharper" in terms of dynamics, how would you fit this piece in with the recent measurements and data? Hope I am not being too nosy

Once again, the data you provide on your products is above and beyond.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    One thing that I find most interesting is the flatter response of the RAAL starting just after 1500hz. I initially would have assumed the response of the RAAL would not have show more linearity until later(higher frequencies) in the response curve. I am not sure of the crossover point, but you must have had more flexibility in designing the crossover with the ribbons over the Nrt's.
    This is precisely why we went with the 20mm wide ribbon. It is a considerably more robust ribbon and can be crossed safely at 1800Hz with a shallow slope if needed. The crossover point changes only slightly between the NrT and ribbon versions.

I wouldn't say we had more flexibility with the ribbon over the NrT, but we certainly did not lose any flexibility, which would have been the case if we went with any other ribbon. The NrT can still be safely crossed lower than this ribbon and its linearity is superb. However, I want to point out that I do not believe the minor difference in on-axis linearity is even audible -- it is the transient accuracy and polar response...

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Early on in our conversations, you considered the NrT "sharper" in terms of dynamics, how would you fit this piece in with the recent measurements and data? Hope I am not being too nosy
    Excellent question. I can really only attribute this to the NrT having more stored energy and longer decay times. For example, rap your knuckles on a Sierra-1 cabinet then rap your knuckles on your sheet rock wall...

The Sierra-1 cabinet will sound like a quick thud while striking the sheetrock is going to sound louder and more pronounced. Which transient someone will prefer is purely subjective -- for home theater and some music, I really enjoy a highlighted attack and even hearing longer decays (makes things sound louder, more dynamic, less “polite”) however -- which response is technically more accurate in the reproduction of the original transient? Certainly, when it comes to overall accuracy - the less something adds to the original source the better.

Another example, the most accurate in-room response possible is listening within an anechoic chamber. In this case, you are only hearing the loudspeaker and none of the room. Let me tell you first hand that everything sounds dull and lifeless even though accuracy is off the charts. This is where the subjective aspect comes in...

I believe for loud and dynamic home theater, most rock and hip hop -- the NrT will probably be preferred.

Hope this makes sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

^^^^
    Thanks for the reply Dave. Makes sense.
    One wonders (myself included) how some of the rather exotic tweeters such as the diamond plated ones(B&W) or beryllium based ones(Paradigm) compare to the RAAL? I know you personally have always stated the TAD ref 1 which uses the beryllium drivers has been your reference speaker. I imagine each still has their advantages. Just thinking out loud

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    We are pleased to announce that our next batch of Sierra Tower cabinets are in full production. Pre-order pricing is available from now through when we receive the next batch.

(availability last updated on 11/09)

Black Matte: $1898 immediate availability

High Gloss Black: $1998 available for pre-order
    Satin Espresso: $1998 available for pre-order
    Satin Cherry: $1998 available for pre-order
    Natural: $1898 available for pre-order

*RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade will add $350 for each speaker. This price is expected to increase significantly once our current supply runs out.

Please call or send an email if you would like to place an order or if we can be of any assistance.
    Three quick questions, Dave:

1. Is Satin Black no longer being offered?

2. Are you still pursuing the possibility of a lower priced Piano Black option, similar to the one offered for the Sierra-1?

3. If one orders the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade, is the cutout optimized for the RAAL at the time of cabinet production or are all cabinets made for the NrT tweeter and modified for the RAAL at your facility during final assembly? I realize that your custom RAAL tweeter has the same size flange as the NrT but requires more clearance behind for the transformer.

I found the RAAL and NRT comparison neat. Thanks for the measurements. When I auditioned the Salk Songtower Dome and HT2 with the LCY ribbon, I loved the ribbon tweeter for the cohesiveness. I recently attended a sub GTG and I thought every sub notes had overhang besides the Rythmik. I was criticized for noticing the time domain since it is only a few ms from third party measurements. I stated this is the reason I may prefer ribbon tweeters. If you had time and extra subs laying around, would you be able to run some of these tests to see if there is a difference in the time domain for subs ?

Just want to say thanks again and congratulations on your hard work Dave. The RAAL tweeter with your tower and a Rythmik would make for one transparent system through all the frequencies .
    Last edited by kwarny; 11-10-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Three quick questions, Dave:

2. Are you still pursuing the possibility of a lower priced Piano Black option, similar to the one offered for the Sierra-1?

3. If one orders the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade, is the cutout optimized for the RAAL at the time of cabinet production or are all cabinets made for the NrT tweeter and modified for the RAAL at your facility during final assembly? I realize that your custom RAAL tweeter has the same size flange as the NrT but requires more clearance behind for the transformer.
    Hi Gary,

Our black matte ended up being much more popular than the satin black. Satin black will be considered a custom option. If you are interested in this finish, please let me know now as the next batch of cabinets are already in production.

Yes -- still considering and doing my very best to try and work this out.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com