Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    307

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    that's quite remarkable, thanks for the reply

    edit: searched this, helped visualize the phase and impedence relationships
    http://www.stereophile.com/reference...avy/index.html
    Last edited by scape; 11-08-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: link

  2. #12

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Damn. This makes me hate myself for not going with the ribbons...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by malaplace View Post
    Damn. This makes me hate myself for not going with the ribbons...
    While the ribbon is indeed objectively superior, many listeners still prefer the sound of the NrT. So much depends on your source material and your own preferences -- it is very subjective.

    And remember, we can upgrade your towers to the ribbons anytime
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  4. #14

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    While the ribbon is indeed objectively superior, many listeners still prefer the sound of the NrT. So much depends on your source material and your own preferences -- it is very subjective.

    And remember, we can upgrade your towers to the ribbons anytime
    Let's say for the sake of argument that 3 months in to my new Towers, I long to no longer be out-classed by those with the ribbons -- would I need to pack them up and drive them down to SoCal for the upgrade? Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center? Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008? I need to stay away from this board

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I have completed an extremely comprehensive study comparing our NrT dome to the RAAL ribbon and I hope to publish it later this evening.
    How about it, Dave? Inquiring minds, etc...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Here ya go...

    A thorough objective evaluation between our custom RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and our best dome tweeter (NrT)

    Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by malaplace View Post
    Let's say for the sake of argument that 3 months in to my new Towers, I long to no longer be out-classed by those with the ribbons -- would I need to pack them up and drive them down to SoCal for the upgrade? Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center? Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008? I need to stay away from this board
    mal,

    Installing the ribbon tweeters requires some internal cabinet modifications and thus it is recommended that we handle it. However, if a customer has some experience with power tools, they can do the upgrade themselves. Installing the tweeter requires routing the inside dimensions of the tweeter cutout. It also requires removal and installation of a new crossover (although this part is rather simple.)

    Could I keep my nrt Sierra 1 center?
    Certainly, but I can assure you that you will eventually want to upgrade to the Ribbon STC.

    Should I consider better electronics instead of my Onkyo 3008?
    And this is where things can get dangerous No, you certainly do not need better electronics. However, the ribbon is extremely revealing and about as high resolution as a transducer can get. It will more easily reveal lesser electronics than a dome tweeter.

    Going with the ribbons is a very expensive option and while the differences are audible, that difference is probably not worth the expense for most of our customers.

    In your case, before making the investment - consider spending a few hours at our facility listening to both versions.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Here ya go...

    A thorough objective evaluation between our custom RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and our best dome tweeter (NrT)

    Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...
    Very impressive indeed, Dave. I note that you didn't publish any harmonic distortion measurements for the ribbon or dome. Did such measurements play a role in your evaluation?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Very impressive indeed, Dave. I note that you didn't publish any harmonic distortion measurements for the ribbon or dome. Did such measurements play a role in your evaluation?
    Harmonic distortion for both tweeters is extremely low and so far below what is considered the audible threshold that I honestly did not see a reason to spend much time evaluating.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  10. #20

    Thumbs up Re: Sierra Tower Specifications, Measurements, Pricing

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Here ya go...

    A thorough objective evaluation between our custom RAAL 70-20XR ribbon tweeter and our best dome tweeter (NrT)

    Enjoy and please feel free to discuss and ask questions...
    Thanks for providing this level of detail regarding your new towers. I wish more speaker makers were as forthcoming as you are with this type of information.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •