Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any chance we see some Ascend surround Bipole, Dipole speakers ?

Default Any chance we see some Ascend surround Bipole, Dipole speakers ?

I love-love my Towers doing rear duties for Hi Rez 5.1 music in all it's flavors SACD, DVD-A, Blu ray -A, even Blu Ray concerts, PURE BLISS , but for movies watching they're are not as engaging for me, which I suspect it might just be position height deal.

I can put some sort of wooden stage ( as they deserve )to get a more envelope thing going, but I'm sure that it will hurt my music listening, and that's something I'm not ready to do.

So I was wondering if there’s any chance we'll see something from Ascend that will be more conducive to flick enveloping speakers. I’m one who believes that any speaker can do both, that being said I just don’t any of us in my dilemma sticking tower a few feet above ear level up on ours walls.

I love the sound of my old Dali WS200 which we’re really Dipole, nor Bipole but they cast a lovely bubble over me and my guest with smooth ambiance never pulling me away from the fronts action.

Would love to see Ascend speaker just for this application and keep it all in the family, as I'm sure they'll sell tons

What do you guys think?

Dan

Default Re: Any chance we see some Ascend surround Bipole, Dipole speakers ?

Do you mean surrounds or just plain dipole towers/bookshelves?

I can put some sort of wooden stage ( as they deserve )to get a more envelope thing going, but I'm sure that it will hurt my music listening, and that's something I'm not ready to do.
    What does that mean?

I’m one who believes that any speaker can do both, that being said I just don’t any of us in my dilemma sticking tower a few feet above ear level up on ours walls.
    Quite lost... Are you saying that putting speakers on stands or elevating them in some way turns them into bi or dipole speakers?

Ah ok just reread the thread title, so you really meant surrounds... Oh well... I thought the question was really if Ascend would ever make dipole speakers... lol And I somewhat liked that question and thought it was a very interesting topic! There's quite a few great dipole speakers out there, (Linkwitz, Vivid, etc.) but in my experience what they seem to have in common is a huge soundstage... Anyhow, not derailing this thread any further

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Do you mean surrounds or just plain dipole towers/bookshelves?
    Surround speakers. Not mono-pole types thou.

What does that mean?
    To raised them up, it's something I don't want to do.

Quite lost... Are you saying that putting speakers on stands or elevating them in some way turns them into bi or dipole speakers?
    You got it below , Sorry about the confusion as I'm at work and shouldn't be multi tasking

Ah ok just reread the thread title, so you really meant surrounds... Oh well... I thought the question was really if Ascend would ever make dipole speakers... lol And I somewhat liked that question and thought it was a very interesting topic! There's quite a few great dipole speakers out there, (Linkwitz, Vivid, etc.) but in my experience what they seem to have in common is a huge soundstage... Anyhow, not derailing this thread any further
    Again...Just saying would love me some Ascend surround speakers please.

Dan

I've been in some mixing studios. Most use monopoles for surrounds.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I've been in some mixing studios. Most use monopoles for surrounds.

I'm talking about for for movies.. I'm cover for music with the towers, and wouldn't want any other way !

DJoel

Quote Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
    I'm talking about for for movies.. I'm cover for music with the towers, and wouldn't want any other way !
    Yes...I meant for movies. Most of the mixing rooms I have been in use monopoles.

The ones that used bipole/dipoles were the HUGE mixing stages that had more than one speaker along the sides.

Surround channels are discrete. If an engineer wanted to created a diffused sound, as with di/bipoles, he/she could do so by messing with phase of the output between the surrounds and mains.

If you had di/bipoles, all you would ever get is diffused sound, and nothing direct.
    Last edited by curtis; 10-25-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    -curtis

I regard bipoles/dipoles as a throwback to the days when surround was purely ambient. Movies are now mixed with discrete location cues, which need direct speakers to properly image.

I use 170's for side surrounds and 200's for back surrounds, all properly placed in relation to our listening area. We are awash in sound if that is what the sound engineer intended, yet can pinpoint a sound if that is what was intended.

We recently watched a Breaking Bad episode titled "The Fly". They had the fly circling our heads so realistically I was trying to swat it away!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yes...I meant for movies. Most of the mixing rooms I have been in use monopoles.

The ones that used bipole/dipoles were the HUGE mixing stages that had more than one speaker along the sides.

Surround channels are discrete. If an engineer wanted to created a diffused sound, as with di/bipoles, he/she could do so by messing with phase of the output between the surrounds and mains.

If you had di/bipoles, all you would ever get is diffused sound, and nothing direct.
    Curtis: I have no knowledge and or experience in regard to studios. Is a typical mixing studio techniques focus on home release or for commercial theater release?

I still don't know if I need bipole/dipole/monopole but would like Dave to make a wall mountable speaker with same drivers as Sierra-1/Towers/Horizon or closely timbre matched with Sierra-1/Towers/Horizon in same finishes as mains.

Quote Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post
    Curtis: I have no knowledge and or experience in regard to studios. Is a typical mixing studio techniques focus on home release or for commercial theater release?

I still don't know if I need bipole/dipole/monopole but would like Dave to make a wall mountable speaker with same drivers as Sierra-1/Towers/Horizon or closely timbre matched with Sierra-1/Towers/Horizon in same finishes as mains.
    Let's say a made for TV movie, or a TV show. Those are mixed in smaller studios, using monopole studio monitors, in a 5.1 configuration, aimed for home playback.

Theater movies are mixed in the rooms as I describe my previous post, aimed for commercial release. If they are released to disc, some are remixed in the studios describe above.

For Dave to make a "Sierra" specifically for wall mounting, I am sure he has to know that he can sell enough of them to make it worthwhile...not just to him, but to the consumer as well.
    -curtis

On the topic of surrounds, I have a quick question. Let's imagine the front sound stage for now. When playing audio in stereo through the 2 front speakers, a listener position directly in between the speakers gets a great "phantom centre" effect. This effect disappears very quickly by moving just slightly left or right of centre, leading to a localized sound coming from the speaker on the same side the listener is seated. When using a centre channel in the front sound stage as well, this is reduced significantly.

My question is if this same effect happens with the rear channels? Considering a standard 5.1 set-up doesn't have a rear centre channel, is the sound easily localized to one speaker or the other depending on where you are sitting?