Thread: Does anyone here use the tower at a closer distance?

Default Does anyone here use the tower at a closer distance?

Thought I better start a dedicated thread for this. Before I pull the trigger I just want those tower owners to chime in on regarding a close listening distance (4-6 feet), I was looking at the S2 but have the budget to stretch for the tower, I understand that to achieve the full potential of the tower I should sit farther but it's limited due to the room size. I know the tower sounds better than S2 in general but if S2 wins in closer range and come to life at a lower volume then I will be more than happy to take them instead. Also please keep in mind that I listen at a relatively lower volume.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sunlight99; 04-02-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Default Re: Does anyone here use the tower at a closer distance?

Dave says that the drivers in the towers are coherent at 3 feet and that is the distance at which he measures them.

I can't comment on the S2's because I haven't heard them.

I listen to my towers at a distance of 8 feet and they sound fantastic. They throw a deep and wide soundstage even sitting that close. Also, the towers sound great from a whisper to a scream; you don't have to crank them up for them to sound good.

I vote for the towers because my thinking is that you may not always be limited as to your listening distance and you would not have to regret that you didn't purchase the towers later.

Give Dave a call. He is a real straight shooter and he won't try to talk into anything that wouldn't be appropriate for your situation.
    Last edited by jollo; 04-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Joe

I'll let you know in a week.

I would say either one would do fine as long as you have the tweeter in range to your ears height. The thing though, assuming your are using the same seating couch, the further that is, the less off axis will put your ears to the tweeter. If you move the couch closer, there will be more off axis.
    Also the bookshelves is a more pratical as you can pick the right stand for the height while the tower are less practical in that regard. With close to 90 db sensitivity, the towers dont take much power for them to sign while the lower sensitivity bookshelves need twice the power for equal loudness as the tower. Close proximaty, thats not an issue at all.