Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMT-340 vs.SIERRA-1

Default Re: CMT-340 vs.SIERRA-1

well 93 db would mean to double the power required, which would be putting a rather large load on the amp. you likely wouldn't notice it unless for extended listening, onkyos are really great at handling such circumstances and if the amp was struggling it would work out a solution for instances such as peaks. this is assuming the amp was struggling, which may or may not be the case, but i think 50-60 watts could be a bit of a struggle and this possibly would be when distortion could begin to become noticeable.
    they do rate the onkyo at THD of .08 at half power, not sure what half-power means without showing us total power and ohms/channels/etc but I assume its taking that from 100w (which is what many avr's are marketed as).

i don't think this link pertains to your avr, but is similar and may provide some insight: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...09-av-receiver
    the last paragraph especially

Default Re: CMT-340 vs.SIERRA-1

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82 View Post
    I am 90% sure I will go with the Sierras. Just mulling over if the lower sensitivity of the Sierras will be an issue for me. My receiver is just 100 wpc and I want to make sure it will be able to play at the volume I am accustomed to. Earlier today I listened at the highest volume that I would actually listen to music at. I was at -13 on the avr and I was measuring on average 91 decibels on my spl meter with the highest peaks hitting 93 decibels. I was sitting approximately 6 feet away from the speakers. Does anyone know if I could hit that spl with the Sierras and a 100 wpc receiver.
    Hi Andrew,

At 6 feet back, to reach an average 91dB at your listening position the Sierra-1 (assuming output from a pair of speakers) will require less than 8 watts of power. In other words, yes -- you will easily be able to hit the same SPL as you do now - and with plenty of headroom to spare
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com