Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple questions...

Everything was level matched, and all music was done in direct mode, no DSP's (I really don't like them, and BSOD mentioned that he wanted to hear direct mode). We didn't have an a/b switch. Ya, it sounds like try as we might the best bet is to just hear them together. Maybe I will have more insight when I hear the 340s in a 2-channel config. I'd definitely be shocked if you didn't think the Cse's were warm.

I'll let you guys know what I think after I get the 340's here. We're working out the detail now.

Hello Picus,

Welcome to the board. I was going to respond to your posts in the BSOD thread on AVS about your thoughts that the LRS and the 170's sounded the same, but since you were getting together with BSOD, figured you would find out for yourself. They do not sound the same, and you can now see how trying to compare speakers when not doing direct A/B's is pretty difficult.

In my session with both speakers just comnparing them with music in 2 channel, I came away with the impression that the LRS were somewhat brighter than the 170's, and were also smaller and thinner sounding in comparison. I also noted the same thing with the tweeter that Curtis did, like a hissy sound. I will say that when the LRS were hooked up to the owners B&K separates (prior they both were on a Denon 1804), the hiss was cleaned up.

My session with both was only a couple of hours, and I have never heard the CSe's, and don't have the 340 mains, so I look forward to your thoughts on all of them. Enjoy your vacation.

I found it interesting (when I compared the CBM-170, GR AV-1 and Ref1 at AV123 HQ) that the CBM-170 and Ref1 were 'voiced' similarly. It may only have seemed that way because the AV-1 was 'voiced' noticably different. I definitely noticed that the Ref1 was more detailed/less forgiving and certainly does 'play big' (as Mark likes to say), but for the price the CBM-170 is fantastic (and if DF ever gets nice wood cabinets going...).

I'm interested in checking out the RS250 MkII at the AV123 event in August - could be an interesting in-between speaker.

We will be testing the ACI Maestro, the purpose being to see what it can do in comparison to subs like the SVS B4+ for extension... and does it do music "better" ? It is rated to 19 Hz - 3 dB, and starts at $2050, up to $2400... An interesting quote from Mike D. "It has the same output a four Titans, with at LEAST as good sound quality.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BradJudy

and if DF ever gets nice wood cabinets going...

I'm interested in checking out the RS250 MkII at the AV123 event in August - could be an interesting in-between speaker.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey...I thought you were going to start your own Ascend veneering shop. [] You've got the best looking CBM-170's.

I am also interested in hearing what the new RS250 and RS550 sound like.

-curtis