Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and opinions on my new 170s and SACD

I think Ascend recommends 50 hours of break-in.

Positioning is very room dependent. The diagrams in the manual are guidelines.

Are your ears right up against the speaker when you hear the buzzing? This is usually caused by the receiver. How close do you have to be to hear the buzz? A buzz or a hiss? Do you have access to another receiver to test?

-curtis

Hi Chris,

Are you hearing the buzz out of both speakers? Speakers simply reproduce whatever sounds they are receiving. My guess is that this buzz is coming from your receiver and is due to some type of ground loop. Disconnect your TV and cable/satellite box from the receiver.

Is the buzz still there?

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have played around with the receiver and I have gotten the buzz to go away. I still have to play with speaker placement though.

Just curious, what exactly happens scientifically in the break in process? Does a property of one or more of the materials change?

Chris

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Just curious, what exactly happens scientifically in the break in process?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Not sure you'll find the answer to that since I believe this is actually a matter of debate whether "break-in" even improves the sound. That being said, my Ascends seems to sound fuller to me than when i first bought them. However, that could just be in my head.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Without a sub the system still puts out a lot of bass, just not as deep. Many reviews led me to believe there was little mid bass<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have to really disagree with this. My non-professional, impression of the 170s is this; absolutely stunningly beautiful vocals, even moreso on my 340 center. Ive had 3 people that dont know anything about speakers/ascends, and they all said the same thing (wow, those vocals!).

However, if i disable the sub, there's a distinct lack of low range, and music simply has little to no depth/richness with Ascends alone. These speakers are made to work with a sub (whether that was the original intention or not).

I will go with Chris on this one. There is definitely a difference with and without a sub, but the 170 has a enough for a lot of music on its own. A sub definite adds to the experience, but the speakers do sound pretty good on their own.

just my 2 cents.

-curtis

On the same note, I would like to invest in a decent sub, but really don't have the money to right now. I figured better speakers now, wait on the sub, but it hurts. So as it stands, I could wait and get a HSU VF-1 or 2 (Small Room), or I could shell out 100-150 right now. Any recommendations for that price range? Velodyne VX-10? Used subs?

i would wait until you can pickup an stf-1 or stf-2. you'll be glad you waited.

cbm-170s

How small is the room? Depending on the room size....the $299 STF-1 would be very nice. I agree....wait and get a nicer sub and don't get a cheaper one now.

-curtis

You have to be pretty liberal in sound judgement to be satisfied with a 69hz dropoff to your sound. Non-full range speakers need subs, unless they're for your sister or parents who dont know any better. Heck, i'd take a boss accoustimaster with a bass module, before i'd live with ascends sans a sub.