Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 insides!!!!

Smile 340 insides!!!!

Hello,
    Can anyone provide some pics of the inside of a 340SE speaker? The sides, top and bottom baffles are 5/8" MDF correct? How thick is the front baffle? Are the drivers stamped or cast baskets? Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first speaker purchase in a long time, I have researched many brands and decided on Ascends 340SE's and 170's for surrounds. I am very sincere with this request and would greatly appreciate all responses.
    Jeff

Default Re: 340 insides!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Hello,
    Can anyone provide some pics of the inside of a 340SE speaker? The sides, top and bottom baffles are 5/8" MDF correct? How thick is the front baffle? Are the drivers stamped or cast baskets? Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first speaker purchase in a long time, I have researched many brands and decided on Ascends 340SE's and 170's for surrounds. I am very sincere with this request and would greatly appreciate all responses.
    Jeff
    Happy to assist you!

I will try and post some pics for you later.

The front baffle of the 340SE is 3/4" thick.

The woofer basket frames are a glass fiber reinforced polymer. This type of basket frame is more rigid than a stamped frame but less rigid than a cast frame.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to assist you!

I will try and post some pics for you later.

The front baffle of the 340SE is 3/4" thick.

The woofer basket frames are a glass fiber reinforced polymer. This type of basket frame is more rigid than a stamped frame but less rigid than a cast frame.

Hope this helps!
    Dave, thank you very much, it certainly does help and will be looking forward to the pics, I know your busy and I can wait for the pics, thanks again.

Are there any 340SE reviews where the reviewer does actually open up the speakers for a quick peek inside, I know Audioholics does it. Thanks to all, Dave I'm really not trying to put pressure on you my friend, I'm just dying to see inside.
    Thanks Jeff

Are there any 340SE reviews where the reviewer does actually open up the speakers for a quick peek inside, I know Audioholics does it. Thanks to all, Dave I'm really not trying to put pressure on you my friend, I'm just dying to see inside.
    Thanks Jeff
    None that I know of for the 340.

What is driving this need?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    None that I know of for the 340.

What is driving this need?
    Curtis, I really don't know, but I just read an interesting article on speaker cabinets and bracing, also damping material used, and how important an enclosure and bracing is, many believe the cabinet could be the most expensive part in designing a speaker, and of course the drivers used in this enclosure, cabinet design and manufacturing are often where many but not all speaker companies make their compromises. Just curious, I intend to have an all 340 setup.
    Thanks, Jeff

Curtis, I really don't know, but I just read an interesting article on speaker cabinets and bracing, also damping material used, and how important an enclosure and bracing is, many believe the cabinet could be the most expensive part in designing a speaker, and of course the drivers used in this enclosure, cabinet design and manufacturing are often where many but not all speaker companies make their compromises. Just curious, I intend to have an all 340 setup.
    Got it.

Right, it is all a formula. Spend money where it will make the most impact.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Got it.

Right, it is all a formula. Spend money where it will make the most impact.
    I just opened my 340SE up (I held off for 5 years!) and I'm very impressed by the bracing. Two big main braces with holes in them top and bottom, and corner bracing. Very well built cabinet.

I've attached 3 pictures. You can see one of the braces of the 340SE (the bottom one, near the crossover).

I'm personally most impressed by the size of motors on the woofers *and* tweeters. Massive for a speaker this size. As you can tell from the picture, the crossover is very nice-looking also.

Love these speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Re: 340 insides!!!!

Brew, thank you so much for the helpful post and excellent pics, I am very impressed that this kind of detail with the cabinet has been addressed, I see no compromises here. It is truly amazng Dave can offer this quality at the asking price. Thanks again.
    PS.. what is that toggle switch in the xover network, I'm assuming the speaker you opened was the center channel and that switch engages the EXBAC circuitry, is it that easy to engage or disengage the EXBAC, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again, those photos and the motor sizes surely made my mind up to purchase, good job my friend.
    Jeff

Brew, thank you so much for the helpful post and excellent pics, I am very impressed that this kind of detail with the cabinet has been addressed, I see no compromises here. It is truly amazng Dave can offer this quality at the asking price. Thanks again.
    PS.. what is that toggle switch in the xover network, I'm assuming the speaker you opened was the center channel and that switch engages the EXBAC circuitry, is it that easy to engage or disengage the EXBAC, correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again, those photos and the motor sizes surely made my mind up to purchase, good job my friend.
    Jeff
    No problem, Jeff. I've seen the insides of a few speakers, and these definitely are quality.

There are a few posts in these forums referencing the fact that the 340SE center and mains are the same speaker, and that the EXBAC feature can be turned on and off. My 340SE mains have the same toggle. I assume it saves Dave from having to make two separate x-overs. Anyway, I don't know for sure, but I assume that toggle when pointed down, means the EXBAC feature is turned off.

Hope you enjoy your new Ascends!