Thread: How to set up multiple f12 subs

Default How to set up multiple f12 subs

I have a system that consists of a squeezebox => a power amp => a pair of speakers. The power amp has one set of inputs and one set of outputs, and there is no facility for subwoofer out.

I want to run 4 f12 subs. Is the best way to do this by attaching all for to the speaker terminals of the amp? Or perhaps daisychaining them on the high level inputs?

Since there is no low frequency out, I'm not sure the best way to do this. Alternatively, is there some reasonably priced device I can buy that would simply allow multiple low level connections with the same signal? I'd like to run the speakers full-range, with the 4 subs filling in underneath in a Welti-Geddes style arrangement.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: How to set up multiple f12 subs

there are splitters, but then you're messing with the impedance, sometimes certain amps need a baseline of impedance.
    what's the input type on the power amp (i'm guessing rca)?
    as well what is the output type to the speakers (I'm guessing it's banana)?

never plug more than one speaker into a terminal dedicated for one speaker termination.

Thanks for the help.

The amp has rca inputs. It has standard 5-way binding posts for output.

I have had a rel sub plugged in to the speaker outputs along with the regular speakers before.

I was under the impression that subwoofer amps were designed that this was safe (ie, so that the impedance seen by the amp wouldn't drop through the floor). Was this assumption incorrect?

REL looks like it has the ability to do this (pull just the signal out of the powered line, but this is using a speakon connector) some other subs use high-level inputs (f12's do).

do you mostly listen to music?

anyways, looking at the f12: it has line-in and line-outs, which you could probably daisy chain the subs with. you could use a a combination of rca splitters to split off the signal into stereo pairs before it goes to the amp and sub, then daisy chain from there. or you could use a 3.5mm stereo splitter; either way you may need a signal amplifier if the amp is maxing out too early (they go for 60$ or so.)

if need be there may even be an option to have high-level input in to the sub from the amp, and then line-out from the sub to another sub, and repeat line-in line-out for a daisy chain (but I'm not sure of that combination of the initial high-level in and line-out though)... Hopefully Brian from Rythmik can help out (send him an email about this,) Dave may also know the different ways on how Rythmik subs can be chained together.