Thread: Digital music [post name edit]

Congrats Steve! The CBM's are a fantastic speaker! I'm jealous because I wish I had CBM's when I was in college. You need a pat on the back for choosing Ascend. You'll be amazed when you hook these babies up.

Randy

Geez....all these college kids with nice audio.

Congrats!

-curtis

Just out of curiousity has anyone tried playing digital music encoded at a bit rate such as 256 through a real stereo system with a set up such as what ive mentioned or any other solution. Im jsut curious if at a high bit rate such as that one would get cd quality audio or if there would be a noticible difference in sound. Theoretically from what i have heard it shouldnt mater, because the frequencies that are compromised in the compression at that high a bit rate are inaudable, but i was wondering if anyone had done an A/B comparison to test this out. Im cant wait to see for myself, but i dont have the experience in testing audio equipment that many of you have.

Steve

I play back MP3's ripped at 256 bitrate via a Linksys Wireless Media Adapter and through my Pioneer 563a universal player. Both sound good...but playing identical MP3's, the Pioneer sounds better. I think at that high of a bitrate, the sound quality becomes more of a function of the player itself.

-curtis

i used to own an onkyo tx-nr801. i used its nettune capabilities just to see what certain mp3s sounded like. i prefered listening to these moreso on the 170s than on the paradigm studio 20s. the 20s added too much color to already compressed file formats (at least the ones recorded around 128kbps).

my favorite compressed song was recorded at 320kbps (pretty sure - not at home right now). it was 'never going back again' by fleetwood mac. lindsey buckingham plays a mean guitar. it sounded really good on the 170s. no worries, mate.

Thanks, yeah im really curious to see what the quality of the xbox is. If it is as good as i am hoping the benefits are incredible. Like your linksys i would then have access to my entire collection, only it would be localized on the xbox so my computer would need not be on or connected to the network and i wouldnt have to strain my laptops HD. I tried to find the signal to noise ratio of the Xbox's sound card, but microsoft doesnt seem to want to tell anyone. Also, Im not sure how you connect your Pioneer, but given that the linksys doesnt have a digital out, do you think that could be the cause of the difference in quality, or do you think its more than that? and how do you think the pioneer playing a 256 mp3 compares to playing a wav off a traditional cd?

Steve

On the Pioneer, the MP3's sound very good, almost as good as the traditional CD...but not quite.

-curtis