Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: klipsch

A friend has some older Klipsch tower speakers. They have two 10" woofers and a "Tractrix" horn loaded tweeter which Klipsch are famous for. They play very big, and kind of in your face. For movies they would most likely give an impressive performance, though my friend only has a stereo setup. They definitely have a signature sound very different from most speakers. You either like'em or you don't. Since I saw them being sold at mass-consumer chains I stayed away from them, not that that makes them bad, just personal choice. My friend played them at his annual divorce parties(LOL!) and they would certainly give night club level SPL's. The main thing with this hobby is, if it sounds good to you then go for it.

Ed

Ed:

That's what I'm struggling with right now....whether the "big" Klipsch sound is something I can live with day in-day out. While impressive upon first listening, I don't know what I'll think if I "spring for a set" and live with them. On the other hand, I did like that "big" sound.

My biggest surprise was the soundstage that they through out and the level of detail they were capable of. I thought that my Ascend system was the "king" in that regard. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm wondering if some of that "bigness" can be duplicated with having 340s L/C/R in my system instead of the 170s L/R and 340 C?

I had heard Klipsch's in BB and wasn't that impressed. The Reference series that my friend has seems to be a totally different animal, however.

I was thinking of adding an outboard AMP to my system and keeping the Elite 59 TXi as a pre/pro. With the effiency of the Klipsch, I don't know it would be necessary.

MOre thoughts are welcome....particularly from those who have experience with both brands and experiences from those who went from 170s in the front to all 340s for the front.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

As Curtis and some others have mentioned, the closest "sound" to compare the 340's to at a B&M store would be Paradigm Studio series.

Ed

I think that big and dynamic sound is what Klipsch aims for. I used to own Klipcsh KG4's when I got out of college....big and dynamic.....I think that horn tweeter adds to the dynamics.

The 340's do play bigger and more dynamic than the 170's. If you like the Klipsch "bigness", I don't know if the 340's will do it for you, I think they are a more balanced presentation.

-curtis

curtis....don't know if I'll make the switch. I've been "mulling over" the decision all weekend. This would dramtically change the sound and set-up of my HT. It would also be a major undertaking to change the layout I currently have. That's a positive for the Ascends, where I'd only have to unplug the 170s and plug the 340s in their place....no rearranging, no drilling into the walls, no shifting my HT around. So I don't want to be too hasty.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HSU VTF-3

I considered Klipsch References early "in the hunt." I also had a short listen the the Synergy's at Best Buy. As far as the models go I had to get to the RB-35 before I felt stuff was coming together. Also liked the RF-7 but way out of my budget. As you say they do play big and dynamic. I backed off because I felt the horn tweeters were going to be too shrill for the long haul listening session. I noticed cymbal crashes made me grimace...very clear presentation but just TOO much. That said I wonder if they would be just fine in a large and very sound-dampened room.

Randy

Well....speaker crisis over. I talked myself out of it. The thought of totally rearranging my HT, and not being real certain what the results would be (or sound like), I just ordered two CBM 340s for L/R to go with my 340c. I'll move the current 170s to surround duty and keep one HTM 200 as a rear surround. The other (soon to be previous) HTM 200 surrounds will take up duty hooked to my stereo in my office. I was a bit worried about putting the 340s into my bookshelf horizontally, but in speaking to James and an e-mail from David, I decided I could get the best of both worlds by going to the "big sound" of the 340s without giving up the great soundstage (as well as accuracy) by sticking to what I know and love....Ascend.

It was going to take some "major surgery" to "fit" the Klipsch into my set-up. I've done and re-done my HT so many times to know that once you start doing a major overhaul, the results can just as easily be a major disappointment as easily as it can be successful.

Hmmmmmm????? Now I wonder what Dr. Hsu has cooking over the next couple of months???????? BWAHHAAAHHAAHHHAAHHH!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for your replies. You guys really helped.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HSU VTF-3

Whewwww!! Ascend Anonymous has once again helped a fellow enthusiast from falling off the audio wagon. Glad we could be of assistance. Just remember when the urge strikes again to get on the hotline RIGHT away!! We're there for ya man.

Randy

Just thought of something...do you guys set the 340s to "large" or "small" when you're doing set-up?

As an aside, my friend who has the Klipsch set-up and I decided to do a very unscientific comparison between the Klipsch RF 25 mains, RC 25 center (fronts only) and the Ascend 340 L/R/C (fronts only) when my order comes in. We'll be doing it in his HT since set-up and swapping will be much easier. Gotta get mine delivered first, though. Once we schedule this "unofficial" shootout, I'll post the results here.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HSU VTF-3

I set mine up to small, and cross at 80hz. I was crossing at 60hz, but in my room/setup 80hz sounds better.

Should be fun shootout. Will you bring your VTF-3 as well?

Question....how do you have the center channel sitting on top of your Sony? Is it stable?

-curtis