Ed:

That's what I'm struggling with right now....whether the "big" Klipsch sound is something I can live with day in-day out. While impressive upon first listening, I don't know what I'll think if I "spring for a set" and live with them. On the other hand, I did like that "big" sound.

My biggest surprise was the soundstage that they through out and the level of detail they were capable of. I thought that my Ascend system was the "king" in that regard. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm wondering if some of that "bigness" can be duplicated with having 340s L/C/R in my system instead of the 170s L/R and 340 C?

I had heard Klipsch's in BB and wasn't that impressed. The Reference series that my friend has seems to be a totally different animal, however.

I was thinking of adding an outboard AMP to my system and keeping the Elite 59 TXi as a pre/pro. With the effiency of the Klipsch, I don't know it would be necessary.

MOre thoughts are welcome....particularly from those who have experience with both brands and experiences from those who went from 170s in the front to all 340s for the front.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
CBM 170 Front L/R
CBM 340c Center
HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
HSU VTF-3
Monster THX certified interconnects
DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)