Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: klipsch

bombadil....the 340s throw an even bigger soundstage than the already big soundstage the 170s are capable of. That, and reaching into the lower bass-midbass region is probably the two biggest differences I've noticed.

Personally, I don't thing the 340 upgrade is stupid. 2-channel redbook CDs bennefit as well as cohesiveness. As mentioned before, the 170s integrate well with the HSU sub. The 340s are as close to seamless in transitioning to the sub as any other speaker set-up I've heard. It's like the 340s reach down to 20Hz. We know they can't so that seamless integration is quite impressive.

I'm breaking mine in now. So, I expect them to get better sounding.

Was watching Gladiator (for the upteenth time) last night. Even though the 340s are only a little more efficient on paper than the 170s, it made a significant difference to the "big" sound I was looking for.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 340 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Even though the 340s are only a little more efficient on paper than the 170s, it made a significant difference to the "big" sound I was looking for.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The efficiency is not really an indicator of "big" sound, just how loud a speaker is at a given power input. I think one of the big differences between the 340 and 170 is the dispersion....much wider it seems on the 340, which I think helps create the bugger soundstage.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

[quote]The efficiency is not really an indicator of "big" sound, just how loud a speaker is at a given power input. I think one of the big differences between the 340 and 170 is the dispersion....much wider it seems on the 340, which I think helps create the bugger soundstage.

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    It makes it bigger too!!

Ed

hmmmm...forum doesn't have a spell checker....maybe smokey can work on that.

Then again, if bugger is a real word, that would not have helped me.

-curtis

For three front 340's I could be the permanent spell checker for this site.....Whuddaya say? I kood bee teh bset sepll chceker evre!

Ed

This thread has gotten bugger than I could ever have imagined! It just grows bugger and bugger by the minute. I have a feeling that it will get bugger yet! Who knows maybe it will end up being the buggest thread of them all!

Randy

PS We love ya Curtis...that's why we gotta pick on you whenever we get the chance!

Hey, Curtis. Bugger is a real word if you're British. Can't tell you what it means on these forums or you moderators would have to "bleep" me.