Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would I really need a sub...

Sensibull,

The 340's are fantastic speakers as are the 170's. Here is a thread that I think sums up my (and others) feelings between the two.

http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=366

I think the folks here on Ascend Forum (and the Ascend Acoustics Co. themselves) want to give the best advice so everyone realizes the most bang for the buck. I know when I was auditioning and asking questions on some of the other forums I kept getting pushed into "bigger/better/more expensive". I got to the point where I was about to give up altogether because I was convinced that I had to spend an enormous amount of money to get desirable results. I have found that this is not the case with Ascend. I've got 340's for the front and 170's for the surrounds and I highly repect them both. You won't go wrong with either choice.

Randy

Just reading back on this thread and noticed your question about the unmatched surrounds. I think you've hit the nail on the head... very important for multi-channel music and less so with movies. Alot of movies really don't have that much information going to the surrounds anyhow...an occaisional bullet whizzing by and such. Go ahead and try using your current stuff for surrounds... you can always upgrade them to the 200's or 170's as funds/priorities allow.

Randy