Thread: Need Headphones

Default Need Headphones

Hello All,

Looking for a recommendation for over the ear headphones for home use? Budget of about $100 or a little over if i can get away with it. Thanks!

Default Re: Need Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by jbistany View Post
    Hello All,

Looking for a recommendation for over the ear headphones for home use? Budget of about $100 or a little over if i can get away with it. Thanks!
    Open Headphones:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (Damn comfortable but loose fit on head, good sound quality (very clear), massive soundstage (wide), ugly color scheme. Good build quality with an excellent constructed cable.

Alessandro MS-1 (On ear, above average comfort with an excellent fit and little clamping, somewhat bright and forward sound signature that comes more apparent as you turn up volume, very basic in terms of build quality and the Y portion of the cable is annoying.

Closed:

Shure SRH-440 (Very nice balanced/neutral sound with a little bit of bite on the top end (studio headphone), very good build quality, comfort is a bit below average because of the tight clamping force they apply to the head (also can get hot). Detachable cable (stock cable is coiled so it is only really good for short distances).

Sony 7506/V6 (Standard studio headphone that has been used for decades, nicely balanced sound with an overall bright sound signature, comfort is below average because of the clamping, pads deteriorate over time. Overall build quality is very good.
    Last edited by Dr. House; 07-22-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks Doc, appreciate the detailed response!! I'm tracking the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.

Thanks Doc, appreciate the detailed response!! I'm tracking the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.
    Good stuff. Just be aware they are gold and purple . If it wasn't for the purple/pinkish colour of the earcups they would be no contest, hands down my favorite budget headphone. The look of these headphones isn't for everyone and neither for people that like over emphasized bass or have really small heads (they will fit really loose). Other than that they are excellent cans.

yea, saw that, but will only be used in my mancave, it will give my girls something to bust my chops over! Thanks again, take care.

yea, saw that, but will only be used in my mancave, it will give my girls something to bust my chops over! Thanks again, take care.
    I dunno, you might end up having to compete for their use if they ever put them on.

I have a pair of Denon AH-D1001 that I like alot. Very comfortable to wear, decent bass, and laid back.

Thanks for the rec! Ordered the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, should be here in a few days, curious to see how they do. If I could only get my system to sound like good headphones, I'd be in business, but I'm getting closer with now that I have all ascend gear.