Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harsh sound from Sierra 1 after looping through Rhythmik sub high pass?

Default Re: Harsh sound from Sierra 1 after looping through Rhythmik sub high pass?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I would be most curious to see a schematic for this device. The problem with passive devices such as these is that the actual -3dB point for the HP filter will vary depending upon the input impedance of your amplifier. It won't be a dramatic difference but also don't assume that the 70Hz filter is really 70Hz.

I would try experimenting with the different filter settings. However, I still feel your best option is to use our Q-Plugs
    I may still try the plugs out of curiousity. Do I need 2 kits, 1 for each speaker? I had them in my cart and it looked like each kit had one of each type of plug? Also, I called hlabs to see if they could send me detailed specs on the high pass filter. Now that you mention that the crossover point can vary depending on impedance, I did notice on the package that it said 60-70hz for the setting I have it on. I was wondering what that meant.

EDIT: I talked to the guy that makes the hp filter and he assured me the impedance of my receivers input would make no difference. The filters resistance is 22k and the receiver is 47k according to the manual. He did say that some tube amps can be all over the place but the average home audio equipment is very compatible and there's nothing to worry about if you're not using professional grade equipment or weirdly spec'd tube equipment. I can honestly say from my own experience in the last hour and a half of using the thing at 70hz that it sounds significantly better than 80hz in most ways. 80hz crossover had less boom in the corner but the sierras had a lot more to give between 70 and 80hz and now sound more fleshed out and natural. Unless I misunderstand the frequency response graphs for the sierras on this site, the natural crossover point is 70hz or so since this is the -3db point correct?
    Last edited by Brannigan; 07-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: Harsh sound from Sierra 1 after looping through Rhythmik sub high pass?

If your room and speaker positioning causes a lot of bass reinforcement, I think I would try the Q plugs first.

As for the Sierra's -3dB point...not sure what graph you are looking at, but the -3dB is in the mid 40's(hz)...I believe 44hz is the spec.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If your room and speaker positioning causes a lot of bass reinforcement, I think I would try the Q plugs first.

As for the Sierra's -3dB point...not sure what graph you are looking at, but the -3dB is in the mid 40's(hz)...I believe 44hz is the spec.
    Oops silly me. I didn't realize the spacing was uneven on the chart. I just looked at the -3db point and it looked like it was just over 2/3rds of the way from 0 to 100hz on the chart in the measurements section. Be that as it may, 70hz sounds phenomenal after tweaking the sub settings, scooting it over as far as I could from the right speaker, and listening to lots of different types of music for a few hours. This is the best sound I've ever heard anywhere. Period. Will probably still try 50hz and also the q plugs to make sure I get the best possible setup. Anyways, the moral of the story is that 80hz is just plain wrong with these speakers. It sounded kind of hollow in the middle and too sharp up high with too much bottom end in proportion to the rest. Weird. Anyways I'm pretty ecstatic right now. Pic related. It's me listening to my speakers and sub 10 minutes ago.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Last edited by Brannigan; 07-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.

It's all room and setup dependent.

In my room, for music, I like a 60hz crossover with Q plug "B".
    -curtis

It's all room and setup dependent.

In my room, for music, I like a 60hz crossover with Q plug "B".
    Do I need 2 q plug kits to get 2 of the same type of plug? It looks like each kits has one of each type.

I am almost positive one kit covers two speakers.

Call and ask them tomorrow.
    -curtis

I believe, going off the ordering screen, that $19 will give you one of each "A" & "B", and specifying two Sierra-1's adds $12.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    Do I need 2 q plug kits to get 2 of the same type of plug? It looks like each kits has one of each type.

One "kit" provides the two different style Q-Plugs for one speaker. Two kits cover a pair of speakers etc.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com