Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sierra-1 NrT in home demo

Default Re: Sierra-1 NrT in home demo

Well the Sierra-1 NrTs aren't going to get to stay but I can tell you it has way more to do with my room than with the NrTs. I said all along that whatever I decide to purchase must sound a lot better than what I have and the condition that would affect it most was my room. These little speakers really pull the detail out of the music, give the instruments a powerful and substantial presence and sound wonderful in a good listening environment. I told Dina in an email today that honestly I may never find a speaker that sounds good in the listening area I have. Below is part of the email I sent her earlier today.

"Dina, regrettably I need to get an RMA from you for the Sierra-1 NrTs and the TP-24 stands. Attached is the latest Sales Order PDF.

I can tell you that these are wonderful speakers visually as well as audibly and I can unequivocally say that there is nothing wrong with the way they sound but it is the way they sound in my listening space. In my space they come across as too forward. If I put them in their little white bags and into their shipping box and take them across town to a friend’s house that has a theater room (treatments and carpeting on the floor) and can sit back around 14’ or so they sound incredible and if they sounded that way in my room it would have been a final sale on the first day.

I appreciate the in home demo and again I can’t state how great they sound in an adequate room, I just don’t have the room to let them shine. Honestly I’m not sure any speakers will sound great with what I have to work with and since my wife decorated every inch of our house, me putting up wall treatments, rugs on the floor, etc. is out of the question "

I can truthfully say that if I ever move or add a music room the Sierra-1 NrTs would be welcome back.

I'm honestly surprised in your decision to return the Sierra's but I do understand.... I've finally set them up in another room for a 2ch set up...it's smaller in scale and therefore more intimate compared to my H/T room. Fwiw...neither of my rooms are acoustically treated...outside of your usual area rugs and window coverings I don't believe in extra threatments but they sound much better in their new environment that's for sure.....

Have you made a decision on the Swans yet?

Regards, Bill...
    Last edited by billy p; 08-10-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I'm honestly surprised in your decision to return the Sierra's but I do understand.... I've finally set them up in another room for a 2ch set up...it's smaller in scale and therefore more intimate compared to my H/T room. Fwiw...neither of my rooms are acoustically treated...outside of your usual area rugs and window coverings I don't believe in extra threatments but they sound much better in their new environment that's for sure.....

Have you made a decision on the Swans yet?

Regards, Bill...
    No. Since the Swans were ordered before the Sierras but arrived 2 weeks later than the Sierras I decided to completely evaluate the Sierras in my living room and if they fit the bill I was going to give them first chance. As I said, I listened to the Ascends at a friends house in his theater room and they sounded great but they sounded different in my room. I don't have a choice of setting them up in a different room or I would. There is only 1 place in my house for them and they also have to be part of my HT. And also as I said if I move or add a music room the Ascends will be at the top of my list for my 2 channel music, I thought they sounded that good in a decent room.

From reading this, it seems like the standard Sierra-1 would be a better fit.
    -curtis