Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Totem Dreamcatcher or Mite Vs. 170 or 340

I understand the Ref1's are a fine speaker but it is quite a step up to from RS250 at $699 to the Ref1 at $1500/pr!

Randy

i'd recommend that he try the ascends and i'd also recommend monitor audio.

cbm-170s

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Lou-the-dog

I understand the Ref1's are a fine speaker but it is quite a step up to from RS250 at $699 to the Ref1 at $1500/pr!

Randy

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ok, let's give this one more try ..

In response to my previous post's quoting of Lou-the-Dog:

Well, bare in mind that his recommendations were based on the budget figures I presented. His budget was entirely different and so the Refs were at the price level that he was comfortable with. (assuming I understand what your point was, which I very well might not have )

Brad's earlier critique (about the Ref1's being too revealing for his source material) is still a valid one, however.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by metalaaron

i'd recommend that he try the ascends and i'd also recommend monitor audio.

cbm-170s
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Monitor Audio? based on what? (just curious)

You guys would be surprised how well the CMT-340 compares to the Ref1 at a third of the cost. In fact, I think the mids on the 340's are better.

Greg, from the email you posted, I think the point Lou and I were trying to make is the guy has not heard the RS250 or Ref1, and that they are VERY different speakers.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Monitor Audio? based on what? (just curious)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i've seen people go from paradigm to monitor audio based on his preferences. i think he should at least try the 340s and see what happens.

cbm-170s

Hi everyone - I'm the person who originally posted that rather lengthy review that Gregisme posted here (The one comparing Totem/Mission/Paradigm, etc.).

To clear up a few of the questions regarding speaker preference:
    1) Whether I have heard either the Onix Rocket or Reference product lines.
    - No, I haven't heard either product, and just included them in my recommendation as kind of a footnote in my recommendation based on reviews I had read. I was also unaware that the Rocket and Ref1 were voiced differently. As one member here pointed out, I was assuming that both product lines shared the same overall sound. Glad to have found this out - thanks!

2) Have I considered any of the Ascend Acoustics products?
    - Absolutely! I have included Ascend + Paradigm + Totem on my current short-list of speakers to upgrade to. I have listened to the Paradigm Studio and Totem Forest lineups and know I would be happy with either one. Out of these two the edge in sound quality would have to go to the Totem's, but the edge in price would definitely be the Paradigm's. The wildcard for me is Ascend as I haven't heard them yet. My main concern with Ascend was the speaker finish available, which I emailed them about. This is no longer a concern as they sent me pictures of the alternate finishes available and they would definitely fit in with the room decor. If the ascends are anywhere between the Paradigm and Totem sound, they would be a no-brainer considering how much less they cost. I'm getting very close to just ordering a set of Ascend bookshelfs just so that I know whether they are the sound for me (I would hate to just buy Paradigm or Totem and always wonder what Ascend would have soudned like).

3) Have I considered Monitor Audio?
    - Yes they are on my short-list of speakers to consider, but as with the Onix Rocket's and Ascend Acoustic speakers, I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.

To give a bit more background, my final setup will consist of:
    - Marantz SR6400 (OR) Denon 2805 Receiver acting as pre-processor
    - 3 QSC Audio RMS850 Pro-Audio Amplifiers (200watts x 2 channels @ 8 ohms)
    - Denon (OR) Pioneer DVD-Audio Player
    - Bluejeans Cable Interconnects/Speaker Wire
    - 5.1 speaker arrangement w/ floorstanding fronts, standard center channel, and bookshelf (OR) dipole rears

(I know that the pro-audio amps seem out of place, but based on the power ratings and a brief comparison of a 2-channel Classe amp and a 2-Channel Crown Pro-Audio amp driving my friend's Tannoy speakers, the difference in sound quality was nowhere near great enough to justify the 4x greater cost factor of the audiophile amp.)

My room dimensions are 25d x 15w x 8h, and I will be facing the long (25ft) wall.

Speakers that were on my initial list:
    (Budget $2,500 for 5 speakers + subwoofer)
    Onix Rocket
    Axiom Audio
    Hometheaterdirect
    Ascend Acoustics
    Monitor Audio
    Von Schweikert
    Vandersteen
    Revel
    Dynaudio
    Definitive Technology
    Magnepan (Electrostat)
    Martin Logan (Electrostat)
    Final Sound (Electrostat)
    Innersound (Electrostat)
    Klipsch
    Totem
    Mission
    JBL
    Infinity
    Energy
    Mirage
    Paradigm
    HSU Research (Sub)
    SVS Subwoofer (Sub)

Speakers that still remain:
    (Note - the brands not listed here were eliminated either due to budget constraints or sound quality)
    Paradigm
    Totem
    Monitor Audio
    Revel
    Ascend Acoustics
    Onix Rocket
    HSU Research (Sub)
    SVS Subwoofer (Sub)

Thanks again for all the info I was able to gather browsing the Ascend forums, and from the Ascend staff themselves!

Holy smokes! You have done A LOT of research! That is great! And welcome to the forum, you are our 250th member.

-curtis

Sorry - forgot to include the HSU/SVS subs in my short list. I edited the post to put them back in.