Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Totem Dreamcatcher or Mite Vs. 170 or 340

Welcome! Thanks for joining us for a chat! From the looks of your initial audition list you've been a busy boy!

Randy

Hello Capt. (welcome!),

Did I understand you correctly, from the AVS Forum, that one of your criteria for speakers is how well they deal with less than ideal recordings? Or did I misunderstand?

ps: Curtis, any special gifts for the existing member who brings in the noteworthy 250th new forum member??!! []

Awhile back I think I remember Curtis saying that he would personally extend a complete 6.1 Ascend system to the 250th forum member AND one to the current member that brought him in. Then again maybe he said 2500th member...I dunno...could be I was just imagining things too.

Randy

Yeah...I think you were imagining it. []

-curtis

No, Randy, I'm sure you remembered correctly.

It's such a shame that Curtis isn't a man of his word.. another hero has fallen.

[V]*deep sigh*

Gregisme - I wasn't the one looking for a speaker that handled poorly recorded material. I remember the thread you are mentioning though, it was someone who had auditioned almost double the speakers I've listened too (at double the budget) and still couldn't find one that made him happy. He was apparently very sensitive to high frequencies (as in they hurt his ears if they were remotely harsh), but didn't want a speaker that sacrificed clear highs as he found those too "muddy". As an example - so far the only pair he found that he thought he could live with were the Martin Logan Grotto's I believe.

ok Capt., so I was a little off. []

I mistook your preference for speaker smoothness as a necessity for your poorly recorded music. In actuality, you suggested such a smooth speaker as it would also help with the thread starter's concern about poorly recorded music.

your original post:

For me, I'd say the most important thing is smoothness. I love smooth-sounding speakers (and they tend to help with lower quality recordings).
    I'd say my second most desired speaker attribute would be imaging - as stated above, it really is magical to hear things coming from places in the room that you KNOW should not be possible."