Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: They just arrived

Default Re: They just arrived

Thanks gents....I know, when I first heard about Ascend....I was very intrigued with their products, especially when the Sierra 1 was released....but I took a 4yrs pass until I decided to try them out. Lets just say...I shouldn't have waited so long...lol. It sounds like PSA are striving to do things right from the outset...I know they had some issues early but have since righted the ship...I do know...I'm not going ported this time around and outside of the Traix...the XS30 is my only choice & my next priority.

Fwiw...My last sub was built by Nathan Funk at funywaves...at the time little ws known about him or his designs but I trusted my instincts and dealt with him....with NO regrets....same things with Ascend... so now...off to PSA...I go.

Fingers crossed...Bill...
    Last edited by billy p; 11-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Okay...the Svs PB13U is here...I ran a quick set-up with my avr and I'll try to get familiarized over the next several days, I'll likely EQ some this weekend time permitting. Just off the bat the most noticeable thing with the 13U driver is it hardly even moves...I noticed awhile back with the pb13u and again tonight with the sb13...it's beastly...lol.

Just waiting upon my XS30... it should be shipping out by Wednesday at the latest...this is gonna be a lot of work with the holidays coming up and family plans but I'll have the Svs for the next several months. Anyhow...I'll need to download the manual to figure out all the DSP setting & controls...the member whom loaned me the sub forgot to pack em'....lol.

Cheers, gents

1.jpgIMG_0622 (480x640).jpgIMG_0619 (640x480).jpgIMG_0618 (640x480).jpg
    Last edited by billy p; 12-09-2013 at 08:26 PM.

I almost bought this sub today! Its was that or the Sierra-2 LCR upgrade kit and I went with the S2 upgrade and a sub in the new year, love the look of this sub and fiberglass woofers are very easy on the eyes. Have fun with the subs! Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    I almost bought this sub today! Its was that or the Sierra-2 LCR upgrade kit and I went with the S2 upgrade and a sub in the new year, love the look of this sub and fiberglass woofers are very easy on the eyes. Have fun with the subs! Looking forward to this.
    Yup that would be a worthwhile upgrade as well...likely cheaper too!

Congrats...I can't wait for those pics and measurements tomorrow...

Just a quick synopsis on the SB13u.

It's one impressive sub. Just playing some of my music playlists through my apple tv so far. The sub has worked flawlessly....very articulate, in such a way...it can carry its own tune. Kick drum is especially tight and powerful...comes to a stop with no drag, whatsoever. One of my favorite songs I like to demo...comes from APC and the song is called "The Noose"....the song itself is layered but gets louder and louder with some excellent punchy bass peaks that kick in around the midway point and sb13u handles them with ease and precision. Right now I am still listening to it without REQ just to busy around here to set up a mic...but I plan to REQ this weekend...if I have the house to myself for any length of time.

Anyways...I'll add some more once I have both subs at my disposal...for now...back to our regularly scheduled programming on waiting for any news on the Sierra 2's.

Cheers, Bill

So how's the sb13 treating you? How's it doing with movies?

So how's the sb13 treating you? How's it doing with movies?
    Very impressed...I ran ARC over the weekend...its pretty flat down to 20hz with room gain. After EQ we watched OHF on Netflix that afternoon and later that evening we watched Man Of Steel on BRD. Both movies where a lot of fun and the sb13 dug deep & loud...notwithstanding its size...I'm not sure were some would grade those 2 flicks but both had a ton of LFE. Anyhow...the XS30 should arrive tomorrow ~ noon-5pm. Things are getting close to Xmas now but I'll continue to take some notes and do a brief summary.

Good luck with your Sierra 2upgrade procedure...I was just kidding about the 100 bucks...

Re, Bill...

Here are the graphs...orange calculation chart below was taken with my FA av12x for comparison. Same sub location...the FA was a much larger ported design.

Last edited by billy p; 12-17-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: charts

So now you have over $3000 just in subs in your room

Is one or the other jumping out as the better sub? I have both of these on my short list, SV13 Ultra I can take advantage of their one year trade up, but that XS30 seems like the sub I'm looking for, lots of chest punching and room shaking.

How big is your room? Any luck with EQing them together?

So now you have over $3000 just in subs in your room

Is one or the other jumping out as the better sub? I have both of these on my short list, SV13 Ultra I can take advantage of their one year trade up, but that XS30 seems like the sub I'm looking for, lots of chest punching and room shaking.

How big is your room? Any luck with EQing them together?
    Yup the XS 30 has a significant advantage between 20-100hz..when I listen to each individual sub...I notice the difference but when both are playing not as much!

I will say this when I listen more keenly in trying to hear their differences, the sb13 seems more defined or controlled and accentuates each note when playing the same source...the PSA on the other hand is not quite as detailed but it certainly plays with more oomph or impact and plays louder.

My guess here is because the power x driver in the XS30 is much more sensitive therefore needing less power to reach its full potential. I have tried to level match both subs to within 1-2dbs of each other to compensate with my RSM. By upping the gain control on the Svs it helps play closer to the xs30 levels and allows it to pressurize the room with less effort.

I'll try and watch some movies...I have on tap....but with certain music...the Svs definitely sound better because of its ability to define and play each note but some songs like "Sail" from AWOLNATION I like the xs30 ability to pound into my chest with authority. One of the reasons, I bought it....

Oh..btw...room is ~2700^ft or 20x15 with 9' ceilings...main floor is more than...double that. With both subs level matched closely...I'll use ARC to measure both...since it can only measure for 1 sub.
    Last edited by billy p; 12-20-2013 at 09:50 PM.

So do you feel the SVS lacks that punch and room shaking for movies? Thanks for the feed back, It's really helpful.