Thread: Thinking of making the switch from DefTech to Sierras

Default Thinking of making the switch from DefTech to Sierras

Hi, first post from a long-time reader of the board. I've always toyed with the idea of going with a nice set of bookshelf monitors up front in my home theater set-up for aesthetic purposes as well as the monitors would probably be of better quality than towers in the same price range. Of all the bookshelf speakers I've looked into, the Sierra-1 is the most intriguing. I'm looking for a more detailed sound than what I'm getting from what I currently have. Also, I hardly ever get close to reference level, but I do like listen to a loud action movie now and again, so I'd like to ensure I'm not missing out on the dynamics of such a soundtrack.

I currently have an all DefTech set-up(BP2004TL supertowers, CLR2002, and BP2x surrounds with an eD a2-300 subwoofer) powered by an Onkyo TX NR-808 in my living room. I don't have the exact dimensions of my room, but it's an open floor plan. My listening area is actually pretty small, so i'm only 9-10 ft away from the screen. My current DefTech towers are about 10ft apart as well and approx 10 ft away from the seating area. My system is calibrated to 75db ref level, and I rarely go over -22db or so on all material now, as that's pretty freaking loud.

From what I've gathered, I know a pair of Sierras and Sierra center would give me a more detailed sound, but I would be losing some ouput and the spaciousness of the bi-polar DefTechs as well as the low end their 10" built-in subs provide. So to me, my main sacrifice if I switch to Sierras will be ouput.

Could anyone provide some feedback as to how the Sierras do perform in an Ht setting? Another one of my reasons to possibly make the switch would be for music, which from all accounts the Sierras shine at reproducing, so I'm not just looking for an HT only speaker...

Default Re: Thinking of making the switch from DefTech to Sierras

The Sierra's do fine for HT. One of the more dynamic (if not the most) dynamic bookshelf speakers I have heard. At -22dB from reference, you should be more than fine.
    -curtis

update: b-stock gloss expresso pair of sierra-1s ordered...will have to see if they are what i'm looking for vs. my deftechs...if they win out(which i'm imagining they will) the matching ctr will be on its way to nc soon too...

anyone have any thoughts on running sierras off of an onkyo tx nr808? when the sierras get here i'll either be placing them on 36" stands(what i currently have) or a bookshelf that's about 30" high. they'll be pretty far apart(b/t '9 and 10' ft) but my entertainement set up is along a wall, so i can move them closer together if need be. will there be an issue w/ them possibly being so far apart?

Quote Originally Posted by arrt vandelay View Post
    anyone have any thoughts on running sierras off of an onkyo tx nr808?
    I can't speak for Sierras, but I running 340's, 170's and HTM 200's in a 7.1 configuration with my 808 and I love it! I noticed you don't run your system loud now, you might be tempted to turn it up a little with the Sierra's! When I watch some movies and concert blu-rays, I approach reference level with no problem.

Let us know your impressions of the Sierra's when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by arrt vandelay View Post
    anyone have any thoughts on running sierras off of an onkyo tx nr808?
    You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Art, looking forward to your thoughts on the Sierra-1's. I too am seriously considering upgrading from a def tech set up to Sierra-1's across the front. I assume the version you purchased was the non NRT version since it was b-stock. Is that correct?

sierra-1s have landed...the expresso finish on these really need to be seen to be believed. i've spent a good amount of time listening to some radiohead, sigur ros and the avett brothers this afternoon, and i'm extremely impressed. these really are the most musical speakers i've ever heard. and the bass from such a small package is really impressive...

i've re-run audyssey on my receiver and am running a 4.1 set up right now. i haven't had a chance to watch a movie yet but will prob do so shortly....

so far these are working out as i imagined them...very musical, slightly less efficient than my deftechs, but the amount of bass really hasn't decreased that much...now the hard part...deciding what set of speakers to sell...my energy rc bed room setup or main room deftechs...

Quote Originally Posted by jahjd2000 View Post
    Art, looking forward to your thoughts on the Sierra-1's. I too am seriously considering upgrading from a def tech set up to Sierra-1's across the front. I assume the version you purchased was the non NRT version since it was b-stock. Is that correct?
    they are the non NRT version. i for sure won't be able to afford that upgrade for a while. i'll have to sell some of my existing speakers to fund the sierra-1 center as well.

they were b-stock and davef had said there were some hairline scratches somewhere on the finish, but i sure as heck can't find them...