Thread: HT upgrade help

Default HT upgrade help

I am in the midst of trying a NAD T747 receiver in my setup. I currently have CBM-170 classics as fronts, a Sierra-1 center, M&K 1250THX sub, and Boston Acoustic Soundwares for my surround. I use the Bostons because they are red and look good in my Buckeye room, and I got a killer deal on them. My regular AV receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV, and I connect my blu-ray via 7.1 analog inputs to get the HD audio.

I got a great deal on the NAD from Crutchfield, so I thought I would try it. It will process all the lossless codecs for me, and I have heard great things about their amp section. I must admit that I do notice an upgrade in sound quality from my Elite to the NAD. It is not a huge difference though, just seems more detailed and open.

My question is instead of the NAD would I notice a larger upgrade in my system if I used my Elite and purchased a pair of Sierra 1's for my fronts, and moved my 170's to the rears? My basement is 11'W x 21'L x 7'H, and I am about 80% movies. Would the Sierra's be overkill for a mostly dedicated movie room? Would 170 SE's or 340's be a better fit? I would just like to make the best upgrade in my system for the money I have to spend.

Thanks,
    Kirk

Default Re: HT upgrade help

You will notice a larger difference upgrading to the 340SE or the Sierras rather than the change in receiver, even with the new codecs. I think even the 170SE would be a more noticeable difference.
    -curtis

Default Re: HT upgrade help

Thanks for the info! I tried what Grandarf from over at AVS said, and I must say I was surprised. I hooked up the Sierra to my Pioneer Elite, and the 170 to the NAD. They both sounded very good, but the Sierra goes noticeably lower. I did not try the Sierra on the NAD, I know that outcome would have me buying Sierras and keeping the NAD. The wife would not like that very much.

It is a really tough call for sure. I am really digging the NAD, however I do not notice a drastic difference during music over my Elite. I do think the NAD trumps the Elite in multi channel surround due to better power.

Through my NAD, how should I set my crossover for the 170's and Sierra? It auto set them at 60hz for Sierra center, and 80hz for 170's. Is that what you would recommend?

Lastly, I just cannot get over what a steal the CBM-170's are! They are little gems for sure.