Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SACD's pissing me off.

Default Re: SACD's pissing me off.

Wow old thread brought back to life. Well yeah this is still all over the map. I have a few discs SACD and DVD-A that definitely sound better than most regular cd's and some of those regular discs can sound fairly nasty after they've been " re-mastered ", or remixed, or re-released or just plain messed up. However there are plenty of discs that sound great too....the ole standard sierra 1's make them sound real sweet or real sour depending on the source.
    And looking back in the thread, Curtis was right wondering why more discs weren't released as blu ray music discs. Now........finally starting to get more and more sweet sounding shows on blu ray and some of those sound just great and some are cheaper than SACDs......just not enough......need....more....please.

It looks like a dead thread. SACD is limping along, but Blu-Ray Audio will replace both DVD-A and SACD if multi-channel is to survive.

Not everyone in the country has hardware that decodes DVD-A or SACD. However, almost every home in this country has a Blu-Ray player. It is nice that SACD's play in redbook CD players but I don't think people buy SACD's thinking about versatility. Most people are tech savvy enough to rip the redbook layer in the SACD and listen to the mp3's. Converting the stereo channel in Blu-Ray audio to mp3 is no more difficult.

Old thread, but I'm a new member :-)

I was very interested in SACD and other improvements over CD quality (CDs always sounded a bit harsh to me), but couldn't justify the expense of a new player and the cost of the discs, and the selection was too limited for me.

Then I found out about upsampling CD players, and that solved the problem. Regular CDs (and uncompressed CD quality streams) sound fantastic, with no harshness or listener fatigue. The first one I got was good, but the next (Cambridge Audio Azur 740C) was great. It's possible that SACD might sound a little bit better - I haven't done a head-to-head comparison - but I'm very satisfied with the CA.

I don't think they make it anymore, but some of the same technology is in other products from CA.