Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Default Re: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Good to hear that. So when it is going to be the next GTG, cant wait to hear more reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Im just curious, base on my reading from merrymaid and Dave as well, it seems that the tower are desinged with a bit emphasis on the mid. I always thought that Dave philosphy was about being natural and neutral. I understand that the goal of the tower was emphasising on high and mid range. Cant a natural and neutral desing offer just as good mid and highs?
    Hi Ricardo --

One of the primary goals for the tower was improved midrange performance compared to the Sierra-1 (clarity, detail and imaging.) While the towers sound slightly more forward when compared to the Sierra-1, this is due to dispersion improvements that result in better imaging -- this is not midrange "emphasis". In fact, based on comparing anechoic measurements between the Sierra-1 and the tower, the tower actually has a flatter midrange response.

The tower is extremely neutral and natural sounding, more so than our Sierra-1.

Hope this makes sense and please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or concerns.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    brandon,
    Keep this in mind: TJHUB's setup is optimized for his Salks. Those have ribbon tweeters. I believe the dispersion pattern of a ribbon is somewhat limited vertically. I may just be thinking of the time I listened to some Martin Logans. When I stood up the highs literally disappeared. This is great if you stay in the sweet spot. Also, it pretty much eliminates ceiling reflections. Since the Ascends use a dome tweeter this will most likely create a different response in his room. This may also be a possible explaination as to why there was such a drastic difference when you guys listened at your place.

Just food for thought!
    Hey guys. I thought I'd make some comments on this forum to keep you Ascend fans in check.

As far as the above post, you may be right about reflections and dispersion, but that's what makes my room great. I have distant side walls and a high cathedral ceiling which I think makes my room sound pretty great. I also have decent room treatments consisting of many 4" thick acoustic panels. I think this should do what we're all hoping which is give the Ascend Towers the best environment we can give to perform their best.

My setup may be tweaked for my Salk HT2-TL's, but that was never my focus. I don't think anyone can or should argue that the HT2-TL is a fantastic speaker. I haven't heard anything "better" since owning them. I'm sure there is better, but I'm also certain I can't afford it. What I do know is that my setup is tweaked for ultimate clarity and balance. I have the best sound stage and separation I've ever had. I expect that all of the attendee's hear that from all the speakers at the GTG or I will be personally disappointed. I think I've done a fantastic job with the mix of gear I have right now and I think the sound is magical for most anything I play. I certainly have never had sound even close to what I have now and that includes the first 1-1/2 years I had my Salk's.

One note I'd like to make is that I've had two different pairs of my own speakers at Brandon's place and they always sound "off" to me. I can't explain it better than to say that there is some sort of distortion that exists from room reflections (I'm guessing) and possibly the difference in front end electronics. I will be honest and say I do NOT think the SB Touch that Brandon uses is a good sounding source, especially using it's analog outs. Even through my DAC, I couldn't find any love for for the Touch when I had one. I also realize that this goes against popular opinion of the Touch.

From my visit to Brandon's place, I can easily state that the Towers are FAR better all around than the Sierra-1. Since the Sierra is a decent speaker, this should be taken as a compliment. I think the tweeter is a huge improvement by itself. If this is the new tweeter in the Sierra, than that too is a much better speaker from the ones I tried a couple of years ago.

Overall, I'm expecting the Towers to perform very well in room. I really hope they do!

I think Brandon would agree here, but my HT2-TL's crushed the Ascend Towers in the bass department. My only point for making this statement is that even though the HT2-TL's have such impressive bass down to 20Hz in Brandon's room as well as mine, I too prefer the sound of my EQ'd subs. There is more weight to the bass and overall tone of the speakers. I've tried at least 10 different times over the last couple of years to run my Salk's full range and I always go back to using subs for music. I now have the best bass I've ever heard anywhere with my dual 18" TC Sounds LMS Ultra's in DIY 24" cube, sealed boxes. They amaze me every time I listen now. I'll find out what the group thinks of them when they are here for the GTG.

The GTG next Saturday should be fun. We hope to have several speakers to listen to, so we'll be busy. I'm sure Brandon will keep you guys posted.

Geez! I just saw my old signature. The only things I still have are the Speaker Craft in-walls and the MX-500 remote.
    Last edited by TJHUB; 04-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Terry,
    Found your way back over in here, ha! Hopefully your room(and gear) does all of the speakers in attendance justice, so everyone can enjoy and have a great time!

I will bring the SB Touch for comparison purposes to see what everyone thinks. I agree with you on the HT2-TL's going lower in the bass region although I must say the Ascend Towers hit just as hard, very punchy. The TL design to me has always been a little lacking in this department, no offense Terry or Nuance After hearing the SongTowers and your HT2-TL's, I felt the same way.

One week to go!

B

Brandon and the rest of the guys from Wisconsin are costing me money with the talk of the equipment you have !! Ha Ha! Just had to order a Parasound 2100 stereo pre amp from AV Science, will be getting it this week. That will keep me busy for a while setting up. Now I just need the reviews for the GTG next weekend and the towers to start production. Wish i could be there but i live in SW Florida not exactly a hop skip and a jump. Thanks again for all the updates. Any updates Dave F.??

Quote Originally Posted by Reflections1 View Post
    Brandon and the rest of the guys from Wisconsin are costing me money with the talk of the equipment you have !! Ha Ha! Just had to order a Parasound 2100 stereo pre amp from AV Science, will be getting it this week. That will keep me busy for a while setting up. Now I just need the reviews for the GTG next weekend and the towers to start production. Wish i could be there but i live in SW Florida not exactly a hop skip and a jump. Thanks again for all the updates. Any updates Dave F.??
    Sorry

You will love the 2100, its an awesome preamp especially for the price on AVS! If you are coming from an AVR, the 2100 will easily trump it on all accounts. Keep us posted on your thoughts, and I will do the same after next weekend.

B

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Sorry

You will love the 2100, its an awesome preamp especially for the price on AVS! If you are coming from an AVR, the 2100 will easily trump it on all accounts. Keep us posted on your thoughts, and I will do the same after next weekend.

B

I presently am using a Marantz sr6003 as a preamp to an Emotiva xpa-5. am patiently waiting for new toy. Will let you know thanks Brandon.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Sorry

B
    hmm. Is 2100 on sale on AVS? I could not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    hmm. Is 2100 on sale on AVS? I could not find it.
    Sam i called the main # and i ordered thru Benito ext 110. Very happy with price. i'm sure you'll be surprised.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post
    Hey guys. I thought I'd make some comments on this forum to keep you Ascend fans in check.

As far as the above post, you may be right about reflections and dispersion, but that's what makes my room great. I have distant side walls and a high cathedral ceiling which I think makes my room sound pretty great. I also have decent room treatments consisting of many 4" thick acoustic panels. I think this should do what we're all hoping which is give the Ascend Towers the best environment we can give to perform their best.

My setup may be tweaked for my Salk HT2-TL's, but that was never my focus. I don't think anyone can or should argue that the HT2-TL is a fantastic speaker. I haven't heard anything "better" since owning them. I'm sure there is better, but I'm also certain I can't afford it. What I do know is that my setup is tweaked for ultimate clarity and balance. I have the best sound stage and separation I've ever had. I expect that all of the attendee's hear that from all the speakers at the GTG or I will be personally disappointed. I think I've done a fantastic job with the mix of gear I have right now and I think the sound is magical for most anything I play. I certainly have never had sound even close to what I have now and that includes the first 1-1/2 years I had my Salk's.

One note I'd like to make is that I've had two different pairs of my own speakers at Brandon's place and they always sound "off" to me. I can't explain it better than to say that there is some sort of distortion that exists from room reflections (I'm guessing) and possibly the difference in front end electronics. I will be honest and say I do NOT think the SB Touch that Brandon uses is a good sounding source, especially using it's analog outs. Even through my DAC, I couldn't find any love for for the Touch when I had one. I also realize that this goes against popular opinion of the Touch.

From my visit to Brandon's place, I can easily state that the Towers are FAR better all around than the Sierra-1. Since the Sierra is a decent speaker, this should be taken as a compliment. I think the tweeter is a huge improvement by itself. If this is the new tweeter in the Sierra, than that too is a much better speaker from the ones I tried a couple of years ago.

Overall, I'm expecting the Towers to perform very well in room. I really hope they do!

I think Brandon would agree here, but my HT2-TL's crushed the Ascend Towers in the bass department. My only point for making this statement is that even though the HT2-TL's have such impressive bass down to 20Hz in Brandon's room as well as mine, I too prefer the sound of my EQ'd subs. There is more weight to the bass and overall tone of the speakers. I've tried at least 10 different times over the last couple of years to run my Salk's full range and I always go back to using subs for music. I now have the best bass I've ever heard anywhere with my dual 18" TC Sounds LMS Ultra's in DIY 24" cube, sealed boxes. They amaze me every time I listen now. I'll find out what the group thinks of them when they are here for the GTG.

The GTG next Saturday should be fun. We hope to have several speakers to listen to, so we'll be busy. I'm sure Brandon will keep you guys posted.

Geez! I just saw my old signature. The only things I still have are the Speaker Craft in-walls and the MX-500 remote.
    No argument from me that the Salks are excellent speakers. I am certain they sound as good as you claim.

Now, based on your listening at Brandons' place, your Salks sounded different than in your own home, but they also had noticeable differences between the Ascend towers. So, if your room is optimized, even if unitentionally so, for your Salks, it is still optimized for them. You have put together a system that sounds its best with the Salks since those are the reference standard you based everything else on. Replace those with any other speaker and it will have a different sound. If you are accustomed to your reference sound than you will most likely be biased towards that. I do believe, based on everything that has been posted regarding this whole thing, that the Ascends will sound better in your room. But you must attempt to integrate/calibrate them into your system as best as possible since that has already happened with the Salks. This will give the speakers the most level playing field.

I look forward to everyones impressions of the next GTG!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables