Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Default Re: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Quote Originally Posted by edmondwolfman View Post
    Hey Merry, did the Songtowers not make it to the GTG?
    Negative, only the HT2-TL's. We have a future GTG planned for end of the month where we plan to goto TJHUB's place. Attending will hopefully be the SongTowers(ribbon version), my towers, maybe some Paradigm Sigs, etc.

brandon,
    Keep this in mind: TJHUB's setup is optimized for his Salks. Those have ribbon tweeters. I believe the dispersion pattern of a ribbon is somewhat limited vertically. I may just be thinking of the time I listened to some Martin Logans. When I stood up the highs literally disappeared. This is great if you stay in the sweet spot. Also, it pretty much eliminates ceiling reflections. Since the Ascends use a dome tweeter this will most likely create a different response in his room. This may also be a possible explaination as to why there was such a drastic difference when you guys listened at your place.

Just food for thought!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    brandon,
    Keep this in mind: TJHUB's setup is optimized for his Salks. Those have ribbon tweeters. I believe the dispersion pattern of a ribbon is somewhat limited vertically. I may just be thinking of the time I listened to some Martin Logans. When I stood up the highs literally disappeared. This is great if you stay in the sweet spot. Also, it pretty much eliminates ceiling reflections. Since the Ascends use a dome tweeter this will most likely create a different response in his room. This may also be a possible explaination as to why there was such a drastic difference when you guys listened at your place.

Just food for thought!
    Good point! After the GTG and sifting through the various posts here and AVS, I have come to realize everyones tastes are different, people prefer certain gear, and rooms vary the sound tremendously. With all of these variables, not one is neccesarily right or wrong, only different. I like my Towers and think they sound quite a bit better than the sierras in the same spot. I am curious to hear them in another room and whether I will like the sound or not. Who knows, one mans "flat" room may sound bad to anothers peaky room.

Just proves the point even more that one must listen to the speakers in "Their" room before purchasing.

Thanks for taking the time to post about your gtg, it looked like a fun time. Those Salk's are much larger than I thought they would be. I really like the look of the new Ascend floorstanders.

Far too many people fail to realize the room is the second biggest component affecting the sound from their speakers, the first obviously is the speakers themselves.

Merrymaid 520,
    When listening to the Ascend Towers were there times when you felt that a subwoofer was needed? I am refering to music listening not movies for low sound effects. I think I remember Dave saying that he preffered the Towers without a SW for music but what's your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Merrymaid 520,
    When listening to the Ascend Towers were there times when you felt that a subwoofer was needed? I am refering to music listening not movies for low sound effects. I think I remember Dave saying that he preffered the Towers without a SW for music but what's your opinion.
    A sub is not needed with the towers although I still prefer listening to them with my Eq'ed Rythmik sub. Personal preference I guess.

Im just curious, base on my reading from merrymaid and Dave as well, it seems that the tower are desinged with a bit emphasis on the mid. I always thought that Dave philosphy was about being natural and neutral. I understand that the goal of the tower was emphasising on high and mid range. Cant a natural and neutral desing offer just as good mid and highs?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Im just curious, base on my reading from merrymaid and Dave as well, it seems that the tower are desinged with a bit emphasis on the mid. I always thought that Dave philosphy was about being natural and neutral. I understand that the goal of the tower was emphasising on high and mid range. Cant a natural and neutral desing offer just as good mid and highs?
    merrymaid's comment was in relation to the Salk and original Sierra in his room.

The tower is very neutral. The new dedicated midrange driver does not emphasize the mids, but makes them "better".

You can see in Dave's posted FR that the mids are not emphasized.
    -curtis

My interpretation is that Dave focused on improving the mids and highs. Bass output and extension was not the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    merrymaid's comment was in relation to the Salk and original Sierra in his room.

The tower is very neutral. The new dedicated midrange driver does not emphasize the mids, but makes them "better".

You can see in Dave's posted FR that the mids are not emphasized.
    I concur. I was stating my thoughts in comparison to the sierras and HT2 TL's.