Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Default SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Hey fellow ascend owners!

I am hosting a mini listening event with my new Towers on Saturday 4/2 around noon. If any of you are looking to attend, please PM me for more information.

The plan is to demo the Towers of course among other speakers, possibly some Totems, and hopefully some Salks if I can talk some of my local buddies into bringing theirs

I live about 30 miles west of Milwaukee in East Troy.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Default Re: SE WI Ascend Tower GTG

Update,
    Attendees:
    Nuance from AVS
    TJHUB from AVS
    Chicubs - here
    Dogearz - AVS

Chicubs will be bringing along some Selah speakers as well.

If anyone else is interested, let me know! Paul, forgot to tell you to bring any demo music you like.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Soooooo................it's the day after. We need a bone!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Sorry guys, I posted this in the AVS thread:

Salk HT2-TL's and Ascend Towers(red I think)

Ascend Towers full range measurement running full range no sub (red=average of L&R, Green=left, & Blue=right)

The crew (not including me)

Salks....notice the temporary pink absorption device

Ascends

From AVS again:
    Thanks Terry for the comments! *I enjoyed hosting another GTG and listening to some great tunes!

My impressions of your HT2-TL's are that they are huge and sound awesome *Its hard to put their "sound" into words but all I can say is all frequencies are very balanced, nothing is under/over emphasized. *The Ribbon tweet was extremely smooth, never harsh, and portrayed great detail. *The bass of course was impressive. *Overall, a speaker that has no flavor, specific character, or way about it, it just reproduces great music!

I am thankful the attendees enjoyed my Ascend Towers. *They obviously could not compete down low, but given their size compared to the Salks, its a given. *I did feel they had a bit more mid bass slam to them, like they hit harder on certain percussion(drum type) instruments than the Salks. *Probably has something to do with the TL cabinet vs the bass reflex cabinet design. *The mids to me on the Ascends are great, I like them to be a bit forward, with a good weight to them. *Much better than the sierra-1, more detail as well. *The Salks here also sounded very good, the mids were extremely smooth and detailed and probably flattter than the ascends meaning they dont stand out as much. *I think again, personal preference here, considering I like mids to be a hair forward. **

*As for the highs compared to the Salks, I am not sure I can put it into words other than they sound different. *Some tracks sounded very similar while others varied a bit. *I have always liked the Ribbon in the Salks and was a big fan of the NrT tweet over the standard sierra-1 tweeter. *If I had to summarize the highs between the two, I would say they both are some of the best sounding tweeters in their respective class (Ribbon & soft dome) I have ever heard. *I think it almost comes down to personal preference here, meaning there's not right or wrong.

In fact when speaking to Jim Salk prior to when I had preordered the SongTowers long ago(which of course was canceled), I was debating whether to get the dome or ribbon tweet and he felt some prefer one over the other depending on tastes and music you typically listen to. *I think this holds true based on my observations posted above. *I did forget to add, the dome tweeters typically have a bit wider dispersion as well, I believe I did notice this slightly when not in the sweet spot.

One of the most unusual aspects of this whole day were the full range measurements we took of both speakers using two different mic setups. * After the boys found the sweet spot for speaker placement, we took full range sweeps of each pair of speakers both L, R, then both running. *It was almost shocking that not only my room was pretty flat, but that the Salks and Ascend measured almost identical except below 30hz. *I will post pics later on.

The plan going forward is to bring my Towers up to Terry's place to hear them in a separate room on different gear. *

Thanks to Alex as well, we enjoyed his company, and hope he had a good time!

Thanks,
    Brandon

Thanks for the update Brandon!

Based on your listening thus far, if you had the scratch would you purchase the HT2-TL's in place of the Ascends? I realize they are more than twice the price and not really a fair comparison. Do you think they are twice the speaker?

Now if that is not a loaded question I don't know what is!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post

Based on your listening thus far, if you had the scratch would you purchase the HT2-TL's in place of the Ascends? I realize they are more than twice the price and not really a fair comparison. Do you think they are twice the speaker?

That's kinda like "When did you quit beating your wife?"

Kinda like "do you still beat your wife"

Pulling teeth here
    I simply cannot afford the HT2-TL's if that answers your question As most things audio, price does not always correlate to quality, so no, they are not "twice" the speaker. Based on some of the comments floating around AVS as well, sometimes these purchases come down to personal preferences and tastes.

Hey Merry, did the Songtowers not make it to the GTG?