Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Sierra over CBM?

Default Why Sierra over CBM?

So while I was waiting to be registered, I sent this to Dave, but I'm curious to hear what people on these forums have to say:

For background, many years ago, I bought a pair of the original CBM-170s from you. A few years later, I bought another pair for some surrounds and finally bought a CMT-340 for a center channel. Those, combined with a HSU VTF-2 (which seemed to be recommended at the time) have made me perfectly happy with my entertainment system.

Since my purchases, Ascend has added to its line-up with the Sierra-1, Sierra-1 NrT, and the 'se' change for all the speakers, not to mention the upcoming tower. Everything about them sounds very exciting, but I try to remain as objective about this as possible.

So I must ask, beyond the nebulous claim "they sound better" why should I consider upgrading to a higher end product? What improvements would I hear by doing so?

For reference, these speakers are in my living room, which is about 20'x12', but feels a lot smaller than that due to furniture. Listening positions are about 8'-12' from the main speakers and about 6' from the surrounds. Those are powered by an Onkyo TX-NR708 A/V receiver. We use the system for about 80% movies, 10% music and 10% video games.

I realize that other speaker companies don't do this (or maybe they do and I'm just ignorant), but when presented a choice between several different products of differing prices, it would be nice to know why one should choose a more expensive one (or a less expensive one) compared to another. Especially since Ascend has gone all out to put up the specs and high quality measurements. But based on what I've seen on those charts, I can't been able to figure out why I (or anyone) should choose a Sierra-1 over a CBM-170.

Default Re: Why Sierra over CBM?

If you are happy with the CBM-170's and are looking to be convinced to replace them with the Sierra-1, I ask why? If it ain't broke..........!

On the other hand, I did swap my original CBM-170's with Sierra-1's. Measurements only tell part of the story. While the 170's were a very good speaker, and I never had any complaints, the Sierra's took the sound to higher levels. I don't mean loudness. If the 170's give you a 720P picture, the Sierra-1 kicks it to 1080P with 3D glasses. You hear more details. There's more definition to the bass. There's greater impact, or tactile feel to the sound. You "see" deeper into the music.

Adding the NrT upgrade took things up a notch again. A bit more forward mids, airier highs with more energy and kick. And what seems like an expanded soundstage. Almost holographic.

If you can justify the small expense to audition them in your home for 30 days, whether it is the Sierra-1 or the NrT, that is the best way to find out if either is right for you.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Well, the receiver is a new purchase and opens up things for me. I currently have a 6.1 setup officially though the rear speaker is a joke. I can now move onto a 7.1 setup and/or drive some speakers in a different location (like my kitchen. I sometimes listen to music when I cook).

So I'm kinda in the market for new speakers, but I'm not fully convinced that I need some. Back when I got the CBMs, they had everything I needed, i.e. flat response, good sound staging. Heck I was impressed early on when I first tested them out along with a center channel and a 5.1 receiver, and all the sound seemed to be coming from the center until I went up to the receiver to make adjustments. No, it turned out that the speakers blended the sound so well that I didn't realize that they were coming from two separate sources (and the center speaker was in fact off).

Even a few years ago, I was sitting on my couch reading something while listening to music and an acoustic guitar bit came on, and it honestly sounded like someone was on a stool playing guitar to my left. I had to stop and take a look because it just jumped out at me.

This is all with the pre-SE CBM-170. And now that I'm looking into speakers again, I'm wondering why I should consider getting the Sierra when the CBM has already blown me away time and time again.

Back when I bought these, Ascend only had two products, HTM and CBM. The CBM had a better response curve, so the choice was obvious. And when the CMT was released, it had a higher sensitivity and a lower cutoff. But now Ascend has 4 products with 2 more on the way (I don't count the NrT option until I can order it from the site ) and the choices are less obvious now, except that the Sierras cost more than twice as much as the CBMs.

I initially wrote to Dave directly partially because I think that this sort of question has got to come up often among potential buyers, and there's little information on the site that can help guide people to making a decision.

Given the recent purchase of the receiver, I'm probably going to wait a paycheck or two before dropping any money on speakers, but that doesn't mean that I can't do my homework before then.

I think you would have to try them. I trust DaveF's information, but speakers are a very subjective thing.

However, there are some objective points. Price is one. For me personally, I'm using Ascends for a home theater. Right now, it has 7 speakers, and soon I'll be adding 4 more for an Audyssey DSX 11.2 setup. Using 340SE and HTM200s for this is expensive... using the higher-end Ascends would be even more so! A nice thing that Ascend provides is the option to upgrade your non-SE speakers to SEs for a small fee. I plan on doing this to my HTM200s eventually. Maybe that's what you should do for your speakers.

The next objective point is speaker sensitivity. If you listen to dynamic music and movies, you need a speaker that your amp can drive easily. I'm using 340SEs for my LCRs because they are the most sensitive speakers Ascend currently has, and my THX Select reciever can power them easily. It could NOT power the HTM200s properly when I was using them for LCRs, and it clipped and blew them up. Sierras have the same sensitivity as HTM200s. Your amp has the same power as mine. If you like things loud, I'd avoid the Sierra's or get a beefier amp.

Just a couple more things to think about. No matter what you end up doing, you will have some of the best speakers ever made. There is a reason Ascend is still around when others have folded up shop.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
    A nice thing that Ascend provides is the option to upgrade your non-SE speakers to SEs for a small fee. I plan on doing this to my HTM200s eventually. Maybe that's what you should do for your speakers.
    I didn't realize that this was an option or still an option. If Dave or Curtis don't reply to this thread today, I'll shoot one of them an email. Depending on price, this is an upgrade I'd likely be willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
    Sierras have the same sensitivity as HTM200s. Your amp has the same power as mine. If you like things loud, I'd avoid the Sierra's or get a beefier amp.
    I did notice that the sensitivity was reduced. I appreciate loud, but I don't like things too loud. Based on the numbers I posted earlier, 8-12 ft translates to 2.4-3.7m. If I'm doing the math correctly, that means that with a sensitivity of 87dB @ 1W-1m of power, I'd be getting around 76dB-79dB at listening positions, right? That's about as loud as I like.

At 10W, it would be 86-89dB at listening position, which should be plenty, as that's hearing damage levels. Can someone check my numbers to make sure that I'm not doing the math wrong?

In any event, I've been eyeballing Emotiva amps, so I can always get one of those just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sthayashi View Post
    I didn't realize that this was an option or still an option. If Dave or Curtis don't reply to this thread today, I'll shoot one of them an email. Depending on price, this is an upgrade I'd likely be willing to do.
    Shoot that email to Dave or Ascend...not me. Might even be better to call Ascend.
    -curtis

woops thought I double posted, good that this forum prevents that- bad that i just removed my post, hah. well I'm sure yall got an email update

To answer why the graphs are different, I believe the ones you found in that thread, from 2005, is of the older "non-SE" 170 and 340.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    woops thought I double posted, good that this forum prevents that- bad that i just removed my post, hah. well I'm sure yall got an email update
    Here what I got in the email:

like how you posted this thread, it's a good question- as the description of advancement per speaker model is not exactly clearly defined. Perhaps this is on purpose as the speakers as a whole are fantastic- and some may not be made to 'replace' other models but are possibly complimentary in sound but for different use.. im thinking of this new tower and it's probable fullrange abilities- something I personally do not find important since I am a fan of pairing with a dedicated sub-- now I'm sure the tower offers more than just that one feature, as it will blow away the 170's in many other aspects- no doubt.
    Back to the original question and request for a beefier description would be nice. After some digging I bumped into this thread back on this forum actually: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...2&postcount=17
    For starters I am curious as to why the spectral decay image is not the same as what's on the main site, but that's not too big of a deal; but what the post states is the major advancements of the 340 vs the 170..to go back to the OP I think some of the major advancements of the sierra over the 170 are much more detail heard, great FR from off-axis angles, and the ability to run without a sub if needed- they go pretty low for many people's tastes.
    My response isn't meant to actually answer any questions for you, but just agree that more definition as to what each product has on eachother would be nice; but perhaps that's bad business as it plays down previous products..I have no idea.. what would be good is a simple guide to select speakers based on a few simple descriptors (like no sub used, large room, mostly music) and it'd recommend the sierras as a stereo pair for purchase; or (need a sub, want 5 channel, not much room for rear-surrounds) and it'd pop up rythmik sub, and some htm's for the rear-- explaining that they can be placed on the wall, directly mounted. its just an idea.
    -curtis

Thanks for reposting that!
    Regarding those graphs, lets bring this over to the other thread I had going, i feel bad jacking this thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=36794