Thread: Got sierra-1 nrt's!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Got sierra-1 nrt's!

Hello all,
    I will post extended review later.... Right now I need help! Got them yesterday, was able to get them installed today. I have only been able to listen for 10-15 minutes. Installed in family room, have to share with wife and son. In the short time I had with music it became glaringly obvious that I need a better cd player. I knew this when I got my cbm-170se's. It just was not THIS obvious.
    I currently have a vintage 1991 technics 5 disc changer. Yes, please go ahead and LYAO. I bought it new at circuit city and it still works! Just does not sound good anymore! Imagine that.
    Can you guys give me a heads up on a under 600.00 dollar player. Looking at Oppo. Just talked to David, He said Marantz . Probably go with that unless arm is twisted in oyher direction.

Default Re: Got sierra-1 nrt's!

I suspect you won't go wrong with either option. Take a look at the specs - there might be some differences in the processing chips used. Oppo is typically pretty highly regarded.

How about a Virtue Audio Piano? Sells new for $699. If you're shopping used, I have an Ah! Tjoeb 4000 which is Marantz based that I am not presently using. Recommend you start a new thread for this topic.

You are aware that there's pretty much no audible between cd players right? I have a NAD541i something I think it is, which was well regarded at the time, that I picked up used for around 200$, I compared it to an old cheapo 100$ Panasonic DVD player, and as logic dictated I was unable to hear any difference... (Think it was a 4 or 5 hundred dollar or something... 500$.. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2002.html) Btw, not really using the cd player anymore, almost exclusively a laptop feeding digital to an external DAC (Behringer DEQ2496), lossless easily beats switching CDs, and digital->DAC was a must because audio out of the laptop really was horrible...

Unless there's a glaring deficiency with your current cd player, you probably won't gain much if anything by spending 6 or 8 hundred... So depending how comfortable you are with your wallet, you might want to spend that money on better things... For audio, room treatment would make a real difference, and depending on your amp, maybe that... 600$ almost gets you a rythmik sub too...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-23-2011 at 08:45 PM.

girgle....maybe the analog outs are the problem.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    girgle....maybe the analog outs are the problem.
    Possible, but "unless there's a glaring deficiency with your current cd player, you probably won't gain much if anything by spending 6 or 8 hundred..."

What would be the point in spending 600$ on a cd player when you can get for 100$ something which will do the job equally well? For 100$ you can get a blue ray player , which plays cds as well, and you're left with 500$ of spare change... Not chump change! Hell, a regular DVD player should be cheaper and would work equally well...

Hell, for 600$, you can get a netbook, a DAC, a media player, and run everything from there... Rip your songs in lossless, store on the laptop, access everything directly and instantly... No need to change CDs, and you have a flexible laptop instead of an ultra expensive ancient device which only reads CDs...

If the cd player at least sounded better... Then ok... But blind tests seem to indicate otherwise. The only thing might be track/load time, (dvd players have to detect the format), but then that's probably been improved compared to an old cheapo panasonic dvd player... Expensive cd players should be a thing of the past IMHO... Hell, you could buy a DAC, PS3/xbox360, plus a 'small' (22 inch) screen for 600$...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.