Page 91 of 271 FirstFirst ... 8687888990919293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

I see in the introduction page of the Towers it says Dark Cherry, but when you're about to make an order the Dark Cherry isn't there. Is that a custom finish?

Thanks

Djoel

I'm almost positive that "Satin Cherry" is the same as "Dark Cherry".

Thanks, if anyone else care to confirm the above?

Djoel

Quote Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
    I see in the introduction page of the Towers it says Dark Cherry, but when you're about to make an order the Dark Cherry isn't there. Is that a custom finish?

Thanks

Djoel
    Quote Originally Posted by logicology View Post
    I'm almost positive that "Satin Cherry" is the same as "Dark Cherry".
    Thanks, if anyone else care to confirm the above?

Djoel
    I apologize in advance for any confusion... We offer one cherry dye (dark cherry) with two different clear coat finishes, satin and high gloss. The satin cherry is indeed the same as the satin dark cherry. High gloss finishes are considered custom.

Again, I apologize for any confusion on our end.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave, I'm a Cherry guy either way I'm sure the finish is beautiful.

Dan

Smile Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

My Satin Espresso Towers have arrived!

I don't know about their sound yet, since I am busy with work, but they surely look gorgeous.

Pictures, pictures, pictures...

Djoel

My espresso ribbon towers came today as well! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Tomorrow night we're going to a Philadelphia Orchestra concert. I might rather stay home and listen to recordings. Is that wrong?

Smile Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Pictures, pictures, pictures...

Djoel

OK. Here is a tiny-mini-review with some pictures.

Background:
    I am an audiophile - I love music.
    But when it comes to experience with audio equipment, sound calibration, trained ears and audio vocabulary, my skills approach zero. (At least compared to most people that post in these forums).
    For 7 years I enjoyed my pair of Ascend CBM-170 as mains, but I knew they were the bottleneck to better sound.

First upgrade:
    Last year I couldn't resist an opportunity to acquire a local pair of Rockets 850s. These speakers have opened up a new world for my ears. More musical, detailed, smooth, more real and finally some bass. I started listening to more music and even discovered some tracks I previously had not noticed. My room then became the new bottleneck.

Second upgrade:
    I couldn't stop there so I learned how to make panels. With the room treated, the virtual location of the sounds played by the Rockets became much more precise. The sound was sharper. Bass appeared to be actually generated in the room. I was starting to understand what people here describe as imaging and sound stage. Bottleneck moved back to the speakers.

Third upgrade:
    Like bitten kids who run to their home, crying for help, the CBM-170 pair call upon their big brothers to fight the Rocket bullies.

And they finally have arrived:

David's care with quality shows in every step.

Moment of doubt for me ... and rejoice for my wife: the new speakers are more compact and smaller in every dimension:

Will they be able to beat these big bad Rocket bullies ?

Smoke Test
    Wife and kid thought it would take me about 30 minutes to connect them.
    I asked them to choose some MP3 to listen on the Rockets first. They chose their Jason Mraz and Adele's favorites. 20 seconds later, I press play and hear the new Towers in complete disbelief. I look at them, and they say: "it's not possible - you must have done something in the receiver. The receiver must be cleaning up the songs!"

My first impression was that the digital sound, with it's discrete signals, was now continuous ... analog if I could say that.

I barely could listen to the speakers during the first 30 minutes as my family thought I was joking with them.

The upgrade from the Rockets to these, is considerably more obvious when from the CBM-170 to the Rockets.

And by the way ... those Rocket bullies cried when my wife said: "Sell them or throw them away. I don't want to hear them anymore. The Sierras are better in every way!"

That's all for now. I will see if I can continue next week, when I have time to listen to better material.

Quote Originally Posted by makutaku View Post
    OK. Here is a tiny-mini-review with some pictures...
    makutaku,

I'm so sorry for the disappointment. Since it's obvious you and your family do not like the new Sierra Towers, I'm sure some folks here would be willing to pay you a fair price to take them off your hands.

Yes, I am being facetious.

Thanks for posting your thoughts and some great pics. I think the Satin Espresso is, officially, my favorite finish. Those are gorgeous. The side-by-side images really show off how big those Rockets are. You also owe me a keyboard since I drooled all over this one and released the magic smoke.

I'd say it's a win-win: the Sierra Towers deliver strong marks in WAF and desired sound quality.

By the way, I see the number 233 in the second image. My first thought was that it indicates either a specific production unit or (more likely) a matched pair. Or maybe it means how many hairs Dave lost while assembling that specific Tower.

ENJOY!!
    -Jacob