Page 81 of 271 FirstFirst ... 7677787980818283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Are you guys planning to send a pair to stereophiles or other independent reviewers. Sound like everybody is exited, but would like to see some professional reviews before ordering.
    Especially unbiased comparison between Sierra tower and other competitors in $2k range.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by surfcane View Post
    I wanted to post some of my impressions comparing the Towers to the Towers with the ribbons.

I have had the Towers for a couple of months and the Ribbon towers since Tues. Today I was finally able to sit down and try some A/B comparisons.

Basic info:

NAD 775HD
    using NAD CD player in analog bypass mode
    I have the Ribbons as the mains and then regular Towers as the B speakers
    so that I can switch A/B as easy as possible. The towers are approx 5 feet apart and approx 10 feet from where I am listening.

Source material is all normal CDs using
    Elton John Live in Australia (DDD)
    Adele 21
    Jack Johnson
    Matt Nathason
    Keb Mo
    Nora Jones
    Grammy 2010 & 2011 for variety

Let me first say that the regular Towers play louder in this set up when I switch A/B (I do not have an SPL meter to determine but must adjust -4 to -6 dB to get similar volume when I listen.)

Let me say that I love both sets of Towers but to my ears the ribbons really are smoother, slightly more laid back, very clean, seem to hear more detail and better imaging. The word I want to keep using is smooth - the vocals are so smooth and rich but detailed. Does have that lighter airy feel that Dave and a few others have described. The regular towers sound a bit more harsh and forward to me (They do not sound harsh at all - just trying to provide some info to distinguish the two)

I want to thank Dave and Dina as well for all the time, effort, help etc they put into helping me (& I am sure everyone else). It is more than a pleasure to do business with you/ya'll - not to mention the amazing speakers as a small bonus lol.

I will be happy to try to answer any questions - but I feel that the Ribbons are worth the investment that I made, and I am looking forward to the STC as well.

Edit: I went back and read Brandon's post(s) on page 79 and I would say my impression is similar with regard to the ribbons, including picking similar words before I read his post.
    Thanks so much for posting your thoughts! There should not be such a large difference in sensitivity as you have indicated. Anechoically, the ribbon version of the tower is actually 1dB higher than the dome version. However, in-room sensitivity will be about the same since the dome has overall wider dispersion than the ribbon.

I suspect the difference in sensitivity you have noted is due to placement or the electronics involved in the A/B switching. Please let me know if you have figured out the cause.

Thanks!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I switched the inputs for A/B speakers ie Ribbons to B and Towers to A - it was the opposite - now the Ribbons played louder about 3-4(5dB) compared to the regular Towers - so the difference was there.

Even after switching I still prefer the Ribbons for me and my ears in my space.

I will do more listening over the holidays when I am not working (I am working just not as much lol - I have to pay for the towers right lol)

I will also try some different equipment as well and do some comparison with SACD, DVD-a, Bluray to get a better feel and will post those thoughts.

Did watch Thor on bluray the other evening and it sounded great - now I just need the STC.

Thanks again Dave and Merry Xmas/Happy New Years to you and yours!!

Also, I am in the Atlanta area, so if some really wants to compare the two towers and lives here or near here, and your schedule fits my schedule then I could be available to let you do some A/B listening.

Quote Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post
    Are you guys planning to send a pair to stereophiles or other independent reviewers. Sound like everybody is exited, but would like to see some professional reviews before ordering.
    Especially unbiased comparison between Sierra tower and other competitors in $2k range.

Thanks
    We do have a pair of natural towers out for review. I don't know when this will be published but I would guess sometime in the next few months.

We don't meet Stereophile's qualifications for review since we don't have any retailers. Right now, our focus is on fulfilling orders but you can be sure of more professional reviews as we nail down production and have more stock on hand.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yowser. It's been a while since I've been on this forum. Those speakers are stunning at least in the looks department. Might have to order a pair but would probably need a professional review before biting the bullet.

Any ETA updates on the latest batch?

Quote Originally Posted by godzen View Post
    I have a pair of Towers, and a Tower Center that were ordered first week of December. I'm looking at middle, to end of January, with the Tower Center some undefined time after that.

I've had the same speaker system for about ten years now, so I should be in no big rush. Alas that does not seem to be the way these things work .

The wait is excruciating, I've chewed off all my fingernails, & I've asked the psychiatrist for a coma inducing prescription, or at least some Prozac (I might be over dramatizing a bit here).

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by godzen View Post
    We will be receiving the finished cabinets either at the end of this week or the beginning of next week

From there we will start assembly and shipping.

Thanks so much for your continued patience!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I have a pair of Towers, and a Tower Center that were ordered first week of December. I'm looking at middle, to end of January, with the Tower Center some undefined time after that.

I've had the same speaker system for about ten years now, so I should be in no big rush. Alas that does not seem to be the way these things work .

The wait is excruciating, I've chewed off all my fingernails, & I've asked the psychiatrist for a coma inducing prescription, or at least some Prozac (I might be over dramatizing a bit here).

Jay
    I know exactly what you mean. I waited ten years to finally buy the setup I wanted. I wired one house for surround, sold that one, moved again, and finally started the serious research needed for a serious system about 5 months ago.

The first ten years was easy (didn't know what I was missing), the research was fun, but the time between placing the order and actually receiving the speakers was exhausting!

I am here to tell you, though, it was worth every minute and every penny! No doubt about it.
    Last edited by JustaSheep; 12-27-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: correction