Page 80 of 271 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

I wanted to post some of my impressions comparing the Towers to the Towers with the ribbons.

I have had the Towers for a couple of months and the Ribbon towers since Tues. Today I was finally able to sit down and try some A/B comparisons.

Basic info:

NAD 775HD
    using NAD CD player in analog bypass mode
    I have the Ribbons as the mains and then regular Towers as the B speakers
    so that I can switch A/B as easy as possible. The towers are approx 5 feet apart and approx 10 feet from where I am listening.

Source material is all normal CDs using
    Elton John Live in Australia (DDD)
    Adele 21
    Jack Johnson
    Matt Nathason
    Keb Mo
    Nora Jones
    Grammy 2010 & 2011 for variety

Let me first say that the regular Towers play louder in this set up when I switch A/B (I do not have an SPL meter to determine but must adjust -4 to -6 dB to get similar volume when I listen.)

Let me say that I love both sets of Towers but to my ears the ribbons really are smoother, slightly more laid back, very clean, seem to hear more detail and better imaging. The word I want to keep using is smooth - the vocals are so smooth and rich but detailed. Does have that lighter airy feel that Dave and a few others have described. The regular towers sound a bit more harsh and forward to me (They do not sound harsh at all - just trying to provide some info to distinguish the two)

I want to thank Dave and Dina as well for all the time, effort, help etc they put into helping me (& I am sure everyone else). It is more than a pleasure to do business with you/ya'll - not to mention the amazing speakers as a small bonus lol.

I will be happy to try to answer any questions - but I feel that the Ribbons are worth the investment that I made, and I am looking forward to the STC as well.

Edit: I went back and read Brandon's post(s) on page 79 and I would say my impression is similar with regard to the ribbons, including picking similar words before I read his post.
    Last edited by surfcane; 12-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Gov,

I have moved all posts regarding discussion of your 340 SE center into a new thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4836

This important thread about the Sierra Towers and STC has gotten way off track, sorry
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Gov,

I have moved all posts regarding discussion of your 340 SE center into a new thread: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4836

This important thread about the Sierra Towers and STC has gotten way off track, sorry
    Yes, thanks!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Hello all.
    Just wanted to post a quick question.
    I have been following the evolution of the Towers and would love to hear them. I have the Sierra-1 NrT's and love the sound! Reading the mini reviews of those who have heard them is great, but you cannot get the true feel for them as nothing beats actual listening. Having said that, I have a question about their sound!

I had some time to audition a pair of speakers at a local Hi-end A/V shop. They were ADAM Column Mk3 Towers. Retail is $7K/pair. The amps & Pre were Parasound Halo. The Amps were monoblocks. The CD player was a high end Marantz. The sound was incredible. They use some proprietary folded ribbon type tweeter called X-ART, same thing with the mid driver.

Has anyone heard these? If so, have anyone also heard the Ascend Towers with the RAAL tweeter and could compare? Perhaps Dave has some knowledge of these German made speakers? I realize the price difference alone does not allow a fair comparison, but I immediately bought the same demo disc the salesman played(Madonna's Celebration) and played it on my Sierra-1 Nrt/Marantz SR6003 AVR/Rythmik 12" sealed sub. Aside from the size of the soundstage, dynamics and bass, I felt the Sierra's acquitted themselves rather well.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

The main website has been updated with Tower info!
    -curtis

Awesome front page update
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Sierra Tower pair, pre-order @ $949.00 only ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Omanian View Post
    Sierra Tower pair, pre-order @ $949.00 only ??????
    $949 is actually deposit amount which you pay when you place an order, rest you pay when towers are ready to be finished and the final amount would be based on whatever veneer/color and tweeter (Nrt/RAAL) you pick.

Those towers are absolutely beautiful, i just need to figure out a way to justify using the sierra 1s as surrounds or sell them. How much of a difference in sound are the towers?

There should be a significant difference between the two. Dynamics, lower distortion, etc. You are going from a bookshelf 2-way to a floorstander with a tweeter, dedicated midrange in a sealed sub-enclosure, and 2 woofers. The sound will have more tactile feel as more air is being moved, with lower distortion due to the burden of lower frequencies being completely removed from the midrange. I'd love to hear a pair myself.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables