Page 79 of 271 FirstFirst ... 7475767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by edmondwolfman View Post
    Hey Merry, this is a question from your time with the "salk" boys. If I remember correctly they thought the Towers with NrT tweets were a little too forward (compared to Songtower Ribbon). Since you had the NrTs and now have the RAALs would you say that the detail is there but the RAALs are less forward than the NrTs? Do you think your towers with the RAALs are something they would like better now that they have the ribbon tweets?

I tried the Sierra-1 NrTs and in my listening area the NrTs were just a little too forward for me but the towers with the RAAL tweeters have grabbed my attention and I might demo a pair of those next year sometime (if Dave will allow me another in home demo. I really hated to not keep the Sierra-1 NrTs but they were just a little too forward for my room)
    Hi Edmond.
    My buddies who have the Salks with the Ribbons always thought the Nrt domes were not as accurate in terms of timbre(instrument) sound etc. The combination of the Nrt and my previous prototype crossover (which now is new and they have yet to hear) were the source of the "forwardness" they heard. The Nrt was an improvement to me and to them but still not the sound they were after or preferred. We are hoping to all meet up so we can hear all our new gear after the holidays.
    As for my thoughts after getting the RAAL's, they are better all around so far. I have not found anything in which the domes surpassed them. They do not sound any more forward or bright in comparison but offer extended highs in such a smooth manner. With the presentation being so smooth, they may be a hair less forward sounding than the domes, with no hint of sibilance whatsoever.

I feel my buddies will truly enjoy the Towers now with the RAAL's. They are ribbon fans and most only have the LCY version and the RAAL is even better To me, the RAAL's are extemely accurate and offer the extended highs without any harsheness at all. Whether or not you consider them too forward, is tough to say. In home demo my friend

Good luck,
    Brandon
    Last edited by merrymaid520; 11-22-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Hi Edmond.
    My buddies who have the Salks with the Ribbons always thought the Nrt domes were not as accurate in terms of timbre(instrument) sound etc. The combination of the Nrt and my previous prototype crossover (which now is new and they have yet to hear) were the source of the "forwardness" they heard. The Nrt was an improvement to me and to them but still not the sound they were after or preferred. We are hoping to all meet up so we can hear all our new gear after the holidays.
    As for my thoughts after getting the RAAL's, they are better all around so far. I have not found anything in which the domes surpassed them. They do not sound any more forward or bright in comparison but offer extended highs in such a smooth manner. With the presentation being so smooth, they may be a hair less forward sounding than the domes, with no hint of sibilance whatsoever.

I feel my buddies will truly enjoy the Towers now with the RAAL's. They are ribbon fans and most only have the LCY version and the RAAL is even better To me, the RAAL's are extemely accurate and offer the extended highs without any harsheness at all. Whether or not you consider them too forward, is tough to say. In home demo my friend

Good luck,
    Brandon
    You mention 'extended highs' several times; is that where you feel the major difference is between the RAAL and the nrt tweeter? The reason I ask is that my 70+ yr old ears probably don't detect anything about 10K Hz (at best), so am wondering if I would tell ANY difference between them! In fact, might I not benefit esp from the 'more forward' sound of the nrt's?

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
    You mention 'extended highs' several times; is that where you feel the major difference is between the RAAL and the nrt tweeter? The reason I ask is that my 70+ yr old ears probably don't detect anything about 10K Hz (at best), so am wondering if I would tell ANY difference between them! In fact, might I not benefit esp from the 'more forward' sound of the nrt's?
    I would say its a combination of extended highs and a more natural sound. The RAAL's have better timbre accuracy therefore reproducing the sound closer to reality. I can easily tell the difference, but I am only 31. With your hearing, I would maybe consult Dave before dropping the $700.

Brandon: Now that you tried NrT and RAAL, what would you prefer for primary HT use? I remember Dave still prefered NrT for dynamic HT sources and I guess as you said, well recorded source is a key for RAALs to shine, correct?

Merrymaid, i wish you and your salk fellows could set up an audition in comparison, specically the salk tower Ribbon and the Ht2tl.

Quote Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post
    Brandon: Now that you tried NrT and RAAL, what would you prefer for primary HT use? I remember Dave still prefered NrT for dynamic HT sources and I guess as you said, well recorded source is a key for RAALs to shine, correct?
    To be honest, I was worried the Ribbons would not be "dynamic enough" too. After reading through Dave's comparison study and of course owning them now, I feel they are more than capable of HT duty. In fact, I would say due to their superior accuracy, I might still prefer them over the domes. I am all about accurate sound reproduction! I was cranking up "fast five" on blu-ray on them recently and they sounded excellent
    Last edited by merrymaid520; 11-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Merrymaid, i wish you and your salk fellows could set up an audition in comparison, specically the salk tower Ribbon and the Ht2tl.
    stay tuned, its only a matter of time. We all have some new gear, varying from speakers to DAC's that we want to check out. With the holidays, it probably wont happen until next year

Default Re: Latest Update

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ...The STC is complete and other than a very minor grille change, the design is 100% completed...

Final dimensions are:

11" high x 23" wide x 12.5" deep (13" deep with grille)...
    Hi, Dave. The shelf that I would be using to support the STC has a rated capacity of 50 lbs. Can you confirm that the STC with RAAL ribbon upgrade is safely under that maximum?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
    Hi, Dave. The shelf that I would be using to support the STC has a rated capacity of 50 lbs. Can you confirm that the STC with RAAL ribbon upgrade is safely under that maximum?

Thanks.
    It should come in at about 40 pounds -- you are definitely safe
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It should come in at about 40 pounds -- you are definitely safe
    Thanks, Dave. I'm not sure how safe I am, but it's good to know that the shelf and speaker will be.