Page 64 of 271 FirstFirst ... 5960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Talking Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    Good Job Dave, definitely looks nicer

At first I wasn't quite sure what was different, just that it seemed less 'massive'. But after finding the previous tower center photo in the thread, you can see it definitely isn't as wide as before, just a bit deeper, and about the same height. A+
    great to add a center to the fold, can't wait to hear opinions on a full set with a couple of rythmik subs along for the ride

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post
    Photos
    These are fantastic photos! Thank you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Moving along nicely I hope to have the crossover finished by the end of this weekend and then the cabinets will go into production.

Here is a pic of the new prototype next to a 340 SE center. The STC cabinet dimensions are now 23" wide x 10.875" high x 12.5" deep.
    Wow, fantastic, Dave! This is faster than I had hoped. And they do look great. (Put me down for the basic matt black! I always liked the finish of the 340's.)

I leave Friday for 2 weeks in Ann Arbor MI (to visit daughters family, and my grand-daughters 8th b-day!), by the time I get back home things should be well underway.

PS: I've finished the carpentry on the stand under my projector screen to be able to accept the 23" width of the TC. Other dimensions also work well. Really juiced for this center speaker!
    Last edited by millerwill; 09-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Regarding the ribbon vs. dome specs, which one has the lower distortion and how do you feel the ribbon integrates with the dynamic midrange and woofers?

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    Regarding the ribbon vs. dome specs, which one has the lower distortion and how do you feel the ribbon integrates with the dynamic midrange and woofers?
    Hm. I wouldn't think either would have any amount of audible distortion to speak of, and both should integrate quite well as different crossover mechanics are necessitated between the different types to have them function properly. So they consequently do offer different qualities from one another too. Domes have a wider dispersion more ideal for HT, and ribbons are smoother sounding, better suited to stereo use. (as far as I remember that's right, but more info should also be listed earlier in the thread).
    Last edited by choirbass; 09-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    I've a tower with ribbon and it integrates with the woofer beautifully :-) Not having heard the dome tweeter, I cannot compare. If you play the right recording, you will fall in love with the ribbon tweeter. I find myself playing the time-out SACD more and more

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    I've a tower with ribbon and it integrates with the woofer beautifully :-) Not having heard the dome tweeter, I cannot compare. If you play the right recording, you will fall in love with the ribbon tweeter. I find myself playing the time-out SACD more and more
    Hey sam,
    do you mind elaborating more on the sound of the Ribbon version of your towers now that you have lived with them for a bit? I guess I am curious moreso about the imaging, dispersion, detail, and dynamics of it. Being you have not heard the Nrt version (which I own), can you compare them to anything else you are familar with?

Just curious......

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Hey sam,
    do you mind elaborating more on the sound of the Ribbon version of your towers now that you have lived with them for a bit? I guess I am curious moreso about the imaging, dispersion, detail, and dynamics of it. Being you have not heard the Nrt version (which I own), can you compare them to anything else you are familar with?

Just curious......
    Sure Brian.

I have owned Sierra-1, so I can compare some characteristics.

Imaging - The imaging of Tower is more center focused the Sierra-1. I was a little perplexed by that in the beginning. Sierra-1 used to throw a very wide sound stage and for a few tracks it used to feel like the surrounds were on. However, I was listening to more room reflections than the speaker itself I have a glass window on the right side of the room and although it's covered, it's still very reflective. I could still achieve this effect somewhat with Towers without any tow-in, but I prefer them slightly towed-in now.

Dispersion - From the above experience, you can figure out that sierra-1 tweeter has much wider dispersion, but depending on the room, the ribbon could be preferred. I have a rectangular room (13x18) and the speakers are about 36"-42" from the wall. I do not lose any details from either tweeter from my listening positions or when I stand up. I seat about 12' from the speakers. So, the dispersion is pretty good. I was really worried about the vertical dispersion as well because sometimes I listen to the speakers from the dining area which is 36" elevated from the living room. My worries have been put to rest :-)

Detail - This is the area where the tweeter shines the most. Although I have not done side by side comparison with Sierra-1 tweeter, I can say that I hear different tones and more details with ribbon. I cited an example of timeout SACD , the other track where I can discern the difference clearly is with track 'Asiatic Raes' from the Album 'Newks Time'. The attack is fast and the tweeter has airy quality to it. I listen to more Jazz, World music than Rock.The RAAL tweeter definately brings out more details in those 2 categories.

Dynamics - Overall I thought the Tower is more dynamic and the ribbon is very well integrated with the other drivers.

For everyone else, the mids are fantastic with the Tower. The vocals, Saxophone, Flute and other instruments totally disappear in front of you. THe Bass is punchy and very good for music unless you listen to pipe organ music :-)

I wonder if all of those thoughts would hold true with the Sierra-1 NrT.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I wonder if all of those thoughts would hold true with the Sierra-1 NrT.
    Most folks are very happy with their Towers with NRT tweeters. I was not trying to knock Sierra-1 tweeter as well here.. I think Sierra-1 is much better speaker pound for pound/dollar for dollar and have recommended them several times to friends.
    I think one member here got to hear both speakers at the same time and he preferred a few tracks on NRT and few tracks on RAAL. I thought for my musical taste RAAL would suite better, hence I ordered them :-)