Page 4 of 223 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 2227

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

  1. #31

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    I already told my wife what next years state tax refund is going to!! She was so overwhelmed with excitement, she replied...."Whatever". I'm taking that as a definite "OK".

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,867

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by ripcordaff View Post
    Wait, so you have two gloss blacks? The "True piano" and the "high gloss black", with the True piano costing a whopping $700 more?
    That is correct... High gloss black is not "piano" black -- the difference being that piano black is a mirror finish, such that it will reflect back nearly every detail just like a mirror. High gloss black does not have the same degree of reflectivity, reflected detail is somewhat blurry.

    A "Made in the USA" true piano black finish is nearly impossible to come by. It is extremely labor intensive and uses chemicals that require very specific environmental licensing, especially here in California. For example, I believe Salk charges $1400 for the option. The $700 additional fee we are charging has no added profit in it for us -- it simply covers the cost of the process and the additional handling required.

    It was also our desire to manufacture the speaker cabinets here in the USA.

    That being said, since piano black is a very popular finish and the $700 increase in price is hard to swallow, we are considering having our Sierra-1 cabinet maker produce piano black cabinets for us which will reduce the cost of this option dramatically. This will take several months though...
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    culver city, ca
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by ripcordaff View Post
    Wait, so you have two gloss blacks? The "True piano" and the "high gloss black", with the True piano costing a whopping $700 more?
    and it looks like two less glossy blacks as well. Very interesting. Can't wait to see pictures and get cost details for the various options.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Well I have them up and running and only had a little bit of time to listen. I wont get into details until I have some serious time with them. So far, very impressive. What jumped out at me from the first track was the imaging, detail and timbre accuracy, then male vocals.

    Dave....
    They arrived safely and the finish is superb!

    Stay tuned. I have all day tomorrow to do more tweaking and evaluations.

    So far I'm

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,867

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Dave....
    They arrived safely and the finish is superb!
    Thanks for the update, now I can breathe a bit easier

    Let me know how the packaging stood up to UPS and if the foam wrap fully protected the finish.

    Also, be sure to run them full range when you get the chance and let me know your thoughts on the bass response.

    I agree, the imaging and detail is fantastic and many others have commented on how well they reproduce vocals. Don't be afraid to turn them up
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thanks for the update, now I can breathe a bit easier

    Let me know how the packaging stood up to UPS and if the foam wrap fully protected the finish.

    Also, be sure to run them full range when you get the chance and let me know your thoughts on the bass response.

    I agree, the imaging and detail is fantastic and many others have commented on how well they reproduce vocals. Don't be afraid to turn them up
    No problem. Let me do a real thorough inspection of the finish tomorrow to make sure for you. Right now with my Parasound 2100 preamp they are running crossed over at 80Hz, my only option is this or full range. I will experiment with both, but will ultimately go with 80hz having the Rythmik doing the lows

    More feedback to come tomorrow!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,867

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    No problem. Let me do a real thorough inspection of the finish tomorrow to make sure for you. Right now with my Parasound 2100 preamp they are running crossed over at 80Hz, my only option is this or full range. I will experiment with both, but will ultimately go with 80hz having the Rythmik doing the lows

    More feedback to come tomorrow!
    If you are going to use the towers with the D15, I strongly recommend a lower crossover setting. The mid-bass and punch of the towers is excellent and I had better results integrating the towers with a Rythmik sub at 50Hz. For most music, I preferred the towers without a sub.

    Unlike the Sierra-1, because of the dedicated mid-woofer and it being in its own sealed enclosure within the cabinet, removing deep bass from the tower will not result in any noticeable improvement to the midrange.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    573

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    If you are going to use the towers with the D15, I strongly recommend a lower crossover setting. The mid-bass and punch of the towers is excellent and I had better results integrating the towers with a Rythmik sub at 50Hz. For most music, I preferred the towers without a sub.

    Unlike the Sierra-1, because of the dedicated mid-woofer and it being in its own sealed enclosure within the cabinet, removing deep bass from the tower will not result in any noticeable improvement to the midrange.
    Based on my only 2 options within my preamp for music, would you recommend full range then over 80hz? With movies, I can select 60hz through my yamaha receiver so that won't be an issue.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,269

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    I say full range, but try both.
    -curtis

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    culver city, ca
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    I think these towers are crying out for full range for music. I generally preferred my sierras full range (though do not have a Rythmik....yet) so I can only imagine how much better the towers will be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •