Page 270 of 271 FirstFirst ... 265266267268269270271 LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Yes, the ELX is the same cabinet. You'll need to check the woofer cut-out size - if it's a bit small, you will likely have to either sand around the cutout or (better) the drivers. Mine were ok. If memory serves correct, you'll need 156.4 mm diameter at a minimum. The instructions are really clear and there are some tips/tricks in this thread, as I recall.

Not sure what the current ELX upgrade cost is. I bought mine towards the end of last year at the introductory pricing. It was like $1000 per Tower (V1 to ELX upgrade, keeping the RAAL) and $1060 for the Horizon. Plus shipping. Total for all 3 speakers was like $3130. Worth every penny.
    It's $2198 plus shipping for the tower pair to go from Raal V1 to ELX Raal. My upgrade kits just shipped. Super excited.
    Last edited by natetg57; 08-13-2023 at 03:16 PM.
    Nate

Talking Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Considering how happy I've been with my original Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbons, if anything, I'll upgrade the crossovers only. Spending another $1,000++ isn't in my tower's future.
    Maybe, just maybe, if I wasn't shopping for a new AVR..... Lol!

I can only imagine how awesome the new Towers must be! But, If I cannot hear them, all is swell!

There always will be something bigger and better!
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 08-14-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    - Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Cajon View Post
    Considering how happy I've been with my original Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbons, if anything, I'll upgrade the crossovers only. Spending another $1,000++ isn't in my tower's future.

I can only imagine how awesome the new Towers must be! But, If I cannot hear them, all is swell!

I think upgrading the crossovers is a great option for you. Dave has said that it gets you about halfway to the ELX, so great value in that sense.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
    I noticed there is now a v2 of the towers, was curious what changed. Also saw talk of an upgrade kit a few pages back, was curious what is changed. Though I dunno if it will even be worth it though as I’m not sure I can imagine using the towers as surrounds, and I am quite sure eventually I will cave and order the ELX, though I’m super torn about which tweeters to go for (and of course same for upgrading my -2’s to EX or LX lol).

I am also curious how the two tweeters might sound together? Is the sound signature close enough that it won’t be an issue to for example use raal for mains and center if I ever add one, but the titans for the surrounds and eventual wides?

I love the raal for music and they do great with dialogue, but in a lot of ways I suspect the titan and lx are more suited to my main use which is HT especially given the midbass punch and subwoofer to cover the bottom end, I just dunno if I can sacrifice the clarity on the mains.

I also just dread the effort involved in shipping my current towers, but if I get ELX it would make no sense to keep them as I have no space or extra rooms to put them in. I guess if nothing else upgrading to v2 would make em easier to sell and probably help me delay buying ELX lol.
    Please be sure to read this thread. It contains all of the information you are looking for:

https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...-Best-For-Last!

Yes, the RAAL ribbons and the Titan dome tweeters do blend very well when used together.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

How can I be of assistance?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Anyone who has experienced Magnepan ribbon speakers(3.7i and up) how do they compare to Sierra tower RAAL
    I have listened to Sierra 2 and LRS+(quasi ribbon) and feel the treble sounds VERY nice and similar on both. But when thinking of upgrade i want to consider the big RAAL in towers and maggie ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    How can I be of assistance?

Morning Dave! I am definitely considering upgrading the crossovers in the next few months, and possibly the drivers on down the road.
    - Greg

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/ RAAL Ribbon (front) | Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE (rears) | Ascend Acoustics Duo (center) | Mirage Omni S10 10" Sub ||| Jolida JD302CRC 50wpc Integrated Tube Amp | Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable w/ Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e Tonearm, AudioQuest Wildcat Tonearm cable, Ortofon 2M Bronze MM Cart., Hagerman Labs Cornet3 Tube Phono Stage ||| Sony XBR65X81 CH 65" | Sony SA3100ES AVR | Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray | Oppo DV-980H CD

Morning Dave! I am definitely considering upgrading the crossovers in the next few months, and possibly the drivers on down the road.
    I would advise against that sequence of upgrades. If you swap crossovers with the current drivers, you will need to swap crossovers AGAIN when you swap drivers. Wasting your time and money that way. If swapping drivers is your end goal then just save up and do it all at once.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I would advise against that sequence of upgrades. If you swap crossovers with the current drivers, you will need to swap crossovers AGAIN when you swap drivers. Wasting your time and money that way. If swapping drivers is your end goal then just save up and do it all at once.
    I agree unless you really might be satisfied with just the crossover upgrade and not have FOMO. You're going from very good speakers to even better speakers. Dave has mentioned that the crossover upgrade gets you about halfway to the performance of the ELX, so an excellent value there.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I guess, I am confused. I thought once the new crossovers are installed, if I later wished to swap out to the new drivers, I would just remove the old drivers, and mount the new drivers, plugging those into the new crossover.
    - Greg