Page 256 of 271 FirstFirst ... 251252253254255256257258259260261 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Thank you, I guess it’s a new receiver for my stepdad then. What receivers have Audyssey tho? The one he’s using is too old for that plus it doesn’t have HDMI either.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-12-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    Thank you, I guess it’s a new receiver for my stepdad then. What receivers have Audyssey tho?
    Denon and Marantz. Probably some others. Just make sure to get one that has Audyssey XT32 and not just XT.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I think you want the 8033 model if you’re going to be using it for your subs. But EQ’ing without proper time alignment still won’t get you where you want to be. You need to time align so in the crossover range your subs and speakers aren’t cancelling each other out. If you have a receiver with Audyssey for example that can do everything for you (set proper delays and EQ).
    yes, the 8033 model is simpler for subs but the dual looks like it can be used to correct speakers (and subs, if have) or just subs so a bit more versatile. Still leaves the time alignment issue, though, as best I can tell with the device. Although maybe able to account for this depending on what contols available on the sub.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 02-12-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    yes, the 8033 model is simpler for subs but the dual looks like it can be used to correct speakers (and subs, if have) or just subs so a bit more versatile. Still leaves the time alignment issue, though, as best I can tell with the device. Although maybe able to account for this depending on what contols available on the sub.
    I may just be missing how the dual works, but it seems it would take full range input and provide full range output with some correction filters applied.

Besides not being able to set proper phase/time alignment, I don’t see how it could properly even set up the crossover slopes for the subs and speakers so they blend together properly.

I've not studied the manual or connection diagrams in detail, but it looks like one would use the crossovers already on the subs (and likely can use the phase, as well, to dial in with mains).

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Denon and Marantz. Probably some others. Just make sure to get one that has Audyssey XT32 and not just XT.
    Or look for a receiver with Dirac (which is one of the best REQ) or an Anthem MRX (model depending on number of need channels -- if strictly stereo, MRX5xx series. May be able to pick up a MRX520 on clearance or even used since Anthem just introduced new models). Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is also better than Audyssey and, apparently, almost as good as Dirac)

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I've not studied the manual or connection diagrams in detail, but it looks like one would use the crossovers already on the subs (and likely can use the phase, as well, to dial in with mains).
    That still leaves the missing high pass filter used for the speaker for the crossover integration with the sub. Minidsp 2x4hd would be best if one is looking to split a full range signal to the speakers and subs.

Left and right channel into inputs 1 and 2. Outputs 1 and 3 with high pass filter for speakers. Outputs 2 and 4 with low pass filter for subs. Basically designing an active crossover.

Or a receiver with bass management would do that.

Dirac and ARC I hear are nice but are also much more involved than Audyssey. For someone who doesn’t want to get into the weeds of calibration, I think Audyssey is the simplest solution,

I have an Emotiva UMC-1 pre-amp/processor that I didn’t think about, that I’m not using. I wonder if it can make the necessary corrections. I know it can EQ the sub, but I’m unsure about otherwise.

I lost the mic awhile back, I hope that doesn’t matter too much. My stepdad only has 2.1 stereo so I can’t see the lack of a mic being a problem.

The UMC-1 should be able to take care of the necessary corrections come to think of it, even without a mic.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-13-2021 at 01:34 AM.

My previous speakers were PMC OB1 (transmission line) and Paradigm Active 40v2 (flat to ~34Hz). I guess I'm simply used to full range speakers than can reach down into the mid 30Hz range. The bass on the Towers is 'lite' imho. For my preferences, a good quality subwoofer is necessary to fill in the low end and provide 'presence' to sounds.

Dave - My room is roughly 15'x15'. Speakers are 2.5ft from the rear wall. My listening seat is ~2ft from the rear wall. I previously had a pair of Alta Rhea in this room. What this probably comes down to is I'm used to really visceral bass from full range systems. I _NEED_ to have a system that can provide oomph in the low end that allows you to feel the music. I had previously used REL subs for the last ~10 years or so and switched to a Rythmik F12 last year.

Edit: It would be sweet if I could get a pair of the RAAL Towers with external crossovers that have dual sets of RCA outputs so I can feed a pair of amplifiers after the signal has been filtered for the woofers and mid/tweeter. This would hopefully produce a more 'dynamic' sound as less power would be lost due to the x-over. And yes, I'd be willing to pay for a custom configuration.
    Last edited by jeenam; 02-12-2021 at 09:00 PM.

jeenam - why not use a stand-alone mini-crossover like the miniDSP?