Page 253 of 271 FirstFirst ... 248249250251252253254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Agree - a budget and desired features would be very helpful.

Stay away from Emotiva processors - buggy as hell, slow firmware updates that generally break something else, nothing is ever a problem with their equipment, and the owner/president is unethical.

If you plan to upgrade your analog rig, do you currently have a phono prepro? If not, are you looking at a stand-alone phono or want something integrated with amp/processor/AVR?

Out of curiosity, what turntable are you using now and what are you thinking of getting?
    The most immediate and what I thought would be the most important upgrade to my system will be the Sierra Towers with RAAL. I will be purchasing them within the next couple of months given no major financial setbacks.

I planned on using them with my current Denon AVR-X3400h until I figure out the direction I want to go for music. I am still learning about 2 Channel sound and what my options are.

I have a very basic turntable setup. A coworker gave me a Technics SL-Q2 for free so I’ve been using that. I’m interested in upgrading to the newer Technics 1200GR or 1200G model.

My phono preamp is a MyGROOV by Micromega. I am looking to upgrade my phono stage and right now I have my eye on the Parks Audio Puffin.

Other parts of a system that I do not have and am curious about:

Subwoofer
    DAC for streaming.
    Processor for room correction.

Financially, I have to take this step-by-step. From what I’ve read they say the speakers are the most important part of a setup. Starting by upgrading to the Towers seems like the best first step to me.
    Last edited by markgoebel; 02-02-2021 at 06:31 AM.

Yes, speakers are the most important upgrade.

Technics are nice tables. You may also want to check out VPI, as well. Great customer service. I've heard good things about the Puffin. What about cartridge? I like Soundsmith, VAS, Denon, and AT ARTs. I've run the Denon before, a Soundsmith Carmen, now a VAS Nova, and have a new Soundsmith Paua when time to have the VAS retipped. What's really good about Soundsmith is they'll retip/rebuild for a fraction of the new price (generally around 15%) -- like getting two cartridges for price of 1.

As to subs, Rythmik are excellent for music and HT. I run 2 E15's in my system.

You should also consider room treatments (if possible) as room correction. Maybe even before a new processor for room correction.

As to processor/room correction, DIRAC or Arc (Anthem) are really good RC systems. Trinnov is apparently a step above, but big bucks.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 02-02-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Yes, speakers are the most important upgrade.

Technics are nice tables. You may also want to check out VPI, as well. Great customer service. I've heard good things about the Puffin. What about cartridge? I like Soundsmith, VAS, Denon, and AT ARTs. I've run the Denon before, a Soundsmith Carmen, now a VAS Nova, and have a new Soundsmith Paua when time to have the VAS retipped. What's really good about Soundsmith is they'll retip/rebuild for a fraction of the new price (generally around 15%) -- like getting two cartridges for price of 1.

As to subs, Rythmik are excellent for music and HT. I run 2 E15's in my system.

You should also consider room treatments (if possible) as room correction. Maybe even before a new processor for room correction.

As to processor/room correction, DIRAC or Arc (Anthem) are really good RC systems. Trinnov is apparently a step above, but big bucks.
    - I will look into the VPI. I tend to lead towards Technics due to the convenience of direct drive and not to mention I simply trust how they’re built. This thing I have no is a tank and it only cost $250 at time of production? I imagine the quality of their top-tier is outstanding.

- I’m currently using a Audio-Technica VM540ML cartridge. Runs about $300 and is the perfect match for my turntable. I’ve been very happy with it. I will look into the brands and models you recommended.

- You’re not the first person to recommend me a Rythmik subwoofer. I’m thinking that the Sierra Towers and a single Rythmik sub will be the perfect starting point. I bet I’ll hear the sound quality go up by just those two upgrades alone.

Quote Originally Posted by markgoebel View Post
    -

- You’re not the first person to recommend me a Rythmik subwoofer. I’m thinking that the Sierra Towers and a single Rythmik sub will be the perfect starting point. I bet I’ll hear the sound quality go up by just those two upgrades alone.
    I think so, too.

I think so, too.
    Looking at the Rythmik subwoofer page. How do I pick the right subwoofer for my space? Should I be shopping for the space I current have or should I keep in mind that I will eventually get a bigger space. Don’t want to spend $1200+ on a subwoofer that won’t fill my next spot. Perhaps it’s smarter to buy something you’ll grow with? Also how to distinguish between the ported and sealed models. I’ve never owned a subwoofer before, so forgive my newbie questions.

I would suggest sizing for the future (eg bigger space). That said, depending on how big you may wind up with multiple subs. Also, bigger subs obviously take up more space so you may want to consider placement options, looks in your room, etc. (aka WAF = wife (or significant other) acceptance factor :-) ).

With Rythmik, ported generally have a "V" in the name eg FV15) whereas sealed won't (eg F15).

In past (and perhaps with other brands), general rule of thumb -- sealed for music, ported for HT. With Rythmik, others have posted that the ported subs are also excellent for music (due to the servo technology).

You can also look at the Rythmik website for more information than what's on Ascend's site.

I suggest calling (or emailing) Dave/Dina to further discuss subs or try Brian/Enrico at Rythmik. In either case, you'll get great customer service.

I went with the E15's (sealed) as I'm mostly music (!98%) and the size (my acceptance factor). I started with one and later added a 2nd to help smooth out bass in my room (16x12x11, but open to dining room in rear (16x12) and den on one side (~24x20)...very big space. I was happy with the bass with one, two is even better :-)
    Last edited by racrawford65; 02-03-2021 at 09:10 AM.

I will be getting a pair of E15HP2's tomorrow. I won't be able to set them up for a few days because I'll be working. In the meantime, possibly someone will have a similar setup as mine.

In a 3300 sq. ft. room I have an integrated amp, Yamaha A-S2200, that features left and right pre-outs for the subs. The speakers are Ascend Acoustics Towers with RAAL. I'll use REW eventually.

Any tips on subwoofer settings?

Nice integrated amp.
    Where will you be placing your subs? Will you be using a miniDSP with the subs?

Depending on sub placement (eg on front wall on either side of the Towers, you can probably run two cables, one to left sub and one to right sub, from the integrated preouts. If you add/have a miniDSP, I'd use a y splitter to combine the two channels at the integrated, then into miniDSP input, and then individual cables to each sub.

As to settings on the sub, since I'm assuming your setup is predominantly music and subs will next to the Towers on front wall, use the line in on the sub amps. W/O miniDSP, crossover on sub amp at 80, phase at 0, PEQ off (unless you need it to smooth bass), 50/24 line in low pass, rumble filter off (unless you play alot of vinyl, then you should set this to on), extension filter 14 hz, hi damping (is what I use on mine - mostly music).

See the quick guide on Rythmik's site for their recommended settings for which amp is on your sub. It's under the amplifier & driver section, 2nd paragraph.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/E15.html

Wow that is some great help! Thanks so much!

The subs I am hoping will sound fine next to the towers, toed in at 8 feet from listening position. I’ll eventually explore minidsp. I have it also for 98% music!

should be fine next to the towers. I have my subs about 2' from the side wall and about 1 foot from the back (bass traps behind the subs, in corners, and on side walls). My Towers are essentially in front of the subs.