Page 252 of 271 FirstFirst ... 247248249250251252253254255256257 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by msound View Post
    @markgoebel

Seriously do invest in a quality power amp as you will keep it for a loooong time. Buy once cry once. I would also tell you to buy a processor with Dirac too. Dirac is like a drug. Once you get a taste of it you'll never can be without it. I have an Emotiva XMC-2, Raal Towers, Classe CT-5300, Rythmik f18 and CXC transport. My music is absolutely amazing(I'm currently listening as I type . It absolutely heaven for my ears seriously(I'm not bragging).
    Agree with the suggestion to invest in a quality amp, especially for 2 channel/music. Quality preamp (either incorporated into an AVR or stand-alone) will also add to your system for music.

As an alternate to Dirac, Anthem's room correction (proprietary) is excellent. I've not used Dirac, but some in other threads I follow think the Anthem RC is almost as - or as - good as Dirac. With Anthem's introduction of new models recently, likely to be some used processors (AVM60) or receivers (MRX x20) for sale at good prices (check usaudiomart.com).

I知 open to recommendations on amp/pre-amp combos that would recommend the Sierra Towers

Quote Originally Posted by markgoebel View Post
    I’m open to recommendations on amp/pre-amp combos that would recommend the Sierra Towers
    There are so many worthwhile products and combinations. You need to decide on features you want/need.

I currently use an Anthem pre/pro with it's room correction capabilities, and in the past I have used a product with Dirac. For me, it would be hard to ever have a system without room correction capabilities. I would also suggest you research room correction in general, so you understand different approaches. ie. I correct below 400hz in my setup, not the whole spectrum.

If I were doing a strictly two-channel system, the two companies I would be looking at, off the type of my head, would be NAD (they use Dirac), and Anthem (they use their proprietary room correction, ARC/Genesis).

Would this be for 2-channel, or home theater/multi-channel?
    Last edited by curtis; 02-01-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    -curtis

I'm using a lowly avr (Marantz SR6011) for my pre and a Monolith 7 separate amplifier. Super clean, plenty of power. Plus Audyssey XT32 works very well as room correction. I measured a very significant improvement in my fr after running setup. I also have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD for dialing in my subs. I think a guy can get away without the mini but it did help me make even more improvements.

I'm in the camp of, if there's sufficient power to drive your speakers then generally you're good to go. Most manufacturers now produce very transparent electronics, with a lot of the measured differences falling outside the realm of human hearing anyway.

If it is 2 channel + HT in one system (which is what I'm assuming based on your earlier 70/30 music/movies input), and you want a stand-alone 2 channel preamp, make sure it has a HT bypass so that you can use same speakers/amp for music & movies. One of the reasons I went with the Rogue RP-5.

I second Curtis' recommendation to take a look at Anthem. I am currently using their MRX720 primarily as a preamp (primarily as I've recently started using the Anthem's on board amps for Center and surrounds) with a Rogue Atlas Magnum II for front left/right (and a VTV 4-channel Pascal amp for ATMOS heights). Will keep the Anthem MRX720 in the system for HT but use the stand-alone for music (primarily vinyl) - at least for now as I'm eyeing the AVM70 ;-)

I致e been listening to much more music than I have been watching films lately. There has been a focus on vinyl and HiFi streaming with Tidal. I am upgrading my turntable by the end of the year as well. I知 seeking a musical experience that can really pull me in and give me goosebumps. If I can achieve that without compromise, then I am interested in hearing 50/50 music movie recommendations that won稚 cause either to suffer.

However, if I can get more of the musical experience I知 looking for by moving away from an AVR receiver and into something that is a dedicated 2-Channel listening experience, I知 totally okay with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by markgoebel View Post
    I知 open to recommendations on amp/pre-amp combos that would recommend the Sierra Towers
    I have used Anthem ARC (room correction) and it is not as good as Dirac imo. However ARC is still very good.

For amp I would go with Parasound. It's one of those go to brands for amps. As they are pretty affordable when it comes to what you get.

For processor it would heavily depends on your budget. Emotiva processors give you top notch sound quality for the price. If you don't need Atmos the Emotiva XMC-1 can be had at around $1k used. One issue with Emotiva processors are they are some what buggy with their firmwares. I know what to expect so I am not bothered by it.

Monoprice HTP-1 is another alternative but it cost around $4k. They have b-stock for a bit cheaper some times. I have never own one but from what I have read they are about the same sound quality compared to the XMC-2.

If you want cheaper then look for receivers with Dirac. Look up the brand Nad. They have some that goes for about $600 only on the use market. I have had a few Nads, but the sound quality was good but not up to Emotiva's xmc line.

You really need to set your budget and needs. If you ask any one of us to spend your money, you will get all kinds of suggestions to help you part with your cash.

I use my system for everything. Set up in my living room for anything from TV watching to critical listening, and everything in-between. I have a 5.1 system, and have Atmos in the back of my head, but won't expand until we buy and move into a new house sometime later this year. Most of my music listening, if not all nowadays, is done with Tidal/Qobuz, with some of my own library, via Roon.

It was important that my system do everything well, and it does. I am fortunate enough that can setup the speakers/sub in good positions in my room, which is really a big deal and is something you should not overlook.

I use an Anthem AVM60, with an old ATI 1505 amp(a tank, still sounds great. I want to upgrade, but can't justify it right now), Sierra-2's upfront, and HTM-200SE's for surrounds.

I love my system, but I have also spent a lot of time in Ascend's demo room, so I know what I can upgrade to, but first is getting into a new house.

FWIW, Ascend uses a Rotel pre/pro and ADA PTM-6150 amp in their demo room.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by msound View Post
    I have used Anthem ARC (room correction) and it is not as good as Dirac imo. However ARC is still very good.

For amp I would go with Parasound. It's one of those go to brands for amps. As they are pretty affordable when it comes to what you get.

For processor it would heavily depends on your budget. Emotiva processors give you top notch sound quality for the price. If you don't need Atmos the Emotiva XMC-1 can be had at around $1k used. One issue with Emotiva processors are they are some what buggy with their firmwares. I know what to expect so I am not bothered by it.

Monoprice HTP-1 is another alternative but it cost around $4k. They have b-stock for a bit cheaper some times. I have never own one but from what I have read they are about the same sound quality compared to the XMC-2.

If you want cheaper then look for receivers with Dirac. Look up the brand Nad. They have some that goes for about $600 only on the use market. I have had a few Nads, but the sound quality was good but not up to Emotiva's xmc line.
    My experience between Dirac and ARC/Genesis isn't as definitive.

From personal experience, I would stay away from Emotiva processors. PM me if you want more information on my opinion.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-01-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    -curtis

Agree - a budget and desired features would be very helpful.

Stay away from Emotiva processors - buggy as hell, slow firmware updates that generally break something else, nothing is ever a problem with their equipment, and the owner/president is unethical.

If you plan to upgrade your analog rig, do you currently have a phono prepro? If not, are you looking at a stand-alone phono or want something integrated with amp/processor/AVR?

Out of curiosity, what turntable are you using now and what are you thinking of getting?