Page 231 of 271 FirstFirst ... 226227228229230231232233234235236 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Mine came Tuesday - haven't had as much time with them as I would have liked yet - but having a ton of fun re-experiencing my music collection. Now I need the Horizon cabinets to come in to complete the trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by msound View Post
    I had a few days of free time and decided instead of reading a book, to read through 230 pages of this tower thread! Lol Great read. In all honesty, I did skipped some here and there. But I think I got all of Dave's post though . Just trying to get ready for my towers coming on Friday .
    What were your big take-aways? Anything specific to setup or something that stuck in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
    What were your big take-aways? Anything specific to setup or something that stuck in your mind?
    I really just did it for the entertainment more than anything. The most interesting thing for me was how Dave help designed the Sierra 2's Raal ribbon tweeters. Before that there weren't any affordable ribbons. Raal also gave Dave the possibility to use it exclusively, but he needed to be able to meet quota. Dave decided not to as it was a big risk. But thanks to him, other companies are now using the OEM version of his ribbon tweeters.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

I really just did it for the entertainment more than anything. The most interesting thing for me was how Dave help designed the Sierra 2's Raal ribbon tweeters. Before that there weren't any affordable ribbons. Raal also gave Dave the possibility to use it exclusively, but he needed to be able to meet quota. Dave decided not to as it was a big risk. But thanks to him, other companies are now using the OEM version of his ribbon tweeters.
    Interesting!

Just got my towers in yesterday. Quick impression when comparing to the Sierra 2s, I can tell the mid range is a little clearer and fuller. Also the towers images better. It locks down the singer center better than the bookshelf. But honestly the bookshelf is not that far off. No shame in owning the Sierras 2s. I would say the towers are about 10-15% better with a sub. But without a sub it's another story. Exactly what I expected. Right now I'm listening to music set to full range to break in the towers a bit before I run Anthem Genesis in a week or two. Honestly I'm listening to music right now and it sounds so sweet. The new magnetic speaker grills are nice! I like the size too. Big enough to give good performance but not too big as some towers and be an eyesore. My end game speakers....for a decade. Thanks Dave for making an absolutely stunning speaker at a great price point! I have never felt so good spending 3k on something, ever. Without Ascend Acoustics I would be lost in this hobby
    Last edited by msound; 10-12-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

Just got my towers in yesterday. Quick impression when comparing to the Sierra 2s, I can tell the mid range is a little clearer and fuller. Also the towers images better. It locks down the singer center better than the bookshelf. But honestly the bookshelf is not that far off. No shame in owning the Sierras 2s. I would say the towers are about 10-15% better with a sub. But without a sub it's another story. Exactly what I expected. Right now I'm listening to music set to full range to break in the towers a bit before I run Anthem Genesis in a week or two. Honestly I'm listening to music right now and it sounds so sweet. The new magnetic speaker grills are nice! I like the size too. Big enough to give good performance but not too big as some towers and be an eyesore. My end game speakers....for a decade. Thanks Dave for making an absolutely stunning speaker at a great price point! I have never felt so good spending 3k on something, ever. Without Ascend Acoustics I would be lost in this hobby
    Any chance you could post some pics of your setup? Would love to see how the towers look without the grill holes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    Any chance you could post some pics of your setup? Would love to see how the towers look without the grill holes.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Ki58GdHLwXhGzue9

I will add more photos of my entire setup once it's done in a week or two.

my Sierra Towers with RAAL are coming this week, but I haven’t solved the power question. i know that at 92db, the towers are efficient and the specs say 25 WPC is the minimum, but in the forum’s opinion, what does it take to drive them with authority? I am not talking ear-splitting SPL, I’m taking about having enough reserves to reproduce music at healthy levels.

The audiolab 6000A is a interesting budget option but it’s only 50/75W into 8/4ohms. However, it has a switch that lets it change from an integrated to just a preamp, or just an amplifier...so I could add a separate amp. The Monoprice monolith 2 channel is essentially an rebadged ATI AT1800, and has very good specs, 200/300W into 8/4ohms and is right at $1000, which is the neighborhood I want to try and stay in.

I am also considering a PS Audio gain dell dac / S300 combo. That would give me 140/300W into 8/4 ohms...as well as the peachtree Nova150 which is 150/250W into 8/4 ohms.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or recommendations to share? Is there anyone who feels their amount of power is holding the performance back, and if so...how much do you have?

Thanks to all...
    Last edited by drandall; 10-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drandall View Post
    my Sierra Towers with RAAL are coming this week, but I haven’t solved the power question. i know that at 92db, the towers are efficient and the specs say 25 WPC is the minimum, but in the forum’s opinion, what does it take to drive them with authority? I am not talking ear-splitting SPL, I’m taking about having enough reserves to reproduce music at healthy levels.

The audiolab 6000A is a interesting budget option but it’s only 50/75W into 8/4ohms. However, it has a switch that lets it change from an integrated to just a preamp, or just an amplifier...so I could add a separate amp. The Monoprice monolith 2 channel is essentially an rebadged ATI AT1800, and has very good specs, 200/300W into 8/4ohms and is right at $1000, which is the neighborhood I want to try and stay in.

I am also considering a PS Audio gain dell dac / S300 combo. That would give me 140/300W into 8/4 ohms...as well as the peachtree Nova150 which is 150/250W into 8/4 ohms.

Does anyone have any thoughts, advice or recommendations to share? Is there anyone who feels their amount of power is holding the performance back, and if so...how much do you have?

Thanks to all...
    First off, congratulations! Get the most high quality power you can afford. Amps and speakers are worth going over budget for . It's a worthy investment. Amps are not like most components that you replaced every few years. They last for a long long time. I bought my workhorse Parasound amp about 6 years ago and it's still around working hard and making my speakers sing to their highest level everyday.
    Last edited by msound; 10-13-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Going to echo @msound here: Congrats! I am saving up to get the towers! (currently have Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R in 5.1 system).

I would go with a separate amp, IMHO and FWIW. I went from a "high-end" Pioneer integrated receiver to a Marantz Pre/Pro and a D-Sonic amp...from what was probably exaggerated at 135 W/ch to an understated 400 W/ch (into 8 ohms). (FWIW, I was looking into a crowded $/W market at around 200 W/ch, which is probably "enough" power, then stumbled on D-Sonic)

Immediately the dynamics really opened up...it's like the amp doesn't have to "work" to produce those momentary surges in power that occur naturally from the music...the power is just "there". And, I am talking about "reasonable" listening levels...I like music a bit louder sometimes, while my wife (who has much better hearing, mine probably damaged by years in high-SPL environments) sometimes complains about my chosen volume level for 2-ch music as well as 5.1 movies...

I was really happy with my Pioneer integrated amp, but I don't have a lot of experience with equipment...have been seeking the best-for-my-budget for 30+ years, but wow...the difference with "too much power" is ...well, "musical".

So, one more opinion among many, but I would definitely go for the outboard amp, as what you are looking at will most certainly give you "clean" and fully dynamic amplification, better than any integrated receiver.

Whichever path you choose...good luck and enjoy! Your enjoyment is the most important ingredient!
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820