Page 227 of 271 FirstFirst ... 222223224225226227228229230231232 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Well, I don't have the HINT, but I've been running Parasound and Ascend together for almost a decade.

When I had my Sierra 1s, I used a Parasound PHP-850 Pre-amp and a HCA-2200 amp. Loved the sound of this combo, but when I got my Sierra RAAL Towers I wanted to modernize and upgrade, so I went with the new P6 Pre-amp and a NewClassic Model 2250v2 amp.

Amazing sounds and tons of power. Accurate, detailed, great vocals and soundstage. Sounds good with everything from Tori Amos to ZZ Top. My two channel stereo is hooked to up to my TV, and Blu-ray movies sound incredible.

So yeah, I would say you will be in good shape with Parasound and Ascend.

I use a Parasound P5 pre I picked up for nearly 1/2 off msrp due to the P6 replacing it, connected to my ADCOM GFA-5500 amp driving my Sierra-2's. The combo ROCKS! The dual analog HI & LOW pass filters in the P5 are fantastic at integrating my Rythmik sub in a 2.1 configuration.

I'll 2nd the thumbs up for Parasound even though I do not use one of their amps.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I use a Parasound P5 pre I picked up for nearly 1/2 off msrp due to the P6 replacing it, connected to my ADCOM GFA-5500 amp driving my Sierra-2's. The combo ROCKS! The dual analog HI & LOW pass filters in the P5 are fantastic at integrating my Rythmik sub in a 2.1 configuration.

I'll 2nd the thumbs up for Parasound even though I do not use one of their amps.
    I know there is an A21 on sale from a reputed dealer in Socal for less than half price as its used for their demo. I cannot post a link here but I can send their contact details if your interested.

I own the A21 and the p5 and its sweet.

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by VitalogX View Post
    I know there is an A21 on sale from a reputed dealer in Socal for less than half price as its used for their demo. I cannot post a link here but I can send their contact details if your interested.

I own the A21 and the p5 and its sweet.

Aj
    I appreciate the thought, but although the Adcom is an older amp, It holds its own against some pretty heady competition. It's actually a Nelson Pass design.

Stealing this from the manual:

"Power Rating (To FTC Requirements)
    200 watts continuous average power per channel into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20Hz to 20kHz
    with all channels driven at less than 0.18% THD
    350 watts continuous average power per channel into 4 ohms at any frequency between 20Hz to 20kHz

It has 80,000 uF of power supply filter capacitance"......lots of reserve capacity.

It ain't sexy, but it's a beast!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Hi Mag_Neato,

Nelson PASS and John CURL sure are renowned designers.

👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I appreciate the thought, but although the Adcom is an older amp, It holds its own against some pretty heady competition. It's actually a Nelson Pass design.

Stealing this from the manual:

"Power Rating (To FTC Requirements)
    200 watts continuous average power per channel into 8 ohms at any frequency between 20Hz to 20kHz
    350 watts continuous average power per channel into 4 ohms at any frequency between 20Hz to 20kHz

It has 80,000 uF of power supply filter capacitance"......lots of reserve capacity.

It ain't sexy, but it's a beast!

Hi Everyone,

I recently learnt about Ascend Acoustics and about the great speakers that is coming out of Ascend.

I currently own a pair of Polk RTi A9.
    My main use has been music 90% of the time and they do sound ok playing vinyl powered by P5 and A21 from Parasound. Yet I have noticed that High-Res audio is a lot better with tons of detail on my headphones.

I recently been considering Polk LSiM and KEF R line towers and even the LS50 as I really liked the R500 /700 from KEF during a past audition.

I quickly learned from forums all over that the Sierra 2 out perform the LS50 in every aspect.

Can anyone share their input about the Sierra towers as to how they compare to the Kef R line.
    I do believe the RAAL tweeters are definitely worth the upgrade but I would like to find out where the Sierra towers stand with the ntr domes in comparison to the R700 / R500.

Edit: Even if I’m comparing commercial colored speakers to high performance speakers which the Sierra Towers are, I curious if the RAAL makes em great or they already a great speaker even without the RAAL.

I live in the twin cities, and an audition is not going to be easy.

Aj
    Last edited by VitalogX; 03-26-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VitalogX View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I recently learnt about Ascend Acoustics and about the great speakers that is coming out of Ascend.

I currently own a pair of Polk RTi A9.
    My main use has been music 90% of the time and they do sound ok playing vinyl powered by P5 and A21 from Parasound. Yet I have noticed that High-Res audio is a lot better with tons of detail on my headphones.

I recently been considering Polk LSiM and KEF R line towers and even the LS50 as I really liked the R500 /700 from KEF during a past audition.

I quickly learned from forums all over that the Sierra 2 out perform the LS50 in every aspect.

Can anyone share their input about the Sierra towers as to how they compare to the Kef R line.
    I do believe the RAAL tweeters are definitely worth the upgrade but I would like to find out where the Sierra towers stand with the ntr domes in comparison to the R700 / R500.

Edit: Even if IÂ’m comparing commercial colored speakers to high performance speakers which the Sierra Towers are, I curious if the RAAL makes em great or they already a great speaker even without the RAAL.

I live in the twin cities, and an audition is not going to be easy.

Aj
    Yes....John Curl and Nelson Pass have been known to make some nice stuff!

I have not heard the Sierra tower with either tweeter, but I have had both in my Sierra-1's/-2's as I upgraded from the standard Sierra-1 to the NrT, then again to the Sierra-2 w/RAAL.

The differences from NrT to RAAL were fairly significant in my experience, but not necessarily "Better" depending on your listening preferences. The NrT version may be better for sheer output and "rocking out", where the RAAL presents a more "Real" true to life sound, if that makes sense. Maybe the tower versions are different, but since the Sierra-1 & -2 use different woofers as well as the tweeters there may be more of a difference. Again, I have never heard the tower versions so I can't say as fact.

The NrT's have incredible output and do not roll off at the top end. They produce lots of energy across their operating bandwidth. If you like a sharp sound with a slightly forward midrange and the slam of the standard Sierra-1 woofer, this is a great option.

The RAAL with new woofer gives a super balanced sound that is more "real" sounding, less like a transducer making the sound. Hard to describe. You really have to experience it to "Get" it. The ribbon gives you all the detail and clarity without the distortion brightness/harshness of highly detailed metal domes. It's only moving mass is the thin incredibly lightweight foil element, so it can start/stop in a nano-second and has near zero overhang.

If you can even audition a pair of Sierra-2's that will give you the basic flavor of the towers. You could order a pair of -2's to in-home trial and return shipping will be much less than the towers.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the nice detailed explanation.
    Wow, I’m glad to hear about the sheer output as you describe coming out of the ntr domes.
    They should sound powerful.

I’m now compelled to experience the RAAL integration.
    Home auditioning the Sierra 2s would be a great idea.

Aj

Plus the distortion value of 0.18% is only when the amp is operating at full power.

It’s going to be much less when it does optimum listening levels.

Aj

I'm eyeing the towers for a next-year purchase but I'd also like to upgrade my S1s (stock tweeter). Given that, two questions:

1) If I get the towers with the NrT tweeters and then later choose to upgrade them to the RAAL--is that a drop-in option I can do myself, or do the towers need to be returned to be upgraded?

2) If I can upgrade the tower tweeters myself, can the NrT tweeters from the towers then be dropped-in to the Sierra 1? Or are the crossovers completely different than what I'd need?

Thanks in advance!