Page 213 of 271 FirstFirst ... 208209210211212213214215216217218 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Wow, that's pretty weird. I always hate when something gets fixed but I don't know how or why. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by GunmetalR56 View Post
    I had the PSA 210s and compared them to the Sierra tower NrT (and RAAL). For me it really seemed like the 2 speakers were targeting different markets. The PSA were all about super high efficiency, high volume home theater. The Sierra tower struck me as the more musical speaker in that it sounded more complete and the mid-range was more present. I could listen to the Sierra for a much longer period without fatigue.

I think the Sierra towers do a fantastic job at HT. Soundtracks really stand out and they can get very loud...louder than I would ever want to take them.

If you want any particular details between the two I'll be happy to try and answer.
    So did you prefer both the NRT and the RAAL tower of the PSA 210? Would you say that the only advantage for the PSA was that they could play at louder volumes than you would ever use? How did you feel about the high frequencies between them?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    So did you prefer both the NRT and the RAAL tower of the PSA 210? Would you say that the only advantage for the PSA was that they could play at louder volumes than you would ever use? How did you feel about the high frequencies between them?
    I did prefer both NrT and RAAL to the PSA and I would say, for me, the only advantage to the PSA was the price and ability to play insanely loud.

Regarding the higher frequencies, I felt the Sierra were more articulate and the details stood out more. The PSA actually hurt my ears (my wife said the same).

I have a friend who runs Klipsch Reference + Ref II and he did not mind the PSA high end and in fact he really liked them. He liked the Sierras more however.. both tweeter configs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    As someone who has mild tinnitus, every time I see a horn loaded tweeter I want to run for the hills. All of those reflections just make the treble sound so harsh and overly zingy, and super loud speakers can make my ears hurt during passages I didn't expect to be very dynamic, because they start shouting at you pretty quickly, especially if you have a good amp.

The Sierras are always clear, detailed, and thrilling at any volume. When I crank movies up to the highest levels, which I actually really love doing, they never bother me, they enthrall me. I could not say that about my Klipsch speakers. There was always something I wanted to change, something that would pull me out of the movie and make me want to upgrade my system. The only thing I want to upgrade now is getting some Luna's for surrounds and upgrading to 7.2 and 7.2.4 over the next several years.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Exactly. I also have tinnitus and the RAAL are fantastic for me. I'm swapping out my 170s for ribbon surrounds for this very reason.

Still debating S2 or Luna for that.. can't make up my mind.
    Last edited by GunmetalR56; 02-16-2017 at 07:25 AM.

I did prefer both NrT and RAAL to the PSA and I would say, for me, the only advantage to the PSA was the price and ability to play insanely loud.

Regarding the higher frequencies, I felt the Sierra were more articulate and the details stood out more. The PSA actually hurt my ears (my wife said the same).

I have a friend who runs Klipsch Reference + Ref II and he did not mind the PSA high end and in fact he really liked them. He liked the Sierras more however.. both tweeter configs.
    I had a couple of folks come over to audition
    my Ascends. Both expressed thoroughly enjoying and surprised how well the Sierras imaged with pin point accuracy plus depth of soundstage but opted to go with the RF 7ii since both were
    Building HT....It wasn't a total loss as one of the guys wound up buying and walking away with my previous Funk sub.
    Last edited by billy p; 02-16-2017 at 08:24 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

One of my quality tests for speakers is the ability to play incredibly loudly (dangerously loud) without my ears hurting. It just sounds better and better. It speaks to lack of distortion and the quality of treble. Sierra speakers definitely pass in this one. It's actually dangerous. I know I can crank up the volumes that violate OSHA standards without ear pain or fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    but opted to go with the RF 7ii since both were Building HT....
    I have no idea why people go this route. The dynamics of Klipsch speakers are not any better, they're just shouty and harsh. Why would you give up a wide soundstage with incredible imaging for harsh, shouty, sound with a narrow soundstage? Just because it gets physically louder with a crappy receiver? The mind, it boggles.

Glad they at least enjoyed it and you got to sell a sub, though.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Thanks for the info. It's amazing how the Sierras are more detailed but also less bright and harsh. I feel the same about my Sierra-2s.

I am hoping to buy a pair of Sierra Towers with the RAAL 70-20 tweeter based on excellent reviews I have read on this forum. However, I could not find information on the manufacturer of the midrange woofer or woofers. Do any of the forum members know the manufacturer or manufacturers of these drivers. Thanks in advance for any help.