Page 212 of 271 FirstFirst ... 207208209210211212213214215216217 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
    You may want to check if the speaker is out of phase (polarity). It could be that at the shop they swap the speaker terminal caps. You can check if the speaker is out of phase with a free app for iOS or Android or just invert speaker cables at the speaker end. In my Sierra Towers and Sierra 2s the Positive (red) terminal is on the right side of the speaker looking from the back.

Check for AudioTools app
    Not possible due to the way we test (we test for polarity). This is a strange one but we have been in contact with the customer and we will certainly figure it out after some additional troubleshooting. Customer told Dina that they were working fine at first but then something changed. I am thinking that something may have gotten banged around a bit in transit and possibly a lead came off one of the bottom woofers...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd WI View Post
    I was amazed how well my Sierra-2's resolved the two guitars into separate instruments on Hey Hey. I actually tried to learn to play that song, but I was never fast enough to hit all the notes at tempo. Years later I read an interview with Clapton where he said they used two guitars on it because he never felt he mastered the song, apparently he couldn't hit all the notes at tempo either.

Big Bill made it look easy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm1qtX7Mz5w
    Thats the song! I Guess you can't feel to bad about not getting it all if Clapton couldn't either Thanks for the link thats fantastic and yes he does make it look easy although you can still tell its gotta be hard to pull off the way his left hand is ripping around.

Have you seen John Butler do Ocean? He plays an 11 string amped acoustic like a mad man. Watch this till the end if you haven't seen it before it really gets good around the 9 min mark. He plays so fast his hand turns into a blur and it doesn't even seem to phase these towers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U

Wow, my forearm cramped up just watching Butler's right hand technique. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    I have owned multiple Axioms for over 7 years now, m80s, m3s, qs8s, ep500, ep175. My M80s sounded ok in a certain volume range and nowhere else. Anything below and they just didn't sound alive and anything above the highs got harsh rapidly. The sweet spot was around 75-85 db about 12' away from them which is much louder than I like to listen too for more than than small periods of time. Even in the sweet spot there is no comparison though these sound so soft and natural compared to the metal domes.

The thing that amazes me the most about these is how incredible they sound at low volumes. I can listen to these at 30db less than the M80 sweet spot and don't feel like I'm missing anything. All of a sudden I'm listening to music late at night after the wife is in bed directly above the living room and don't keep feeling like I need to turn it up, actually I keep thinking I need to turn it down because it sounds so good

Here are the positions I think I'm going to settle on for the towers and sub. I think we're going to move the av rack out from under the tv and put some book shelfs in or a table / anther chair or what ever makes the wife happy and move the equipment into one of the back corners so its more hidden.

At first I had the towers closer to the tv with no toe in, this seemed like it was the optimal position for the towers but it was boxing in the corner where the sub is and causing even more boost out of that corner somewhere between 40 and 80hrtz from the sub. I had it tamed down a bit with the PEQ but once I moved the tower in between the sub and the corner it took most of it away. Dropping the Xover to 60 from 80 seems to have taken the rest away at least to my bass loving ears I tried them back in the corners really tucked in and the sound kept getting pulled to the speakers from the center i assume reflecting off the sidewalls so that was driving me nuts. This position was a compromise between the two. They're not so close to the walls that you can detect the speakers, it's still helping to fix the sub corner problem and kind of keeping them out of the way. Also the left tower doesn't point straight at the couch on the left wall like this so everything stays a little more centered when sitting over there. One of these days I will run Dirac and see what that does. Anyone have any tips? I have never got around to running it before

Attachment 1435
    Attachment 1436

Thanks again these are beyond our expectations and those were pretty high after reading all the glowing reviews
    They look great!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Can anyone with the NRT dome comment on how these sound for home theater? Has anyone A/B'd them to a high efficiency tower such as the PSA? Thanks!

They sound great. and if you ever crank some 2 channel music you will be very pleased
    MacMini > Audirvana > Musical Fidelity V Dac II >
    Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 > Sierra Tower NRT > Rythmik F12SE > My Ears >

Quote Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post
    Can anyone with the NRT dome comment on how these sound for home theater? Has anyone A/B'd them to a high efficiency tower such as the PSA? Thanks!
    Here's a link to the only Sierra Tower/PSA comparison that I know of, but he was comparing the RAAL to the PSAs. It may be of some interest to you, or maybe not.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...zon-tower.html

FWIW, I was also considering the PSA 210 towers and center before I purchased my RAAL Sierra Towers and Horizon last March. I never auditioned the PSAs, so I can't give an opinion on them, but I can say that I am totally happy with the Sierras. I'm >90% music, so I opted for the RAAL tweeter, which in my opinion also sound great for HT.

Good luck with your search!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by UNCMT9 View Post

I had the PSA 210s and compared them to the Sierra tower NrT (and RAAL). For me it really seemed like the 2 speakers were targeting different markets. The PSA were all about super high efficiency, high volume home theater. The Sierra tower struck me as the more musical speaker in that it sounded more complete and the mid-range was more present. I could listen to the Sierra for a much longer period without fatigue.

I think the Sierra towers do a fantastic job at HT. Soundtracks really stand out and they can get very loud...louder than I would ever want to take them.

If you want any particular details between the two I'll be happy to try and answer.

Oops. I just realized that we PM'd on AVS a week or so ago! Either way if you think of anything I'll be happy to respond.

Just a short update about my towers. After being on the phone with David and Dina last week and going through more tests the problem has corrected itself. I did check all the drivers and they were ok. Who knows what caused the problem. I could hear the difference right away after the problem went away. They sound absolutely great now. I thank David for all his suggestions and help. First class customer service for sure.
    Thank you again, David and Dina.

Donald