Page 208 of 271 FirstFirst ... 203204205206207208209210211212213 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Congrats! You're gonna love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    My estimate (from Dina not the ups one) was for them to ship this Monday or Tuesday, I think I put my order in about three days before you posted that your wife bought them for you, Awesome BTW! I got another email tonight saying they were finished and will ship out tomorrow so hopefully yours wont be far behind
    Dina (what a nice Lady) called me yesterday and told me the towers will ship next week. Yes, my wife of 35 years is great, she has her own set up and listening room (all vintage).

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerduck View Post
    Dina (what a nice Lady) called me yesterday and told me the towers will ship next week. Yes, my wife of 35 years is great, she has her own set up and listening room (all vintage).
    Thanks very much for your patience! Seems like our cabinet maker still has some of the satin cherry tower cabinets. He assured us we will have them next week, at which time we will assemble and get your pair shipped as soon as possible. Again, thanks for your understanding!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

The wait is well worth it. I have about 10 hours listening to these straight now and they're fantastic in every way!

Thanks Dave and Dina!
    MacMini -> Emotiva XMC-1 -> Emotiva SA-250 -> RAAL Towers / SVS SB13-U

Quote Originally Posted by rneill View Post
    The wait is well worth it. I have about 10 hours listening to these straight now and they're fantastic in every way!

Thanks Dave and Dina!
    Happy to hear that you are enjoying them and thank *you*
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to hear that you are enjoying them and thank *you*
    I have owned multiple Axioms for over 7 years now, m80s, m3s, qs8s, ep500, ep175. My M80s sounded ok in a certain volume range and nowhere else. Anything below and they just didn't sound alive and anything above the highs got harsh rapidly. The sweet spot was around 75-85 db about 12' away from them which is much louder than I like to listen too for more than than small periods of time. Even in the sweet spot there is no comparison though these sound so soft and natural compared to the metal domes.

The thing that amazes me the most about these is how incredible they sound at low volumes. I can listen to these at 30db less than the M80 sweet spot and don't feel like I'm missing anything. All of a sudden I'm listening to music late at night after the wife is in bed directly above the living room and don't keep feeling like I need to turn it up, actually I keep thinking I need to turn it down because it sounds so good

Here are the positions I think I'm going to settle on for the towers and sub. I think we're going to move the av rack out from under the tv and put some book shelfs in or a table / anther chair or what ever makes the wife happy and move the equipment into one of the back corners so its more hidden.

At first I had the towers closer to the tv with no toe in, this seemed like it was the optimal position for the towers but it was boxing in the corner where the sub is and causing even more boost out of that corner somewhere between 40 and 80hrtz from the sub. I had it tamed down a bit with the PEQ but once I moved the tower in between the sub and the corner it took most of it away. Dropping the Xover to 60 from 80 seems to have taken the rest away at least to my bass loving ears I tried them back in the corners really tucked in and the sound kept getting pulled to the speakers from the center i assume reflecting off the sidewalls so that was driving me nuts. This position was a compromise between the two. They're not so close to the walls that you can detect the speakers, it's still helping to fix the sub corner problem and kind of keeping them out of the way. Also the left tower doesn't point straight at the couch on the left wall like this so everything stays a little more centered when sitting over there. One of these days I will run Dirac and see what that does. Anyone have any tips? I have never got around to running it before

IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG

Thanks again these are beyond our expectations and those were pretty high after reading all the glowing reviews

As a fellow XMC-1 owner, you need to run Dirac. It makes a big difference.

I never had good luck with the auto tuning programs in the past so I was never in a hurry to run this. I bought one of the very early xmc-1s used and never had the program so I never bothered. Dirac didn't even factor into my decision when I bought the xmc-1 I was just looking for something that had high quality DACs and would handle all the HDMI switching and what not that I needed. While I was doing a bunch of research this time around for the new speakers I did some reading about Dirac and it sounds like it is actually worth it so I bought the full version for emotiva. I just wanted to get a week or so on the new setup to decide on a final position and get them to sound as good as I can without the correction so it has less work to do. Also I really need to get the wife to take the dogs out for a bit to run the sweeps. I have tried putting them outside and upstairs in a bedroom to run them but it gets them all worked up and they start barking so there goes the quiet needed lol.

Did you let dirac "fix" the entire frequency range? I have read some have better results setting the curtains to leave the higher frequencies alone.

I bought a 1.4b XMC-1 during the last week of their sale and got it yesterday. Could not get the XMC-1 to share wifi with my desktop, but got a laptop to work with it with no problems at all. Tested without Dirac and it sounded great. Got Dirac running and just accepted the first set of filters it made and holy cow, what a huge difference in my tiny room, which is about 14x19 with some weird geometry and no treatments besides some cheap blackout curtains.

I had a Marantz AV7701 before, which only has Audyssey XT on it. I was getting really sick of the fact that it couldn't decode Netflix's version of Dolby Digital Plus without chirping artifacts happening and I had to use a PS3 in LPCM mode to avoid it. The XMC-1 has no such issues, thankfully.

Dirac is just such a huge step up from Audyssey XT it's incredible. My favorite movie has always been The Blues Brothers, so I fired that up right after I got my filters set and disconnected my laptop. When the gate to the prison opens in the beginning sequence and the music fires up I got goosebumps all over. Incredibly neutral and detailed. The sweet spot seemed to widen over the whole couch instead of just being right in the center. Everything had the right level of dynamics instead of feeling uneven and jolting at times.

The biggest difference that is really making me addicted to this thing is the even quality it gives to bass guitar, finally. One of the hardest thing with my system, even with dual Rythmik F12's, has been getting totally even bass response. I can get it to sound great by myself, but there was always this feeling that upper-end bass notes and bass guitars with a higher tone just didn't sound right. Low notes would sound great with tons of impact, but as they played higher you'd hear an obvious suckout somewhere in there. That is totally gone! Bass guitars sound totally real throughout their whole frequency band. It really ratcheted up the immersion factor for me once more.

Really wish I would have just bit the bullet and bought this unit from the start instead of dealing with the Marantz unit for so long.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post

I had a Marantz AV7701 before, which only has Audyssey XT on it. I was getting really sick of the fact that it couldn't decode Netflix's version of Dolby Digital Plus without chirping artifacts happening and I had to use a PS3 in LPCM mode to avoid it. The XMC-1 has no such issues, thankfully.
    My Onlyo 805, a very old receiver, has never had issues with this annoying chirping from Netflix DD+, since I first started using a Roku 3 in August of 2012. It has only been in the past year that once every 1 or 2 weeks I get a chirp out of my left front speaker. I have never heard this in any other streaming app. I don't care too much about the actual sound, but I don't want it to damage my ribbon tweeter. Hopefully Netflix will resolve this soon. It is definitely on their end, since we see this across multiple streaming devices and AVRs. Hopefully the issue is fine with your new Emotiva processor and not something that will crop up in a week.