Page 16 of 271 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Hi Dave, Im not sure if im understanding your discriptions about the finish of the towers. The available dark cherry and expresso have a satin sheen and are not as glossy as the sierra1. I have the original dark cherry and the finish is quiet glossy, if i decided to buy the towers, the satin sheen wont exactly match the old sierra right? Is it possible to have it finish with that glossy dark cherry? Also, you have mentioned that the these are made locally and can be made with a different finish such as paint or veneer. How much extra for finishing with veneer? Thanks
    Last edited by RicardoJoa; 04-09-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Hi Dave, Im not sure if im understanding your discriptions about the finish of the towers. The available dark cherry and expresso have a satin sheen and are not as glossy as the sierra1. I have the original dark cherry and the finish is quiet glossy, if i decided to buy the towers, the satin sheen wont exactly match the old sierra right? Is it possible to have it finish with that glossy dark cherry? Also, you have mentioned that the these are made locally and can be made with a different finish such as paint or veneer. How much extra for finishing with veneer? Thanks
    This is correct, we will be offering a satin sheen with the Espresso and Dark Cherry finish for the towers. These cabinets are being manufactured here in California and due to extremely restrictive environmental regulations (and costs), the same piano gloss sheen of the dark cherry and espresso Sierra-1 will not be offered.

The stain (grain and hue) will match, but the sheen of the towers is not mirror-like. Most consumers I have spoken with do not want the piano gloss sheen of the bookshelves on the towers -- for a large imposing speaker, it simply becomes too reflective.

Also, you have mentioned that the these are made locally and can be made with a different finish such as paint or veneer. How much extra for finishing with veneer?
    That is correct. The cost will vary considerably based on the specific veneer and/or paint. I would estimate the minimum charge for any type of customized finish will be at least $200 per speaker cabinet.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave.

Dave, is me again. Would like to know what is the best center to match the towers. The oubvious should be the sierra with nrt tweeter, but then the woofer wont exactly match the mid of the tower. How close would they come? Why not use the mid from the tower and have it in TM configuration for the mids?
    Thanks

I asked this same question many weeks ago. My guess is the mid range unit in the Tower will just not have the low frequency ability to match the exceptional Nrt tweeter if used alone in the Sierra 1. I would think an entirely new Sierra 1 woofer will have to be designed and maybe a new crossover. I'm sure that will be forthcoming and, hopefully, be an upgrade to the current model but I wouldn't expect it soon. I'm sure Dave has his hands full with getting the current new speakers to market.

I think I remember reading that there would be a dedicated tower center...

Dave did mention somewhere about a matching 3 way center speaker. It would need to be fairly tall due to the vertical alignment of the midrange & tweeter. That would be flanked on both sides by the woofers.

I'd say, in the meantime, a Sierra-NrT would perform just fine.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Speaking from experience, the towers blend well with the Sierra Nrt I have as a center.

I will be definitely investigating the yet to be released matching center when its ready.

I just did a quick shipping quote via fedex and ups over my place (asia) and im suprised of the cost, it will cost 700-800 to ship those towers over. I hope Dave offer other less costly carriers, otherwise the towers can only be in my want list.

Red face Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Dave,
    Not to throw a monkey wrench into the gears......but, have you
    ever given thought to selling your speakers in kit form for the DIYs out there? You could offer just the parts and enclosure plans, or the complete kit including parts and finished enclosure. Just a thought for saving money. Anyone have an opinion?
    I apologize for the monkey wrench!