Page 12 of 271 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Hey Merry, do you like your "touch" as much as I do?
    omg, take it to pm you two love birds... This isn't the place for that kind of ero-sensual thing!

Bass – I’ll admit, the sierras have phenomenal bass for such a small bookshelf speaker and only a 5.25” driver. So I had pretty high expectations for the Tower version. I was not disappointed. They are by no means a bass monster, but the bass is very articulate and clean. I can say the bass has more “texture” or detail to it than the transmission line design of the Salks [.....] The bass hits hard and low with authority and I have not even come close to their limits.
    Thanks for the detailed review Curious, how much better is the bass on the towers vs the bookshelves? Think I read you had the Paradigms S8, or maybe it was someone else... Anyhow, how would you rate them compared to them, or maybe another speaker besides Salks? (Salks being un-hearable) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    omg, take it to pm you two love birds... This isn't the place for that kind of ero-sensual thing!

Thanks for the detailed review Curious, how much better is the bass on the towers vs the bookshelves? Think I read you had the Paradigms S8, or maybe it was someone else... Anyhow, how would you rate them compared to them, or maybe another speaker besides Salks? (Salks being un-hearable) Thanks!
    HA! ^^^ He asked first

anyway,
    Ok Tower vs Sierra. To me, same quality of bass, not much difference in that regard. I credit that to the same drivers and bamboo cabinet. Amount of extra bass is noticeable on the towers but not a large night/day difference. I believe specs say roughly a 3-4db deeper (anechoic) for the towers. Previously there was no way I would run the sierras without a good quality sub, with the towers, I could live without one(music only). Hope that answers your question.

I have heard a friends Sig8's, not at my place, only the bookshelf version here. They IIRC had larger 6.5"-7" drivers and put out a touch more bass. As for other comparisons, I have not really heard many other Tower speakers lately other than the Paradigms and Salks. I would consider them(Ascends) well above average for bass response but not necessarily in the league of really superb highend big towers with real large cabinets, drivers, etc.

Hope that helped somewhat,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post

Oh I forgot...this is the tower thread. Let me rephrase. Merry do you like your "touch" as much as I do...WHILE IT'S PLAYING THROUGH YOUR NEW ASCEND TOWERS?

Question Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

OK for the geezers in the group...what the Harry is a "Touch". And do I need it? Would I want it?

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    OK for the geezers in the group...what the Harry is a "Touch". And do I need it? Would I want it?
    You need it and after you try it you will be glad you have one

Logitech Touch using Squeezebox server to stream music from your computer and will play HD music with sample rates up to 96kHz/24 bit. It has a touch screen but comes with a remote. It also displays the album art of the music playing (if your music is tagged appropriately). It plays probably 1000's of radio stations and knows by location which ones are local to you.

What I like is to use an iPod touch or iPhone (a device you can add to your wireless network) like Merry and install an app called iPeng. That will work as wireless remote control that you can control from outside, another room or anywhere your wireless network will reach. iPeng displays album art also and you can display by artist, album, genre, year, etc. If you use the search feature it will find and display the music you are searching for most of the time before you are finished typing.

If you don't want to play music on your computers across your network you can plug a USB or SD card directly into the Logitech touch and not even need a network but I use a network as I have thousands of songs.

And to keep in line with this thread you can listen to it through YOUR NEW ASCEND TOWERS!

Mr. Wolfman I understand now. Not sure if I want it but I may need it.
    As for the Towers; I'm waiting to see a layout on the "Home" page showing photos of the finish choices, listing of specifications, and ordering info. I wonder why the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Mr. Wolfman I understand now. Not sure if I want it but I may need it.
    As for the Towers; I'm waiting to see a layout on the "Home" page showing photos of the finish choices, listing of specifications, and ordering info. I wonder why the delay.
    My guess for any delays would be parts availability. The NrT drivers & crossovers were all spoken for and Dave was awaiting the next shipment. That's for the Sierra's. I suspect it is a similar situation for the towers. Remember, the first pair of towers that Merrymaid received are more or less the prototype. I'm sure Dave needs to finalize the little details like cabinet production and parts supply, as well as official packaging. I think he may have underestimated demand, which is a good thing!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Mags,
    If they are half as good as I think they are they will sell like hot cakes!
    I was extremely happy with my original 340s (not the improved ones.) So I am anticipating really fine speakers. Your answer makes sense. Before putting the final Towers up for sale all the ducks have to be in a row. So I'll be patient.......times up.!

Very Sexy looking....if they sound half as good as they lo......................

Default Tower finishes

Hi Guys,

Sorry for all of the delays.

Below are pictures of the initial finishes that will be offered.

Here are Espresso and Dark Cherry, both have a satin finish to them (20 sheen).

These finishes match the Sierra-1, but are not nearly as glossy and don't hide the grain as match.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com